Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 M56 on lease that ends in mid-August. I'm thinking about the Q50 hybrid premium. I live in Florida and I don't think any of the dealers have the Q 50 yet to test drive. I really like the ride and handling on the M56. For those who have test drove the Q50 and are familiar with the M, I wonder how it compares to the M as to quietness, acceleration, handling, transmission, ride comfort and interior room. I was never a fan of the M37 because the M56 accelerated effortlessly while the M37 seemed to have to work a lot harder. My M56 has a quirky transmission in that it seems to take time hunting for gears particularly if you slow down and then speed up. Is this an issue with the Q50?

My dealer said I could test drive the Q50 on August 5. Assuming I order one then, how long should I expect to have it take to come in if they do not have what I want in stock.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
You're going to be losing over 100hp but saving alot of gas if you move to a Hybrid q. The transmission is the same but remapped to resolve the issues you reported. Interior quality should be at or above what you expect minus the ventilated seats. Ride quality and road noise are both improved over the g37.

I'm betting the Q50 will handle better than the M thanks to size, weight and suspension tuning.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I have an M37. If you have the deluxe touring package, you will miss the comfort, cushiness of your seats and the width of the cabin, but that's about it. However, you have to want a smaller car. I got my M at the same time as my wife got a G. I enjoyed driving her car more, but the M is significantly bigger in the front seats.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Go drive the Q50 Hyrbid Sport when it comes in. You're going to love it. I've driven M56, FX50 and Q50 Hybrid Sport. Q50 doesn't have the roar/thrum of the M56 engine, but very similar acceleration, super smooth transmission (I haven't noticed any hunting issues - and I was looking after driving an 8 speed BMW 3 series that hunted like some idiot West Virginian on reality TV).

The stereo in the Q50 is as good (or better) than the one in your M, and overall, the car should be quieter. The only thing I'd miss in FL would be the cooled seats.

Back seat leg room is almost as good as the M. Not quite, but close. Oh - the trunk on the hybrid will be smaller - although still plenty big for two golf bags.

Reactions: avanti5010

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have a m37s

it does have a choppy tranny one of the worst ive had even after multiple flashes and updates a lot of people have tranny issues with the 7 speed

im looking at q50s hybrid due to similar interior to my M, mpg, and power - torque

i can only hope they fixed the tranny issues great engines poor transmission

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
i have a m37s

it does have a choppy tranny one of the worst ive had even after multiple flashes and updates a lot of people have tranny issues with the 7 speed

im looking at q50s hybrid due to similar interior to my M, mpg, and power - torque

i can only hope they fixed the tranny issues great engines poor transmission
I have a 2012 M and have never had any issues with my transmission.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
The easiest way to answer your question is to just go out on a few test drives and see how you like it.

Only you will be able to tell for sure what's right for you.

BTw, I looove the M56, but I haven't had the chance to drive one yet. :(

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I'm kinda pissed because the M56 sold so poorly and they were so hard to find unless you ordered one directly---I'd love to get my hands on a used M56, but they're almost impossible to find or they're spread out sporadically all of the country.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
And as Homer would say...

Mmmmmm....M56 motor

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm kinda pissed because the M56 sold so poorly and they were so hard to find unless you ordered one directly---I'd love to get my hands on a used M56, but they're almost impossible to find or they're spread out sporadically all of the country.
they are uber rare thats for sure.
I didn't realize they were so rare. One of the guys at work has one. I walk past it almost every day.

The power that the Q50 offers is more than enough for me. A number of my friends are into cars with huge engines, some even with 600+ hp. A friend down the hall even has a picture of his car engine hanging on the wall, lol. It just doesn't turn me on. I must be entirely too domesticated. ;)

Now handling is another issue. I greatly enjoy a car that handles well, but I don't want to totally sacrifice comfort to get it. A friend of mine has a Shelby that his wife hates because it rides so stiff. My fun car has to be one that my friends and family can enjoy, too.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
I had an M37x a few years ago and have recently driven a 2013. Great cars (and not in the same power class as the M56) but they definitely feel larger and handle that way.

I went with a G on my last 2 replacement cars because the handling and size were just so much more to my liking. The M was fast - and the M56 is even faster - but the handling compared to a G, well it just wasn't as fun to toss around.

I really like the M's but that digital information center between the tach and speedo just gets crushed by the Q and makes the dash feel so outdated, even though I really love the M.

I was very hesitant to even test drive a G as I wanted to lease another M but when I got behind the wheel there was a noticeable difference in handling and fun factor between the two.

My guess it the hybrid Q50 will scratch the speed itch and the handling should be more like a compact sport sedan than a full size. If you can deal with the smaller trunk then it's worth the ride to make your own judgement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.