Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed lower downpipes with just the Tanabe axle back and it was too raspy and loud. Loud enough on cold start to tick off my neighbors. I had to put the OEM muffler back on. My question is has anyone ran lower dp's with an aftermarket y, resonated mids and oem muffler? Would the muffler bottle neck negate opening up all the other piping? Wasn't sure how restrictive it was since it has such a large chamber. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I ran exactly that for a while. About 2k (Yes Two Thousand) miles until my Megan racing Y Pipe split at the flex and now I am just using AMS LDPs with the rest stock.. I am going to get a Fast Intentions (res) CB very soon.

Pic for proof that Megan Y pipe was junk:

Reactions: IridiumRS400

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that's crap quality. I have been reading nothing but bad things about Megan Y pipes. I was thinking of Tanabe y and midpipe with the factory muffler to keep things quiet. Seems like there aren't many options for a quiet 2.5" exhaust. If Invidia made a Q300 for these cars I would be all over it.

Reactions: u1arunit

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,342 Posts
Wow, that's crap quality. I have been reading nothing but bad things about Megan Y pipes. I was thinking of Tanabe y and midpipe with the factory muffler to keep things quiet. Seems like there aren't many options for a quiet 2.5" exhaust. If Invidia made a Q300 for these cars I would be all over it.
FI CBE w/resonators and the 14" touring mufflers is quiet. I recommend it for a sleeper exhaust.

Those flex fittings are junk.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran exactly that for a while. About 2k (Yes Two Thousand) miles until my Megan racing Y Pipe split at the flex and now I am just using AMS LDPs with the rest stock.. I am going to get a Fast Intentions (res) CB very soon.

Pic for proof that Megan Y pipe was junk: View attachment 91275
So when you ran the aftermarket Y did you notice any improvements? Any increase in sound from the stock muffler? I am looking for a larger diameter system with just a little increase in sound.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
4,026 Posts
I recommend all or nothing. Lower down pipes back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recommend all or nothing. Lower down pipes back.
Which wouldn't be an issue if there was a silent option. It only leaves me with the stock muffler :/

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
So when you ran the aftermarket Y did you notice any improvements? Any increase in sound from the stock muffler? I am looking for a larger diameter system with just a little increase in sound.
A little bit more power, maybe. Sound wise is definitely more vocal than stock y pipe and mid. Raspy though, which I hate.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
4,026 Posts
Which wouldn't be an issue if there was a silent option. It only leaves me with the stock muffler :/
How about OEM LDPs but full CB? One of the quieter ones.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have AMS downpipes, Megan Y pipe, stock the rest of the way back. I was going to get the Tanabe mid but decided against it as there is the tiniest bit of rasp with my current setup. The Megan Y Pipe did change my tone

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help guys. I deff don't want any rasp. I don't mind louder exhausts but I go into work at 3:30am so I have to respect my neighbors. Seems like some people get rasp with aftermarket y and mid and some don't, weird. I would like to keep the 2.5" diameter of the LDP's all the way back but not if it is going to cause rasp. Maybe bets to just leave it as is and move on to WMI :)

·
Registered
183 Posts

Pic for proof that Megan Y pipe was junk: View attachment 91275
I almost went this route, but the FI sounded so good on their YouTube and I figured why not have 2.5" all the way back. I ordered my FI CBE Feb 11th so should be shipping soonish??? I should call them to see if they are delayed from coronavirus.

Im also an early worker so hopefully my neighbors dont hate me because I have AMS LDPs that I'll be putting on when the CBE gets here.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,342 Posts
I almost went this route, but the FI sounded so good on their YouTube and I figured why not have 2.5" all the way back. I ordered my FI CBE Feb 11th so should be shipping soonish??? I should call them to see if they are delayed from coronavirus.

Im also an early worker so hopefully my neighbors dont hate me because I have AMS LDPs that I'll be putting on when the CBE gets here.
Did you get the resonator option and the 14" touring mufflers like I did? I have the HKS resonated LDPs also and the combination of those two gives me quiet cruising yet at WOT, you'll definitely hear it. No drone. I'd recommend this combination to anyone looking for a sleeper exhaust that still provides as much HP and torque improvement as a loud exhaust.

Reactions: jaydubb71

·
Registered
183 Posts
Did you get the resonator option and the 14" touring mufflers like I did? I have the HKS resonated LDPs also and the combination of those two gives me quiet cruising yet at WOT, you'll definitely hear it. No drone. I'd recommend this combination to anyone looking for a sleeper exhaust that still provides as much HP and torque improvement as a loud exhaust.
I went sport (10") and non-res. I'm not too worried about prolonged drone since I do shorter drives mostly in standard mode. Also for early morning cold starts, I have an insulated attached garage, and I always auto start the car while putting on my shoes and then open the garage a few seconds later. I then baby it on the way out of my sub to let the fluids get flowing and warm up.

Plus the Ms. is about to get a Crosstrek and that will be our designated road trip/grocery getter.

Here is the sound I'm going for, but I believe he doesnt have LDPs only CBE.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went sport (10") and non-res. I'm not too worried about prolonged drone since I do shorter drives mostly in standard mode. Also for early morning cold starts, I have an insulated attached garage, and I always auto start the car while putting on my shoes and then open the garage a few seconds later. I then baby it on the way out of my sub to let the fluids get flowing and warm up.

Plus the Ms. is about to get a Crosstrek and that will be our designated road trip/grocery getter.

Here is the sound I'm going for, but I believe he doesnt have LDPs only CBE.
Did you end up getting your cbe ? Or got backordered?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Did you end up getting your cbe ? Or got backordered?
I bought mine back in February so it was only the standard 4/5 weeks for them to build and ship it to me, no back order.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought mine back in February so it was only the standard 4/5 weeks for them to build and ship it to me, no back order.
Nice ! How's it sound with the no res 10" and the 3" dp . I'm not sure if to call them and ask for res if it to loud or has alot of rasp .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts