Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some people have been complaining online about the noise with those tires (no improvement compared with previous tires), such as here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868761, also a post of myg37.com that I cannot find at the moment.
However, there is a consistency about the fact that they ride much better than run-flats.
The review on tirerack.com (see the charts at http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=177) confirms the noise reports: they are not as quiet as the Bridgestone 970AS for example, but they handle and brake much better, especially on wet roads.
So if you are looking for less highway noise than the Dunlops, you might be disappointed. If you are looking for a better ride, handling and breaking in an A/S tire, those seem to be much better.
The 970AS isn't far off in any metric though, I am wondering if the RF version is as good.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I currently using the Michelin A/S3 tires and I agree with your statement.
It can get noisy and bumpy when driven over bumpy road. But, the handling and gripping is awesome. Going highspeed give you sense of confident because the car felt very stable and non-floaty feeling. The 45,000 miles warranty is a big plus. It's pricey but well worth it.

Some people have been complaining online about the noise with those tires (no improvement compared with previous tires), such as here: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, also a post of myg37.com that I cannot find at the moment.
However, there is a consistency about the fact that they ride much better than run-flats.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I currently using the Michelin A/S3 tires and I agree with your statement.
It can get noisy and bumpy when driven over bumpy road. But, the handling and gripping is awesome. Going highspeed give you sense of confident because the car felt very stable and non-floaty feeling. The 45,000 miles warranty is a big plus. It's pricey but well worth it.
What is the (cold) pressure in your tires? Since those are XL-rated, perhaps they've been inflated over 35 psi, which would make the ride harder?
XL tires require a higher pressure to achieve their rating, but since those are rated 98, they will perform as a 94 at 35psi (and 94 is the load index of the RFTs in the Q50).
So they should be inflated at 35psi, just like the RFTs.

Max LI for P245R19 (SL) is 1477 lbs
LI for P245R19 (SL) is 1433 lbs at 35psi
Max LI for P245R19 (XL) is 1653 lbs
LI for P245R19 (XL) is 1422 lbs at 35psi
LI for P245R19 (XL) is 1609 lbs at 41psi

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Mine is 35psi in the morning (cold pressure). After 2500 miles driven on the tires, the road noise reduced (not significant, but noticeable). I contribute that to the tires being broken in.
There is not much you can do when you have sport tune suspension and 19" tires. You will always felt those imperfection of the road bumps/cracks.

What is the (cold) pressure in your tires? Since those are XL-rated, perhaps they've been inflated over 35 psi, which would make the ride harder?
XL tires require a higher pressure to achieve their rating, but since those are rated 98, they will perform as a 94 at 35psi (and 94 is the load index of the RFTs in the Q50).
So they should be inflated at 35psi, just like the RFTs.

Max LI for P245R19 (SL) is 1477 lbs
LI for P245R19 (SL) is 1433 lbs at 35psi
Max LI for P245R19 (XL) is 1653 lbs
LI for P245R19 (XL) is 1422 lbs at 35psi
LI for P245R19 (XL) is 1609 lbs at 41psi

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Mine is 35psi in the morning (cold pressure). After 2500 miles driven on the tires, the road noise reduced (not significant, but noticeable). I contribute that to the tires being broken in.
There is not much you can do when you have sport tune suspension and 19" tires. You will always felt those imperfection of the road bumps/cracks.
and a little more imperfection of the road bumps/cracks with AWD-sports, I'll replace my RFTs after mine need replacement:p

·
Registered
324 Posts
I just put the Michelin Pilot A/S 3's on (19") on my Premium / non sport and the ride improvement was immediate and very noticeable. In a "non scientific" 40 mile test drive with the Dunlop SP Sport MAXX Run Flats VS the A/S 3's the quietness and general smooth ride from the A/S 3 was huge. The car handles much better as well. The A/S 3's should be standard on this car IMHO

·
Registered
9 Posts
I contacted my dealership yesterday and they said as long as I don't have over 200miles since delivery on my RFT, they would do a 100% swap/exchange free of charge to me for these Michelins (Infiniti has an exchange program). I agreed since I feel the ride quality is a bit harsh on the dunlops (and also reading they are very expensive to replace and don't last too long). I'm hoping not to feel every little crevice in the road with the Michelins, just waiting for them to come in!

Reactions: JJ26

·
Registered
21 Posts
I contacted my dealership yesterday and they said as long as I don't have over 200miles since delivery on my RFT, they would do a 100% swap/exchange free of charge to me for these Michelins (Infiniti has an exchange program). I agreed since I feel the ride quality is a bit harsh on the dunlops (and also reading they are very expensive to replace and don't last too long). I'm hoping not to feel every little crevice in the road with the Michelins, just waiting for them to come in!

Cue,
When you say Inifniti has an exchange program, do you mean all dealers participate? My wife JUST crossed 200 miles, but I'd be willing to pay a few bucks to get off the RFTs vs. paying full price for a set of all seasons in a year and a half when the RFTs are used up.

·
Registered
324 Posts

You're lucky.. My dealer wouldn't budge and i paid for my set. You'll like the A/S 3's

·
Registered
21 Posts
You're lucky.. My dealer wouldn't budge and i paid for my set. You'll like the A/S 3's

just heard from my dealer and they suggested I call Infiniti directly on this... My wife is OK running on these tires until they are shot, which goes to show how much she likes the car... She said the car rides like my Shelby did, but she hated being in that car becuase of it... go figure!

Has anyone looked at the Continental Extreme DWS's? I've had those on a few family cars run those and my brother's have loved them... good ratings on tirerack and cheaper than the michelins?

·
Registered
167 Posts
just heard from my dealer and they suggested I call Infiniti directly on this... My wife is OK running on these tires until they are shot, which goes to show how much she likes the car... She said the car rides like my Shelby did, but she hated being in that car becuase of it... go figure!

Has anyone looked at the Continental Extreme DWS's? I've had those on a few family cars run those and my brother's have loved them... good ratings on tirerack and cheaper than the michelins?
I have them on my. 2003 g35. They are the beat i have had in 4 sets.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cue,
When you say Inifniti has an exchange program, do you mean all dealers participate? My wife JUST crossed 200 miles, but I'd be willing to pay a few bucks to get off the RFTs vs. paying full price for a set of all seasons in a year and a half when the RFTs are used up.
I'm not sure if all dealerships participate, but it sounded like a program through Infiniti. My vehicle was actually dealer-traded, so already had 260miles on it previous to me taking delivery. They still said they would do the swap free of charge since those miles were unavoidable by me. Hope it works out to be the same situation for you.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm not sure if all dealerships participate, but it sounded like a program through Infiniti. My vehicle was actually dealer-traded, so already had 260miles on it previous to me taking delivery. They still said they would do the swap free of charge since those miles were unavoidable by me. Hope it works out to be the same situation for you.

My dealer says Infiniti does not have such a program. She claims it must have been a "one off" from the dealer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm thinking about replacing my RFTs with the A/S 3's.

Not being a tire guy, I don't know much about load index or speed ratings.

I have the 19" sport rims and tirerack has this tire with the following specifications:

load index of 94V and an H- or V-Speed Rate for sale for $211.00, or

load index of 98Y and an W- or Y-Speed Rate for sale for $241.00

Can anyone tell me if the first tire is sufficient or do I need to get the second tire with higher index and speed rating?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.