Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I remove the chrome trim on the trunk lid? The lower one, not the one with Infiniti written on it. Mine is loose and I want to secure it or replace it.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
How do I remove the chrome trim on the trunk lid? The lower one, not the one with Infiniti written on it. Mine is loose and I want to secure it or replace it.
I'm like 90% sure it is double stick tape. That's what the shop who painted mine told me and, when I look at mine, I can see that's how they reinstalled it. I really wish I knew that ahead of time, I would have just removed it instead of paint it. Please do report back when you figure it out and tell us if there are any holes or markings behind it.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
If that's the case (double sided tape and it's loose already), I would say a pressure washer would be the fastest way to remove it. The car wash took the exterior B-pillar trim off my Legacy after the dealership broke a mounting tab on it.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
If for some strange reason, Pb's pressure washer method fails, I would heat up the lower trunk trim piece real good with a blow dryer, then use fishing wire, wrapped around your two index fingers, to run behind the trim, separating it from the trunk. Use some Goo Gone and a soft microfiber towel to remove any leftover adhesive. Wear gloves when you wrap the fishing wire around your fingers. Having a second person continuing to run the blow dryer over the trim piece as you work the fishing wire can be helpful.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Ah, it looks like I was wrong. It looks like the trim piece uses a combination of three push tabs and a thin perimeter of double stick. So, it seems like there will be three holes in the trunk.

To remove, I'm guessing use fishing wire all around the perimeter to break the sticky seal, then use a plastic trim pull tool and soft clothe to pull the trim straight back and off. Just a guess though!

OP, maybe one of your tabs popped out and you can simply push it back in?

(Click pic for ebay link. )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts