Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I hope I can get some guidance on this issue. I have a 2018 Q50 Luxe and recently started experience a loud, almost vibrating sound coming from the car on cold starts and while driving at low RPMS, especially at around 1100. It’s very loud and the car seems to vibrate but right when I open the driver side door, it stops. I can’t seem to figure out what it is. I thought at first it may have been something to do with the electrical wiring since I did install an aftermarket Apple CarPlay into the car but I don’t think it is since it stops right when I open the door.

Here is a Dropbox link that has the video of the sound I am experiencing:

thank you all in advance

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Watched the vid a few times but have no idea. Is it coming thru the speakers?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Watched the vid a few times but have no idea. Is it coming thru the speakers?
it isn’t coming through the speakers. I’ve had the car volume muted and it still does it. It’s so weird. I think something might be loose in the driver side door

·
Premium Member
Infiniti Q50 '17 Redsport, Dynamic Sunstone. Trunk Strong Arm struts. Red
190 Posts
Maybe an obvious guess but could it be the driver's side turbo wastegate linkage?

Some dealers I've been known to change turbos for linkages that have excessive play.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe an obvious guess but could it be the driver's side turbo wastegate linkage?

Some dealers I've been known to change turbos for linkages that have excessive play.
I didn’t even know that was a thing. I’m taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I’ll ask them to take a look at that!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I received the car back from Infiniti and they thought the headliner was loose which was causing the loud hum. It didn’t fix the issue though. After doing some research, I think it has to do with the active noise cancelling feature in the car. I’m taking the car to the Mech that installed the CarPlay to see if he can figure it out.

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q50 RS400 AWD
218 Posts
Kiddah? There's a way to disable to mics in the cabin via lower screen

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kiddah? There's a way to disable to mics in the cabin via lower screen
the Setting doesn’t display unless you have the Bose Sound system. I’ve tried to disable it before but couldn’t find it. Any idea how to do that?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,833 Posts
Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) isn't causing your problem, so don't mess with the mics. I doubt it is the Active Sound Enhancement either, as it does not use the mics to generate enhanced engine sounds. Since you don't have a Bose system, you can't go into the Diagnostic Menu to enable/disable ANC or ASE. If you want to eliminate ANC/ASE as a possible source of your noise (I don't think it is), you'll have to unplug the Active Noise Control Unit. That will kill ANC and ASE.

The Active Noise Control Unit (#14) is mounted underneath the rear deck. You can access it from the trunk. Just unplug the large white connector from the Active Noise Control Unit and see if your sound is still there. I suspect it will be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) isn't causing your problem, so don't mess with the mics. I doubt it is the Active Sound Enhancement either, as it does not use the mics to generate enhanced engine sounds. Since you don't have a Bose system, you can't go into the Diagnostic Menu to enable/disable ANC or ASE. If you want to eliminate ANC/ASE as a possible source of your noise (I don't think it is), you'll have to unplug the Active Noise Control Unit. That will kill ANC and ASE.

The Active Noise Control Unit (#14) is mounted underneath the rear deck. You can access it from the trunk. Just unplug the large white connector from the Active Noise Control Unit and see if your sound is still there. I suspect it will be.

View attachment 96915
that is great information! Thank you. I will try it out and let you know. Do you have any idea what the noise is or where it is coming from? Have you experienced it before?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,833 Posts
that is great information! Thank you. I will try it out and let you know. Do you have any idea what the noise is or where it is coming from? Have you experienced it before?
I don't know what is causing the noise and haven't heard that sound before. Sounds more like something in the cabin is loose and has a resonant frequency close to what the car is generating when idling or at low RPMs.

Does opening and closing any other doors besides the driver's door cause the sound to go away or is it only the driver's door?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know what is causing the noise and haven't heard that sound before. Sounds more like something in the cabin is loose and has a resonant frequency close to what the car is generating when idling or at low RPMs.

Does opening and closing any other doors besides the driver's door cause the sound to go away or is it only the driver's door?
Opening and closing the other doors also makes it go away but it comes back as soon as I close the door. I tried it this morning with the passenger side door.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,833 Posts
Listening to your audio clip again, I noticed a short, buzzing sound of about the same frequency that the car was making when you closed the driver's door and then the sound stopped. I'm now thinking you've got something loose in the driver's door or something in the driver's door is touching another part of the door's internals and vibrating in sync with the low frequency engine vibrations. You might consider pulling the driver's door panel and inspecting the internals for potential sources of the sound. Just a guess.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Listening to your audio clip again, I noticed a short, buzzing sound of about the same frequency that the car was making when you closed the driver's door and then the sound stopped. I'm now thinking you've got something loose in the driver's door or something in the driver's door is touching another part of the door's internals and vibrating in sync with the low frequency engine vibrations. You might consider pulling the driver's door panel and inspecting the internals for potential sources of the sound. Just a guess.
im taking it to my friend this weekend to fiddle and see what he can find. I will let him know. It’s odd because it happens when I’m driving as well at that RPM and around 1800 RPM

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,833 Posts
im taking it to my friend this weekend to fiddle and see what he can find. I will let him know. It’s odd because it happens when I’m driving as well at that RPM and around 1800 RPM
Different harmonic resonance frequencies? Like I said, something vibrating in the door is just a guess.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So Infiniti couldn’t figure it out but I think I did. I replaced the 3.5mm aux cable that came with the CarPlay module I have installed and they seemed to do the trick. The aux cable connected from the CarPlay module to a aux to USB adapter that plugs into the USB port in the centre compartment. It must have been interfering with something. I changed out the cable with a higher quality cable about a week ago and haven’t heard any loud hums since

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,833 Posts
So Infiniti couldn’t figure it out but I think I did. I replaced the 3.5mm aux cable that came with the CarPlay module I have installed and they seemed to do the trick. The aux cable connected from the CarPlay module to a aux to USB adapter that plugs into the USB port in the centre compartment. It must have been interfering with something. I changed out the cable with a higher quality cable about a week ago and haven’t heard any loud hums since
Poorly shielded cables will introduce hum into electronics. CarPlay must be using cheap cables in their kit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Poorly shielded cables will introduce hum into electronics. CarPlay must be using cheap cables in their kit.
Exactly what I’m thinking. That’s the only one I can change right now. I’ll look at see what other cables that can be replace. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey everyone,

I found the issue. It turns out that it was the ANC that was causing the problem. I unplugged the brown ANC mic above the sunglass unit and the other one behind the sunroof and haven’t had any feedback since then. Since the Luxe doesn’t have the Bose surround sound, there was no way to disable ANC in the hidden settings. I had to unplug them unfortunately.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone,

I found the issue. It turns out that it was the ANC that was causing the problem. I unplugged the brown ANC mic above the sunglass unit and the other one behind the sunroof and haven’t had any feedback since then. Since the Luxe doesn’t have the Bose surround sound, there was no way to disable ANC in the hidden settings. I had to unplug them unfortunately.
Any update since then??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts