Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I don't think Avedis will be taking out a loan.
If it were 0% interest like I got for the Q50, I would. Otherwise, I'd just write them a check but not with that much markup. I'll never forget buying my first RX-7 as a 25-year-old. I put $500 down as a deposit and had to wait several months for them to get the color and trim level I wanted as they were scarce. At the time, I was working a strike at our paper mill and was working 12-hour days, 7 days a week for 3 weeks then 3 days off and 12-hour nights, 7 days a week for 3 weeks. Rinse and repeat for 8 1/2 months. My salary was converted to an hourly rate, and we were all paid time and a half over 40 hours, so I was getting paid for 106 hours/week. I was either sleeping or working during that time, so no time to go spend money and I accumulated a decent amount of it by the time the strike ended.

My RX-7 finally came in and the dealership called me to come down to pick it up. I show up, look the car over, and told them I'll buy it. They asked me how I was going to finance it. I said I'll pay cash, and will you take a personal check? The car cost $7,500 in 1979 ($31,000 in today's dollars) so they were a little flabbergasted that some young kid would pay cash for the car. They asked if it was alright if they contacted my bank to make sure I had enough money to cover the check. I told them go ahead. They did and the bank said the check was good. I signed the papers, took the keys, and drove away, with the sales manager and finance guy standing in the doorway just staring at me, trying to figure out how some kid could afford to write a check for that car.

If the Vette was being sold at MSRP, I would have thought more seriously about it but no way I'm paying that much over MSRP for a used car. I was born at night, but not last night.

· Registered
1,562 Posts
If the Vette was being sold at MSRP, I would have thought more seriously about it but no way I'm paying that much over MSRP for a used car. I was born at night, but not last night.
I can see dealers justifying a few thousand over MSRP right now since most new desirable sports vehicles have a lot of demand around them, but financing the C8s as they stand is outright poor financial responsibility. Already have seen videos of C8s getting repoed on the street.

If I wanted a fun Corvette and was willing to blow 100k, I would buy a C7 Z06 (and save 20k), and then trade it in when C8 prices are reasonable since the Z06 holds value fairly well.

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I can see dealers justifying a few thousand over MSRP right now since most new desirable sports vehicles have a lot of demand around them, but financing the C8s as they stand is outright poor financial responsibility. Already have seen videos of C8s getting repoed on the street.

If I wanted a fun Corvette and was willing to blow 100k, I would buy a C7 Z06 (and save 20k), and then trade it in when C8 prices are reasonable since the Z06 holds value fairly well.
The same dealership had a new Z06 C7 in black a few years ago and I went to look at it. It had already been purchased sight unseen by some guy in CA so they couldn't let me drive it. They did start it up for me inside the showroom so I could listen to it. It sounded like the devil incarnate inside that small showroom. They sold it for $100K also.

Reactions: nickdaria

· Registered
1,562 Posts
The same dealership had a new Z06 C7 in black a few years ago and I went to look at it. It had already been purchased sight unseen by some guy in CA so they couldn't let me drive it. They did start it up for me inside the showroom so I could listen to it. It sounded like the devil incarnate inside that small showroom. They sold it for $100K also.
That's sweet. Was it low mileage? My buddy picked one up in town for just under 80k a few months ago.

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·

· Super Moderator
4,224 Posts
I bought an '07 Lemans Blue 2LZ Z06 in 2006 on allocation for $3k over invoice. It was a Chevrolet dealership in Bend, OR, and they only had one (1) Z06 allocation for the year. A corvetteforum member typically bought a Corvette from this dealership every year, but he was happy with his '06 Z06, so he worked with the dealership and "gave" me his place in-line/allocation, and all I had to do was order to my specs with $1k deposit.

Fun car. Never tracked it. Wife hated it because many times I would be challenged by idiots in fart-can cars, and she didn't like all the attention.

She is quite happy with my Q60, however, because very few people know how quick these tuned-VR30s can be, so aside from the one time a GT-R pulled up beside us and really wanted to "give it the beans", I just go through the short-shift motions and get up to speed quick, and she quite used to that aspect of my driving. ;)

· Registered
1,562 Posts
I bought an '07 Lemans Blue 2LZ Z06 in 2006 on allocation for $3k over invoice. It was a Chevrolet dealership in Bend, OR, and they only had one (1) Z06 allocation for the year. A corvetteforum member typically bought a Corvette from this dealership every year, but he was happy with his '06 Z06, so he worked with the dealership and "gave" me his place in-line/allocation, and all I had to do was order to my specs with $1k deposit.

Fun car. Never tracked it. Wife hated it because many times I would be challenged by idiots in fart-can cars, and she didn't like all the attention.

She is quite happy with my Q60, however, because very few people know how quick these tuned-VR30s can be, so aside from the one time a GT-R pulled up beside with her in it, I just go through the short-shift motions and get up to speed quick, and she quite used to that aspect of my driving. ;)
I live in a college town with a very active "car community"

We do have very nice sports cars, a couple GTRs, supercars every now and again as well as some truly respectable normal builds. Also countless performance trim German cars that parents buy their kids. That's all fine and good, even if we have to deal with a few 5.0 Mustangs with Corsa Gigashit headers that blow your eardrums out. Only shitty ones are the squatted "trucks"

All this to say, I love the Q50 for the exact reason you said. I hardly get people trying to race me unless I know them or I have my windows down at a red light and it's fairly obvious what's gonna happen. The Q is really a sleeper. But when it does happen, guys in their BRZs and scat packs always think they're going to lose to a mom car and then get wiped. Have had multiple cars pull up at the red after a little race and ask me what I've got under the hood. Always a wholesome little 30 second chat about our cars, and then back to it. It's the part of the car community I really love.

(and don't get me wrong, I have had my fair share of chats like that after getting gapped - notably a built Camaro SS)

Reactions: Wheels43

· Super Moderator
4,224 Posts
The Q is really a sleeper. But when it does happen, guys in their BRZs and scat packs always think they're going to lose to a mom car and then get wiped. Have had multiple cars pull up at the red after a little race and ask me what I've got under the hood. Always a wholesome little 30 second chat about our cars, and then back to it. It's the part of the car community I really love.

(and don't get me wrong, I have had my fair share of chats like that after getting gapped - notably a built Camaro SS)
My latest "interactions" have been with a R32 GT-R (more noise than "go"), but it was fun afterward because we had a side-by-side conversation at the next light, with it being RHD, he then asked "What is THAT?" The other was a built '67 Chevelle, that was two cars in front of me on a double left turn. He gunned it after getting straight, and I proceeded to follow to catch up, and the SOB kept ratcheting up the speed (in a 45 mph zone), so while I was closing on him, I'd be on the other side of a buck-ten in a hurry, and so I cooled my jets until he stopped at the red light about a mile down the road prior to a 90 degree right turn/double-lane on-ramp. This where a chassis designed in the 2010s will cream a chassis from the 60s, so of course I took advantage once that light turned green :sneaky:. Gotta pick your battles... smartly.

· Registered
1,562 Posts
My latest "interactions" have been with a R32 GT-R (more noise than "go"), but it was fun afterward because we had a side-by-side conversation at the next light, with it being RHD, he then asked "What is THAT?" The other was a built '67 Chevelle, that was two cars in front of me on a double left turn. He gunned it after getting straight, and I proceeded to follow to catch up, and the SOB kept ratcheting up the speed (in a 45 mph zone), so while I was closing on him, I'd be on the other side of a buck-ten in a hurry, and so I cooled my jets until he stopped at the red light about a mile down the road prior to a 90 degree right turn/double-lane on-ramp. This where a chassis designed in the 2010s will cream a chassis from the 60s, so of course I took advantage once that light turned green :sneaky:. Gotta pick your battles... smartly.
Love it.

My recent street interactions that I remember have been:
  • A really nice newer red Camaro, didn't catch the trim - but definitely a V8 or at least a convincing enough exhaust: He followed me for a bit before coming behind me at a red light and revving a bit. Showed him what AWD does, and then talked to him for a bit at the light. He came up and goes "God&$*# that thing is fast" I'm sure he was just surprised a mom car dusted him. We went again for fun and I was still pulling away from him in 4th when I let off
  • A couple Mustang GTs - none of them ever manage to even keep up. Notable one is a guy who lost, but decided to just keep accelerating for like a half mile after I let off. Felt a little excessive.
  • An Audi S5 that sounded heavenly: still no clue how I won that one, he had Quattro too.
  • A clearly built white Camaro SS that smelled like E85 with the plate "ULOSE" (or something along that line) I got decimated, it's like I wasn't even on the gas pedal.
  • And of course a fair share of fart cans that think there's a chance

· Premium Member
2018 Q50 RS AWD. Black on Black on Black
252 Posts
Crazy timing for this thread. The wifey was just talking to me this morning about my crazy plans Step 1 of Phase 2 is now complete for Betty...

She asked why don't I just buy the Z06 that I want and make that the project car and keep Betty relatively stock.

Helluva offer from her. But even I can't justify the insane markups for a new C8, let alone those on a new z06. I could build my ultimate dream setup with Betty and still have $75-$100k left over compared to buying a new vette.

Reactions: SkylineDreamz

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I drove this C8 Z51 at the Xtreme Xperience Open Road drive up at Crystal Mountain, WA two weeks ago. For the money, it stacks up nicely against the other cars I drove there. DCT is crisp.

Vehicle Land vehicle Car Grille Wheel

· Premium Member
678 Posts
  • Love
Reactions: jodedor

· Registered
4,228 Posts
Back in 2020 when I was planning to trade in my Q50, Hertz was on the verge of bankruptcy and trying to liquidate their special Camaro and Vettes tuned by Hendrick motorsports. Despite being used rentals, they had really low mileage (1k - 5k miles). Camaro SS were on low 40k and the z06s were low 60s and under. Many of them were up for sale in Hertz used car lot in Houston. If I knew the used car prices would go crazy, I could have bought one instead of the 740i.

Hertz took them out of used car sales and put them back to the rental fleet a few months later.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts