·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This adds:

• Power tilt and telescopic steering column
  • Direct Adaptive Steering
  • Auto-dimming outside mirrors with reverse tilt-down feature
  • Dual occupant memory system for driver's seat, mirrors and steering wheel settings, linked to individual Intelligent Keys
  • Maple wood trim
  • 60/40 split-folding rear seats with center armrest pass-thru
  • Around View® Monitor with Moving Object Detection and Front and Rear Sonar Systems
  • Rain-sensing front windshield wipers

Plus it requires the Navigation Package.

Why? Test drive the car with the Around View Monitor. You will quickly determine, especially with the Sport model whose rims are always at curb level, that enhanced parking ability is worth it.

This is what some BMW owners think: Side and Top View Owners: Satisfied or Disappointed? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

The other features are nice, and things like the folding rear seat dramatically add to practicality.

I would also get the Technology Package because I like all the safety stuff...but Deluxe Touring should be on every car.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I can't live without the power steering column because I love the easy exit where the steering wheel goes up as your seat goes back. First time I had this was on my Infiniti I30 and I won't get a car without it now. One of the reasons I didn't like the ATS. 50K car and no power tilt steering, not even an option.

·
Registered
325 Posts
This adds:

• Power tilt and telescopic steering column
  • Direct Adaptive Steering
  • Auto-dimming outside mirrors with reverse tilt-down feature
  • Dual occupant memory system for driver's seat, mirrors and steering wheel settings, linked to individual Intelligent Keys
  • Maple wood trim
  • 60/40 split-folding rear seats with center armrest pass-thru
  • Around View® Monitor with Moving Object Detection and Front and Rear Sonar Systems
  • Rain-sensing front windshield wipers

Plus it requires the Navigation Package.

Why? Test drive the car with the Around View Monitor. You will quickly determine, especially with the Sport model whose rims are always at curb level, that enhanced parking ability is worth it.

This is what some BMW owners think: Side and Top View Owners: Satisfied or Disappointed? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

The other features are nice, and things like the folding rear seat dramatically add to practicality.

I would also get the Technology Package because I like all the safety stuff...but Deluxe Touring should be on every car.
As long as it's within the budget I can agree.. they added a lot of great features to the Q50

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
I can't live without the power steering column because I love the easy exit where the steering wheel goes up as your seat goes back. First time I had this was on my Infiniti I30 and I won't get a car without it now. One of the reasons I didn't like the ATS. 50K car and no power tilt steering, not even an option.
Agreed. Power tilt and telescopic steering should be standard on luxury car. I would not buy a car without one, standard or luxury car. It's like power windows and door locks from a few years ago. Can't live without it once you get used to them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
they did a weird job bundling options compared to the G37.

memory seating came with the premium package on the G....now you have to shell out almost $5k?

I also find it weird that they offer rear view camera standard but sonar as an option....you'd think they would go with the cheaper option (sonar) as standard

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Agreed. Power tilt and telescopic steering should be standard on luxury car. I would not buy a car without one, standard or luxury car. It's like power windows and door locks from a few years ago. Can't live without it once you get used to them.
Agreed as well. I have 2005 TL that doesn't have it, but being in my dad's M37x for that past 2 years, I love that feature when it pushes the steering wheel up and out of the way. I hate having to readjust the steering wheel height and depth after someone else has driven my TL.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bundling the features lets them manage inventory better. Here they have four steps: Basic, Basic with Nav (which will probably be very common in most dealers' lots), Deluxe Touring which adds the luxury and practical features most people expect, and the Technology Package which adds all the safety electronics.

The rearview camera is supposed to be a DOT requirement by now but DOT has delayed the rule. The opponents say it costs to much, over $10M/life saved. However, those numbers are old, not reflecting the more widespread use of LCD panels in cars and reduced costs for cameras (the law was proposed in 2008). Also, the benefit analysis focuses on the 250 lives/year and not on the 14,000 injuries/year, many of which cause permanent disability (lost limb, spinal injury, disfigurement) and nearly all of which cause intense family stress (a parent injuring their young child).

What is interesting is that they didn't include park assist, which is offered even on the Ford Fusion as a $900 option or the 3-series as a $500 option.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Bundling the features lets them manage inventory better. Here they have four steps: Basic, Basic with Nav (which will probably be very common in most dealers' lots), Deluxe Touring which adds the luxury and practical features most people expect, and the Technology Package which adds all the safety electronics.

The rearview camera is supposed to be a DOT requirement by now but DOT has delayed the rule. The opponents say it costs to much, over $10M/life saved. However, those numbers are old, not reflecting the more widespread use of LCD panels in cars and reduced costs for cameras (the law was proposed in 2008). Also, the benefit analysis focuses on the 250 lives/year and not on the 14,000 injuries/year, many of which cause permanent disability (lost limb, spinal injury, disfigurement) and nearly all of which cause intense family stress (a parent injuring their young child).

What is interesting is that they didn't include park assist, which is offered even on the Ford Fusion as a $900 option or the 3-series as a $500 option.
So whose life is not worth $10M? I surely hope if it were my life on the line, $10M would be worth it!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL that's such a tragically bad comparison. Steve Jobs didn't survive bro.
Jobs went on for 5 years...others may have survived a year. Randy Pauch, also with pancreatic cancer. lasted less than 2 years.

Various government agencies use various values usually in the $5M range. When someone is spending their own money, $100k/yr of life is closer.

Even look at the car here. How many people automatically go to the technology package with the collision detection technology and forward emergency braking? Automatically add blind spot and lane departure warning. Insisted on stability control in 2005. Put winter tires on in the winter?

Do you insist on adaptive high beams (I don't think the Q50 offers this) or night vision?

Just indicating that everyone puts a value on their life...and it is much less than $10M.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.