1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
384 Posts
FI Resonated. Hands down. If your comparing it to the MBRP. A few members installed the MBRP and complained about raspyness, quality of hardware. Welds. Etc.

I don't have any experience with FI on my own car but we installed a couple on Nissan 370z's and they sound amazing after.

If cost aren't a concern, why not consider, Ark Grip, HKS, Meistershaft.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Interested in hearing members chime in that have experience with both the CBE from MBRP ( https://www.tunerzstore.com/Infiniti-Q50-Performance-Parts/Infiniti-Q50-Aftermarket-Exhaust ) and FI ( https://www.fastintentions.com/product_info.php/cPath/41_50_169_171/products_id/289 )

Also...any thoughts on resonated versus non-resonated?

Really don't care about cost but looking at it from a quality and performance perspective. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts:)
^
|
|
I like this guy. I commend you for providing links when discussing products sg. :)

If cost is no object, then (between these two) I think it just boils down to if you want a 3" or a 2.5".

You might consider Stillen. Not sure how much we can trust the manufacture's dynos but Stillen's dyno shows a 26.3 WHP and 29.5 WTQ gain. FI shows a 16 WHP and 30 WTQ gain. So, 10 more horses with Stillen.
https://www.stillen.com/performance/exhaust-systems/vehicle/2017-infiniti-q50.html

·
Registered
860 Posts
See my signature - 437 WHP and 503 WTQ on pump gas. I have the FI Catted DPs & Resonated CBE. Great sound quality and performance.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I really like my FI CBE w/resonators. It's not loud, idle rumble is deeper than stock but restrained. WOT is where it makes its sound. I've noticed a very slight resonance at about 2200 rpm but a change of 100 rpm in either direction and it goes away. Can't hear it at all when playing audio. I can certainly feel the performance improvement it added to my JB4 running the same map. I'll be adding FI LDPs soon to see what that adds to the mix.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've had both.

Ignore the 3'' to 2.5'' diameter differences. The difference is negligible and should not affect your purchase if your worrying about performance. I've done a lot of data logging on each exhaust and my data is identical. Call Fast Intentions and speak to Kevin, he will speak to this more as they see a ton of Forced Induction applications and why they stuck with the 2.5'' on their Fast Intentions.

Are you keeping stock downpipes and want to save a buck? MBRP sounds great when you don't delete the cats. It's much louder than the unresonated FI cat-back and you save a few hundred. Most vendors keep them in stock so you'll get it quick.

Are you going lower downpipe or full downpipes at any point? Fast Intentions. No questions asked. You will not have any rasp whatsoever. Drone is dependant on the configuration (lower downpipem full downpipe, unresonated, 10'' vs 14'' mufflers, etc.). The Fast Intentions has a unique exhaust note that I've grown to appreciate.

The MBRP will be farty, raspy, droney with lower downpipes or fulls. I have added additional Vibrant resonators to the MBRP and it was still farty and raspy.

TLDR: Go Fast Intentions.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Fast Intentions and aFe are the best sounding exhaust setups I've heard on the VR platform personally. If I were to ever get an exhaust, my scope would be one of those 2

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ditto the FI Res CBE fan base - I didn’t want a significant change to the car’s sound over stock but I do want the added high end performance. These trade offs led me to FI’s resonated CBE. I worked with Kevin (nice experience) and the lead times are very real folks (4-6 weeks.) I had Jotech in NTX do the install and we took side by side photos of the FI and stock exhaust. The diameter of the stock exhaust is less than 2” I would guess. I am assuming the 2.5” FI exhaust dyno’s as advertised but we will see when I take my car back for a mid-fall dyno.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
If you plan on LDP or full DP get the resonated X-pipe! Unless you want a loud exhaust. Keven and I spent quite a lot of time talking about this. Resonated X-pipe is even more important with full downpipes. No power different between resonated X-pipe and non resonated X-pipe. FYI. just a couple of lbs. I'm VERY glad I got the resonated X-pipe! Cold start is pretty loud.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone! Since this the wife's car, I am not going to do any down pipes or anything beyond the CBE itself. When the time is right, I will go the resonated route based on everyone's recommendation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts