Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I have ALC enabled on the freeway and am in the right lane, ALC will push the car over onto the exit ramp for every single exit. This gets annoying, and I'm assuming all tech Q50s do this but I wanted to make sure it's not just me.

The obvious solution is to just never be in the right lane, but unfortunately sometimes it is a necessity :p

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
When I have ALC enabled on the freeway and am in the right lane, ALC will push the car over onto the exit ramp for every single exit. This gets annoying, and I'm assuming all tech Q50s do this but I wanted to make sure it's not just me.

The obvious solution is to just never be in the right lane, but unfortunately sometimes it is a necessity :p
I don't use Active Lane Control anymore, because I don't like the constant swaying feeling that ALC makes. Although, when I did use ALC, I was still holding the steering wheel with enough light force to keep it straight, even if it seemed like it was going to try to move over,

·
Registered
106 Posts
I noticed this too. It does it because when following the lane markers it notices the lane marker has curved which causes the car to assume the car has approached a curve therefore pushing the car towards the exit lane.

·
Registered
697 Posts
it does tend to follow the right lane lines. I have the same issue

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Good to know it's not just my Q.

Sounds like I'll try to stay in the left lane as much as possible when using ALC :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Same issue here. Friday night it was pulling hard to the left without an exit lane and freshly painted lines on a road that had just been rebuilt. I had to turn it off. It is buggy and is not building confidence. I also experience the swaying. Glad that isn't just me.

Does anyone else's wheel rock a bit when lane control is on and the car is in sport mode? I assume that is the swaying being transmitted more with the heavier weight of the steering in sport mode.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That sounds super annoying when driving on the highway. I would only use the Active Lane Control if I was driving later at night and felt a little tired. If it engaged than I would know that it might be time top pull over and get a coffee. Hopefully they will fix this problem by the time they put it into their next vehicle.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I have been on two road trips since I've had the car. I drive in the right lane except to pass, and have not felt the car trying to exit! The rocking motion that you mention is something that has been talked about here before, and again, I have not felt that. I love that I'm able to take my hands off the wheel when I need to, or when I just want to relax a little.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have been on two road trips since I've had the car. I drive in the right lane except to pass, and have not felt the car trying to exit! The rocking motion that you mention is something that has been talked about here before, and again, I have not felt that. I love that I'm able to take my hands off the wheel when I need to, or when I just want to relax a little.
Sounds like recipe for a disaster.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I stopped using the safety features on my Q for about a month now. I found it a little annoying when driving on the highway. Most times I drive with it off now, but sometimes at night when its late, or I'm stuck in traffic, I'll turn it on to assist me.

As for the ALC, I'm rarely in the right lane so I didn't notice if mine has the same reaction to the lines on the road. I might try this tonight on the highway and see what it does. It is nice to have though when you want some assistance at night when driving and you're starting to feel a bit tired.

·
Registered
26 Posts
High vs Low ACL

Hey All,

Since we're on the topic of ALC. Just curious -- What's the main difference between the "low" and higher setting "Active Lane Control Setting" in the InTouch Setup.

On the current low setting, it will give up trying to keep me in my lane if the road curves too sharply. Would the higher setting follow the lane lines more aggressively?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Sounds like recipe for a disaster.
Not really. I'm always paying attention, whether my hands are on the wheel or not. With the cruise control, the car will keep its distance from any car in front of it. I also don't keep my hands off the wheel if there are any cars around me(back or side) - I'm not crazy.:eek: When I do have my hands off the wheel, it's only for a minute or two.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Hey All,

Since we're on the topic of ALC. Just curious -- What's the main difference between the "low" and higher setting "Active Lane Control Setting" in the InTouch Setup.

On the current low setting, it will give up trying to keep me in my lane if the road curves too sharply. Would the higher setting follow the lane lines more aggressively?

Thanks
Low will let the car move a little bit within the lane. Less aggressive. High will try hard to keep it dead center in the lane.

I recommend to clients that they start out with it set to low. If they don't they tend to experience what Aggie is complaining of (car weaving/swaying). The swaying is not a fault in ALC. It is caused by a deficiency in the seat-based control unit and it's interface to the steering wheel. If you tend to move your steering wheel constantly while driving, the car will sway. And if you tend to align your car to one side or the other of the lane (rather than down the center), ALC will fight you and the car will weave. The High setting fights you more in that scenario.

Once you get used to how ALC works and learn to trust it, plus you get comfortable just holding the wheel straight (dead straight) through slight bends in the road, High works really well. It will tend to wander to the right if you're in the right lane and you get to an exit (it isn't a self-driving car and it doesn't have artificial intelligence).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.