Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a RWD 2017 infinti q50 3.0t premium with just a jb4. I’ve been losing coolant and having my engine temperature go up for some time now. I’ve taken it in several times and passed the pressure test and internal leak test for coolant (so hopefully not a head gasket). This has me stumped because usually if it’s not one it’s the other. I’ve also changed the cap for the coolant reservoir to see if that was the issue with no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions or had a similar experience?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the same issue with the same model year but AWD. the only thing is my temperature stays the same. I did test and cant find where. i plan on dropping the engine tho and upgrading RT turbos but lmk why its being lost

·
Registered
2,393 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the same issue with the same model year but AWD. the only thing is my temperature stays the same. I did test and cant find where. i plan on dropping the engine tho and upgrading RT turbos but lmk why its being lost
[/QUOTE
If I needed a block replacement would a internal leak test not catch that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ooooo sounds nice. good luck with the build. Lmk if you find anything when you pull the engine and ill give you an update when possible.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
If I needed a block replacement would a internal leak test not catch that?
it SHOULD.

has anyone checked the water pump or multiway valve? any leaks on the ground right after driving or overnight? coolant smell at all? are there any codes to speak of, stored or otherwise? fan operation might be something to check as well. send in an oil sample to blackstone to have it analyzed. youll know for sure then.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
Infiniti Q50 Premium 3.0t AWD
1,239 Posts
Throw cardboard under the car with the skid tray off. Run it from a cold start to warmup. See if there is coolant on the cardboard.

I didn't see any when I did it. Lo and behold, new engine needed.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,100 Posts
Easiest and best way to determine coolant intrusion into the engine is Blackstone oil analysis.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,100 Posts
Easiest and best way to determine coolant intrusion into the engine is Blackstone oil analysis.
I just saw I passed 17K posts. I gotta get a life.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
fwiw - apparently my water pump was leaking and didn't even know it. As in, there were no physical signs anything was amiss, with regard to seeing the fluid. Only reason I knew is the Q was at the dealer for a stuck injector and they found it was leaking and replaced it (warranty). Strange too, since I don't recall seeing any appreciable loss in the reservoir or anything. Must've been a slow leak maybe or just started, not sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it SHOULD.

has anyone checked the water pump or multiway valve? any leaks on the ground right after driving or overnight? coolant smell at all? are there any codes to speak of, stored or otherwise? fan operation might be something to check as well. send in an oil sample to blackstone to have it analyzed. youll know for sure then.
Water pump wouldve been the next assumption but they swear up and down their pressure test wouldve found it and don't want to do any further insoection on it. I have on leak behind the passenger side front wheel but its just water and is most likely just AC. NO coolant smell after a drive in the engine bay or under the car atll. I have checked for codes and i have none. I haven't looked into my fan as an issue yet. If the fan is the issue would that explain the lost coolant? Would it make evaporate faster due to the heat?? Im not sure how the fan effects the coolant levels. Thank you for the suggestion for the blackstone sample, that completely slipped my mind. Thanks for the helpful questions

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Throw cardboard under the car with the skid tray off. Run it from a cold start to warmup. See if there is coolant on the cardboard.

I didn't see any when I did it. Lo and behold, new engine needed.
Will be doing this when i get a chance thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully its not too bad because my warranty recently expired

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it SHOULD.

Also with a failed engine it should feel worse to drive or at least have white smoke from the engine bruning coolant. I have neither for these things. I literally have Lower down pipes just sitting in my room because I dont want to stick something on the car when its broken. I hope I get thsi resolved soon

·
Registered
Infiniti Q50 Premium 3.0t AWD
1,239 Posts
Also with a failed engine it should feel worse to drive or at least have white smoke from the engine bruning coolant. I have neither for these things. I literally have Lower down pipes just sitting in my room because I dont want to stick something on the car when its broken. I hope I get thsi resolved soon
Infiniti will work with you if you're recently out of warranty.

Also, I didn't have white smoke at first, but by the time it drank the whole tank of coolant in a couple minutes, I did have a very sweet smell in my exhaust. No smoke though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Infiniti will work with you if you're recently out of warranty.

Also, I didn't have white smoke at first, but by the time it drank the whole tank of coolant in a couple minutes, I did have a very sweet smell in my exhaust. No smoke though.
Ok will look into the smell but I havent smelled anything since I have had the issue but will double check. Hopefully infiniti takes the warranty as well.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,100 Posts
Actually i pulled a dtc from my cars computer P26AB. I believe this is the collant bypass valve stuck open would that be causing my issue?
Font Parallel Number Document

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Read the heading for "detection logic" coolant is making its way past a seal or a valve is stuck open, or you have a bad temperature sensor.
Since you've noted loosing coolant and higher than normal temperatures most likely there is a bad seal.

Oil analysis will confirm this and you can bring it in for warranty repairs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts