Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finished the install for the LSAILT android top screen unit and am very pleased with the results. This is the Android unit sold through Aliexpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32805010245.html

I will say, installation was not simple and the directions weren't included with the unit but sent to me via google drive upon request. It took me about 3 days to get it right and some help from the forum to find the right signal feed for the backup cam. However, now that it is complete I am extremely happy with the unit.

Android runs on the upper screen and has WAZE installed so when I connect to the hotspot on my phone that is the default navigation app. In addition I have Google maps, Pandora, Spotify, and all the usual android apps installed. The CarPlay functionality works exactly as expected as soon as the iPhone is connected to the dongle which I have mounted in the armrest. Overall, I would recommend this solution to anyone looking to add CarPlay functionality to their Infiniti.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
4,379 Posts
Very cool, thanks walshbr. So, in addition to the added apps, are all the OEM functions still there, if needed? I would love to run Waze on the upper screen, very cool indeed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have just finished the install for the LSAILT android top screen unit and am very pleased with the results. This is the Android unit sold through Aliexpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32805010245.html

I will say, installation was not simple and the directions weren't included with the unit but sent to me via google drive upon request. It took me about 3 days to get it right and some help from the forum to find the right signal feed for the backup cam. However, now that it is complete I am extremely happy with the unit.

Android runs on the upper screen and has WAZE installed so when I connect to the hotspot on my phone that is the default navigation app. In addition I have Google maps, Pandora, Spotify, and all the usual android apps installed. The CarPlay functionality works exactly as expected as soon as the iPhone is connected to the dongle which I have mounted in the armrest. Overall, I would recommend this solution to anyone looking to add CarPlay functionality to their Infiniti.
Very interesting. Where does the physical module reside? If you had to install all over again, with proper instructions, how long would it take?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,230 Posts
Aliexpress has cool very cheap stuff. I got my Nissan OEM TPMS sensors there; 4 for $75. To bad they don't have them any longer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that I fully understand the installation, it would probably take me about an hour to install. First time through with proper directions is probably a two hour project.

The unit is made up of two modules, one is the android computer, and the second is a screen controller which takes over the top lcd display when you enable it. Neither of the units is much larger than a cell phone and both slide nicely into spaces above the CD carrier and down by the 12 volt charger. Once reassembled they are completely hidden.

All oem functionality is retained which was a requirement for me. The only thing that is different is the rear view camera. The display controller takes over the screen by default when placed in reverse. By connecting the oem camera signal line to the input it provides the same view.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
4,379 Posts
So, I am stupid, what is the difference between these choices?

[With carplay added] [Android 6.0 standard]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The CarPlay add on option includes the required USB dongle needed to provide CarPlay on the unit. It’s simply a small usb connector that you plug your lightning cable into which allows CarPlay to work on android.

·
Registered
85 Posts
How does it work with the infiniti native bluetooth, phone, and backup camera? Does it change audio control and does integrate will with that if doesn't? I had tesla 2.0 and looked great but audio was less than stock integration with infiniti native controls was less than desirable...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am using the native bluetooth and phone. I like the sound quality of the integrated microphone and speakers, so no need to change. As far as the backup camera, It does take over this functionality. However, since I routed the stock backup camera signal into the box it is the same quality. The guide lines are slightly different but present and still effective.

While browsing through the manufacturer's website, I may have found a way to disable the backup camera control which would put me back to the stock view. I will likely try this the next time I have a few minutes to open up the dash again.

·
Registered
670 Posts

Did you have the factory NAV on your vehicle? If so were you able to use the stock GPS antenna or did you still have to install the one that comes with that unit? Also what does the top screen show when you're on a call?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do not have the factory NAV so can't speak to the ability to connect the stock GPS antenna, however, I don't think that would be an option. The antenna that came with the unit mounted easily under the dash pad in the center of the car and the reception seems very good. The unit quickly connects to 6+ satellites and the GPS resolution is <6 feet.

The top screen during a phone call shows either the Android screen or the default phone screen, you just press the back button to toggle between them. When my phone rings, I hit the button to see who's calling and either accept or decline. Then once connected I change it back to navigation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, walshbr.

I am trying to install this unit, but it shows only black screen.
Did you connect power cable to the up screen or to cd changer or to down screen?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a similar issue on my first install attempts. When I tested the unit prior to putting it all back together and the top screen was hanging free it worked correctly, however after I mounted it properly I got a black screen and no response. It turned out that the PCB installed into the top screen was shorting out some of the pins on the existing PCB in the unit. I opened it up and installed a piece of insulation between the two PCB's and it has been rock solid ever since.

Other things to check would be that the ribbon cables to each of the PCB's are fully inserted and connected.

Are you getting power to the LED's on both the display controller and the android units?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately, no.
Lsalit's engineer wrote me today's morning connect cabeles b+, acc of android box to b+, acc navigation box.

Today, after job I'll try it. Did You buy carplay module in lsalit? Or I can use any usb carplay dongle?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, there were three power cables in each of the harnesses that needed to be connected together (Constant power, Accessory power, and ground). I did this prior to the installation.

I did buy the unit with the carplay dongle from LSAILT and it works reliably for me. It came with the Android CarPlay app loaded on the unit. I would imagine others would be compatible as this is a standard android unit, but I can't confirm this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi.
it works, but something wrong with microphone, I'll try another device later.

With reverse cam: I switch off rear camera in admin interface (DIP6 ->on, restart, push dot button in central of screen, settings, rear camera - off, restart)

·
Registered
1 Posts
What made it difficult to install? Does this work with the usb inputs under the arm rest or do you need to run a usb cable through the center console?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Is this a box that gets connected to the existing DCU or a circuit board that gets connected to the back of the DCU?

Nevermind, I re read your OP.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts