Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, a friend of mine is having a serious issue with his steering on the Q50. The vehicle has the DBW, aka Direct Adaptive Steering. It is a 2015 Q50.

The steering fails to operate, left or right, just dies. He had the recall service performed and it worked fine for 3 days and then died again. If he turns the car off/on several times it will usually start working again.

He has the vehicle at the dealer and they quoted him $7,000.00 to repair the problem. They claim the harness, module and relays are all bad. This doesn't sound like a proper diagnosis to me as it is hard to believe all the parts they mention are bad, sounds like a guessing game to me.

I am probably going to check the harness for him and look for damaged wires, corrosion etc. Before I get in to that I figured you guys would know a little better as to what the common problems are.

Some questions:

If we get a used working module, either 1 of the 3, could they be swapped out for testing or do they need to be programmed/flashed?

Has anyone had trouble with the harness with either corrosion, breaks or pinches?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
If hes got a 2015 it should be under warranty all of that work should be on Infiniti's dime and not your friends, also you weren't very clear if he only started having issues after the recall service was performed.
If the issues appeared only after he had the recall work done then it sounds like the dealership messed up somehow so even if not covered by warranty that too should be on their dime.

This is not something your friend should be paying out of pocket, if the dealer pushes back on him again tell him to escalate to the General manager
who runs the shop if they push back again submit a complaint directly to Infiniti.

As far as diagnostics go DAS has 3 redundant ECU modules however as I understand it does not have redundant sensors in the steering wheel,
based on what you've said I suspect the sensor there has partially failed (either by software or physically) if the system had outright failed
then the ECU should engage the clutch so manual steering is available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. I don't know where he got the car but there is obviously no warranty. He had the problem before the recall service. It was intermitting. He would be driving and lose the steering, got tight, if you moved it manually it felt like it was trying to fight you and you can even hear a noise, a clunk when moving back and forth. After a few restarts it would engage and work normally.

They performed the recall and it was fine for 3 days then started again. Strange problem for sure. When electronics go bad they usually fail completely. The diagnosis to me sounded like they don't really know and are just going to replace everything.

A failure like this at the right time can really get someone hurt.

·
Registered
365 Posts
was the car in any serious accident? Rebuilt Title? Just guessing...

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Thanks for your input. I don't know where he got the car but there is obviously no warranty. He had the problem before the recall service. It was intermitting. He would be driving and lose the steering, got tight, if you moved it manually it felt like it was trying to fight you and you can even hear a noise, a clunk when moving back and forth. After a few restarts it would engage and work normally.

They performed the recall and it was fine for 3 days then started again. Strange problem for sure. When electronics go bad they usually fail completely. The diagnosis to me sounded like they don't really know and are just going to replace everything.

A failure like this at the right time can really get someone hurt.
No warranty that doesn't make much sense? Admittedly I don't know how they classify DAS but but typically it would be 4-6 years of coverage at least, so your friend should be right on the nose.

I'd agree it doesn't sound like the dealership knows what the issue is, I pulled up the wiring harness for the car and it costs $2,000 so assuming even a lot of labor is involved to re-wire
it sounds like they plan to replace the entire section.

But yes usually electronics will fail outright, but if the DAS system was updated in the past at any point and the update failed to complete correctly it could explain
the issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have to get some details from him. It just sounded strange but I told him I would take a look at it. I think the modules are behind the bumper along with the harness. I am expecting there is something going on that I wasn't made aware of. Maybe an accident, somebody hacked the harness. I've worked on cars for many years and don't usually see reasons to replace an entire harness. I have only see the issue when a car was flooded, major accident or hacked.

There is the one or two cars where a wire rubbed and became bare causing issues so anything is possible. I seriously doubt that this is a failure that happened from natural sources especially given the age of the vehicle. If it was 20 years old with 200k miles well.. that would make more sense.

Thanks for the input.

If a used module is swapped out, is that plug and play or is flashing required?

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
If you are swapping out the ECU modules and they are running different versions of Firmware I suspect that flashing would be required, for the
actual steering wheel sensor itself I don't think it would need any flashing.

At least so says my IT background, I've never had to replace a sensor like that on a car myself so that's just a guess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, just got my Q50s hybird 2014 model with very minor accident on the front bumper LH (driver side), I shipped the vehicle from US to Oman. and the Power Steering control module were missing, I have purchased the module and fitted it is not working in the meanwhile. After several research it seems it requires programming. I took the car to one of my friend he just done dingos and he said he is unable to access to the module is that required coding or any other type of programming required . I end up calling the dealer they said to get them the vehicle for checkup and since it is US space they need to confirm if the reading is the same or different after that they can do the needful.

can any be assist please

1 - 8 of 8 Posts