Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Mid-size car

One of the worst day in my life.
Cruising on a local 5 lanes street, no traffic light or stop sign. Enjoying my new baby. ... A convertible at middle turn lane suddenly made an abrupt 90degree turn against/across upcoming traffic, trying to get on a side street ! I tried to break but he was so fast, he already severely hit the front of my Q. Luckily I wasn't driving that fast, otherwise he would've totally t-boned me, and my driver side would be the first/hardest hit.

A pedestrian ran to me and volunteered to b my witness. He later talked with policeman to testify that the convertible was at fault. The police didn't seem to have many q for me.. It was obvious.

But MY BEAUTIFUL BRAND NEW CAR! i only had her for SIX days! I'm worried sick how much damage is done, and whether it will b fixed. It's in the hands of a highly regarded body shop (one of 30 in the state certified to repair 2014 MecedezBenz), and manager is already in contact w/Infiniti's service manager... But whatever he can do, im afraid its probably will never be the same! :(:(

I was in total disbelief! I was so mad! mad at him of course, also mad at myself, ... although I didn't do anything wrong! Not racing, not talking on the phone, not texting, not distracted! I just can NOT believe he didn't yield! I couldn't sleep last night, kept wondering if I could've done something different/better to avoid this disaster. .. I felt so so sorry and sad...

I'm lucky (and thankful) that neither driver was physically hurt, .... and I'm leasing the Q.

However, when you look at those pic, how bad do YOU think it will be even after its "fixed"? Motor? engine? electronic system? can they be recovered? I have NO experience with car repair, etc.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Mid-size car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Personal luxury car

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire

And this is what hit me. A 2003 Honda s2000

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Motor vehicle

... I'm still not myself yet...

Both the tow truck driver and police man commented .. ". Wow, what a beautiful car! ". Yeah, I know! Doesn't even have a plate yet... And I destroyed her... :(:(

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Wow! So so sorry to hear this. Glad you are OK!
There is nothing you can do to prevent other idiot from hitting you.
The car seem repairable. It's probably will not be the same. Lucky for you, it's a lease. Hopefully, they declare it a total lost so you can get your new Q50 again. Good luck.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Wow.. sorry to hear this.. if it is totalled (and you put a decent down payment down).. ask your dealer about a "substitution of collateral"..

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
What an idiot! Those are the kinds of cars that I pay more attention to - too many who have them think of them as race cars that can do anything. I'm glad that you're O.K.(physically). And it looks like he's going to have more damage than you(his front axle is bent). From the looks of your car, it may be that just the bumper cover and grill has the damage - I hope so.

I can relate. A few months after getting my first new car - a '69 Javelin - I was on a three lane, one way street, in the left lane. An Air Force captain ran a stop sign with her Beetle(luckily, it wasn't a land boat of the era). She hit my front left wheel, which bent the front axle, and broke a few other things. If I had been a split second earlier, she would have hit my front door, and back then, there were no air bags. Luckily, neither one of us was hurt, but I was royally pi$$ed! It took several weeks to get the car back, and it was fixed almost to perfection. Hopefully, when you get it back, you won't be able to tell that it was hit. Good luck.

·
Registered
183 Posts
luckily it looks like your Q50 is standing well, hopefully your're only looking at cosmetic damage, although there are alot of sensores and electronics in that front bumper so that wont be a cheap fix, but as long as all the mechanicals underneath haven't been bent dont worry your Suzy Q will be just fine

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow.. sorry to hear this.. if it is totalled (and you put a decent down payment down).. ask your dealer about a "substitution of collateral"..
Thanks, Jason.

It was towed to a body shop to assess/evaluate.

It's a lease but I put down 9MSDs, and I heard different opinion whether those could be refunded if car is totaled. (And never thought it would apply to me!! :mad: ) Can it?

And what's "substitution of collateral" ?

Do you think it looks that bad that needs to be totaled? No airbag was deployed...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys for your comments! That helps! (Part of reason I lease is because I don't know about car and want a simple/easy way to maintain it..) and thanks for the kind wishes for good luck, I sure can use a LOT! :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Wow, glad you're ok and no one was injured. Sorry to see the car but boy the S2000 hit you hard enough to break it's front axle.

Not sure if it is fixable. It will all depend on what possible damage there is to the engine and chassis. If the chassis is bent they might total it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
luckily it looks like your Q50 is standing well, hopefully your're only looking at cosmetic damage, although there are alot of sensores and electronics in that front bumper so that wont be a cheap fix, but as long as all the mechanicals underneath haven't been bent dont worry your Suzy Q will be just fine
I sure hope so! Yeah, so many fancy electronic features in this car and I really hope they can be recovered...

Won't b a cheap fix for sure! Seems like that driver is fully insured so they BETTER get it all fixed! :mad:

Keep my fingers crossed...

Thanks..

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What an idiot! Those are the kinds of cars that I pay more attention to - too many who have them think of them as race cars that can do anything. I'm glad that you're O.K.(physically). And it looks like he's going to have more damage than you(his front axle is bent). From the looks of your car, it may be that just the bumper cover and grill has the damage - I hope so.

I can relate. A few months after getting my first new car - a '69 Javelin - I was on a three lane, one way street, in the left lane. An Air Force captain ran a stop sign with her Beetle(luckily, it wasn't a land boat of the era). She hit my front left wheel, which bent the front axle, and broke a few other things. If I had been a split second earlier, she would have hit my front door, and back then, there were no air bags. Luckily, neither one of us was hurt, but I was royally pi$$ed! It took several weeks to get the car back, and it was fixed almost to perfection. Hopefully, when you get it back, you won't be able to tell that it was hit. Good luck.
Glad you were ok. ... Yeah, you can never prepare for the careless driver. ..

Btw, thanks for posting pictures of your new baby! :) Makes my heart ache a little bit but sure am happy for you! She is BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for the effort of posting picture too! ;)

·
Registered
324 Posts
TT, please take this the right way. It's a beautiful car. But it's only a car. This moron could have caused catastrophic damage to YOU. It would be far harder to enjoy driving a repaired car or new replacement without, say... legs.

I empathize with the sting you feel. My best friend backed into my 3 week old pickup. My father drove his pickup over the hood of my 3 day old car. Someone caved in the driver's door of my parked 350Z that was only 2 months old, and some other mofo backed into the rear with a trailer hitch. Both were hit-and-runs.

Be glad the car did it's job and protected you. It's okay to be angry, but it shouldn't be with yourself, and it shouldn't be about the damage. The only person you should be mad at is the doorknob that caused the accident.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TT, please take this the right way. It's a beautiful car. But it's only a car. This moron could have caused catastrophic damage to YOU. It would be far harder to enjoy driving a repaired car or new replacement without, say... legs.

I empathize with the sting you feel. My best friend backed into my 3 week old pickup. My father drove his pickup over the hood of my 3 day old car. Someone caved in the driver's door of my parked 350Z that was only 2 months old, and some other mofo backed into the rear with a trailer hitch. Both were hit-and-runs.

Be glad the car did it's job and protected you. It's okay to be angry, but it shouldn't be with yourself, and it shouldn't be about the damage. The only person you should be mad at is the doorknob that caused the accident.
Thanks, Ten*K! Really appreciate it! Wow u have been through some trauma yourself!!!! :eek:.

Well, u r right. I'm very lucky that I'm a full piece walking talking feeling., and will be enjoying a Q again hopefully soon.!!! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
So sad, I really feel for you...but be glad you are leasing, and be glad you put down MSD's instead of down payment. You are a smart woman for doing that! Would have hurt a lot more if you put down a large down payment instead of MSD's. Keep us posted, and we're glad you came out safe!

·
Registered
15 Posts
That is heart breaking man. I can imagine how you feel! But as ten*K said, you didn't get hurt and that is what matters.

I actually bought my Q50 because my previous car was demolished a 17 year old drunk kid on a motorbike with YOLO tendencies. It was parked and I still wonder how he managed to do that at 2:00am in the morning. The kid was in the hospital for 2 months with head trauma stuff and is kinda immobile on his left side. His bike was in pieces and his helmet was in my backseat when the cops came over to get him.

As much as I wanted to strangle him by my own two hands, I am happy that he survived the ordeal and hopefully learns his lesson.

Let us know if you need any help!

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Wow, i would be totally devastated and gone medieval on him if it were my car. Especially since I am buying not leasing. I would look closely at the front suspension to ensure they do it right. Good thing you walked away. May be Infiniti will take the car from you to study the crash effects and give you a replacement.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I will echo what you have heard in the other posts because my guess is that today you will want to hear it more than once. The car did it's job protecting you and sometimes there is nothing you can do to avoid an accident. It would have been much worse if you had not been a much better driver than the guy who hit you. You have been very smart. You took your car to an excellent body shop. You will be amazed what a really good body shop can do. Also smart was putting down MSDs instead of capital cost reduction. You have done everything right and mitigated damage both physical and financial by your smart actions. The car will be fixed or replaced and this will be just a bad memory. This is the kind of bad event in your life that can be fixed given a bit of time. I commiserate with you on what you just went through but I salute you on your obvious smarts.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.