Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in getting performance gains from a catback on my 2017 Q50. However I'm not interested in making the car much louder. I was entertaining just doing the y pipe and mid pipe, leaving the OEM axle back. My hope is that the noise level would not increase much, and I'm also thinking the performance loss of leaving the OEM axle back would be minimal at the most. I'm curious if anybody else has done this or if anybody knows of a cat back that is pretty quiet. My biggest worry is droning, I cant stand that. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm interested in getting performance gains from a catback on my 2017 Q50. However I'm not interested in making the car much louder. I was entertaining just doing the y pipe and mid pipe, leaving the OEM axle back. My hope is that the noise level would not increase much, and I'm also thinking the performance loss of leaving the OEM axle back would be minimal at the most. I'm curious if anybody else has done this or if anybody knows of a cat back that is pretty quiet. My biggest worry is droning, I cant stand that. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.
I have the HKS exhaust on my 19 q50. It’s the one with optional dump pipes in the center which I have capped off. It’s literally perfect for me this way. It sounds plenty sporty without any drone. With dump pipes on, it gets loud enough if you want. Best of both world. I’m a bit older with grown kids, so maybe I’m just not the norm around here. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
903 Posts
Generally speaking, the longer the muffler casing, the quieter it will. Similarly, the smaller the exhaust tubing (say 2.5" vs. 3"), the quieter it will be. Make sure the tailpipes extend past the fascia. If it's behind it, especially far from it, there may some reverberation that will add to the "noise".

Also a 'glasspack', such as a Magnaflow (oval gp for all intensive purposes) will probably be deeper/louder than a nice performance turbo muffler. Avoid chambered mufflers also. Personally, I like turbo mufflers on my vehicles, as they offer good performance, decent price and aren't obnoxious (provided you don't go tiny with the casing and eliminate the cats, etc. [which act as a muffler of sorts]).

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I did a custom 2.5” true dual exhaust with flowmaster flow Fx mufflers. She’s grumbly on cold start and when you get high into the RPMs, but stock quiet while cruising, and no drone. Works well for me. 15 years ago, it’d wouldn’t be loud enough for me, but its just right for me now. Best part is it was cheaper at my local muffler shop than a brand name cat back.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I like the idea of having a eexhaust shop build a cat back for me. I see a y pipe and a mid pipe can be bought for 5-600$. I may buy that and then possibly have the axle back built or leave the OEM, not really sure.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a custom 2.5” true dual exhaust with flowmaster flow Fx mufflers. She’s grumbly on cold start and when you get high into the RPMs, but stock quiet while cruising, and no drone. Works well for me. 15 years ago, it’d wouldn’t be loud enough for me, but its just right for me now. Best part is it was cheaper at my local muffler shop than a brand name cat back.
How much did it run you to have the exhaust built?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I like the idea of having a eexhaust shop build a cat back for me. I see a y pipe and a mid pipe can be bought for 5-600$. I may buy that and then possibly have the axle back built or leave the OEM, not really sure.
I have full exhaust all the way to the stock muffler. Perfect for me. Better flow and less restriction, but the large stock muffler keeps things at near stock levels until you go WOT. It was this or a cutout. I've tried multiple mufflers and they were all too loud for my taste.

·
Registered
2018 Signature.
2,675 Posts
You can have a look at what I did, leave the OEM exhaust, do a Y pipe before the muffler, it works like the HKS.

Attachments

Reactions: Darren Lewis

·
Registered
2017 Q50S
399 Posts
Invidia seems to make the quietest exhaust. I'll be adding a mid pipe to my setup this spring and keeping the stock muffler. It made just under 470 through the stock mid pipe and in talking with AMS they don't think the factory muffler is that bad of a bottleneck. Between this and a HPFP I hope to get just under 500 HP but we will see with the LDPs.

·
Registered
2016 Q50 Redsport 400 RWD
287 Posts
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet but if you only want to be quiet then go with the Stillen system, easily one of if not the quietest exhaust system for our cars

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have full exhaust all the way to the stock muffler. Perfect for me. Better flow and less restriction, but the large stock muffler keeps things at near stock levels until you go WOT. It was this or a cutout. I've tried multiple mufflers and they were all too loud for my taste.
This is the setup I'm most intrigued by. You don't get any droning or anything like that right?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The invidia setup did seem somewhat quiet. The stillen with carbon tips looked the best to me, but the mufflers looked small which made me think they are probably moderately loud. I also read somewhere that the stillen setup drones...

·
Registered
2017 Q50S
399 Posts
Jump on the Midwest Q's Facebook group if you haven't already. We do some meets and you can check out some exhausts there. I'm not a loud exhaust guy so I've tried to keep it as stock sounding as possible so far. People are surprised my car sounds so quiet while running 11s at the drag strip. Wind noise is louder than the exhaust lol

This is the setup I'm most intrigued by. You don't get any droning or anything like that right?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Stay away from borla if you want down pipes of any sort. You will sound like trumpet playing full on rasp with lots of drone!!!

I'm adding resonators tomorrow and removing the harmonizer. Will give an update.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts