Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Difference? The LDP and CBE made a great difference in the quality of sound. The car seemed to drive about the same. Maybe a bit more grunt. The tune seems to have created early torque and a long flat curve above 400 between 3000 and 5500 rpm. It's a beast. The car pulls hard in any gear. The tune made the transmission shift a little more firmly and quickly in Sport+ mode. In standard mode, the car seems about the same until I get hard on the throttle. Then I better be paying attention.

For example when exiting my neighborhood, I must accelerate from stopped to 55 to blend with traffic. Most of the time the traffic only presents small holes. The asphalt is polished and I've never gotten good traction wet or dry. I used to accelerate gently to 20 and then lean on it to blend with traffic. Now however, if i get on it below 40 the car will lose traction. All that torque is new to me. I like it.

The car definitely is quicker than stock. The dyno backs that up. The power band is wide and very useable. If I were to give the butt dyno impressions, I would say about half of the difference came from the exhaust changes and the other half from the tune. The HE makes it possible to pull hard after sitting in traffic on a hot day.

Drove my son's S3 today. The S3 is quick, but it does not pull like my Q. I like mine better.
Where did you get yours tuned? I live in Houston too and don't have a tuner yet. I already installed the ams heat exchanger and hks blow off valves and was considering remote tuning with ams or possibly taking a trip to Illinois when I have vacation to get it tuned along with the fuel pump upgrade installation. But if there's a good place in Houston that'd be great!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
When I called and spoke with AMS about installing LDP's without a tune and they reccomended against it.
Bah! I've had the FI LDPs and CBE on for over a year and a half, and I've added the BT JB4 and the AMS HE in the interim.

If the LDPs were so bad w/o a tune, then my motor should have self-destructed some time ago.

Here's an acceleration run w/FI LDPs and CBE w/o JB4 or HE:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Where did you get yours tuned? I live in Houston too and don't have a tuner yet. I already installed the ams heat exchanger and hks blow off valves and was considering remote tuning with ams or possibly taking a trip to Illinois when I have vacation to get it tuned along with the fuel pump upgrade installation. But if there's a good place in Houston that'd be great!

I got it tuned at https://theshophouston.com/. They also installed my AMS HE. I have had no issues and the car pulls like a beast. One thing though, they did not include the hardware with the tune. They have a strong relationship with AMS. They might even help you with an AMS remote tune.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got it tuned at https://theshophouston.com/. They also installed my AMS HE. I have had no issues and the car pulls like a beast. One thing though, they did not include the hardware with the tune. They have a strong relationship with AMS. They might even help you with an AMS remote tune.
I was looking up places the day after I sent that message and saw it's literally called "The Shop" on Brittmoore lol. I'm gonna have to check them out. Did you buy the hardware yourself or were you just comfortable with the tune they did and you'll take it back when you change more?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was looking up places the day after I sent that message and saw it's literally called "The Shop" on Brittmoore lol. I'm gonna have to check them out. Did you buy the hardware yourself or were you just comfortable with the tune they did and you'll take it back when you change more?

I purchased the HE from di_parts. The guys at The Shop will sell you one. I was considering a remote tune, but chose to have them do it. I got a license from EcuTek, but no programming hardware. My change list on the engine is likely complete; FI LDP+CBE, AMS HE, and 93 octane. My next wants are lighter wheels and LSD.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
My next wants are lighter wheels and LSD.
You can also save (in un-sprung weight) 10 lbs/front corner and 5 lbs/rear corner with the 2-piece brake rotors from Z1 Motorsports. So you might add these rotors to your "want" list :)

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,219 Posts
+1 on the Z1 2 piece rotors. I noticed the difference in the first 6 miles. Then my forged rims were put on. 22 lbs each wheel in the front less than OEM (rotors and rim). 17 lbs less in the rear each (Rim & rotor) than OEM.

Reactions: BlueSleeper

·
Registered
120 Posts
You can also save (in un-sprung weight) 10 lbs/front corner and 5 lbs/rear corner with the 2-piece brake rotors from Z1 Motorsports. So you might add these rotors to your "want" list :)

Agreed. Spreadsheet updated. I was looking at some Carbon Fiber wheels, but they need to be reduced in price close to one order of magnitude. Just move the decimal to the left one digit and I'm in. It seems the light weight rotors might be attained more quickly.:laugh:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Can't you tune the CEL light out with ECUTEK?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,219 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
112 Posts
Difference? The LDP and CBE made a great difference in the quality of sound. The car seemed to drive about the same. Maybe a bit more grunt. The tune seems to have created early torque and a long flat curve above 400 between 3000 and 5500 rpm. It's a beast. The car pulls hard in any gear. The tune made the transmission shift a little more firmly and quickly in Sport+ mode. In standard mode, the car seems about the same until I get hard on the throttle. Then I better be paying attention.

For example when exiting my neighborhood, I must accelerate from stopped to 55 to blend with traffic. Most of the time the traffic only presents small holes. The asphalt is polished and I've never gotten good traction wet or dry. I used to accelerate gently to 20 and then lean on it to blend with traffic. Now however, if i get on it below 40 the car will lose traction. All that torque is new to me. I like it.

The car definitely is quicker than stock. The dyno backs that up. The power band is wide and very useable. If I were to give the butt dyno impressions, I would say about half of the difference came from the exhaust changes and the other half from the tune. The HE makes it possible to pull hard after sitting in traffic on a hot day.

Drove my son's S3 today. The S3 is quick, but it does not pull like my Q. I like mine better.
I like the note on the S3. I just sold my GIAC tuned S3 for the Q50. I look forward to getting a tune, LDP, mid pipe and y pipe to open it up and feel some power.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts