Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 492 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello InfinitiQ50.org!

Nick here from Mishimoto to guide you on our development journey of our direct fit catch can kit for the 3.0T powered Q50s! For the full scoop on the development, make sure that you head over to our Engineering Blog

I don't have to tell you guys just how impressive the VR30DDTT is, and how it's a serious contender in the luxury sedan segment. However, this engine does incorporate three aspects that are the prime ingredients of blow-by and carbon build-up, and we want to make sure that your Q50 stays at the peak of its performance. Our engineering team has already started work on a direct fit catch can kit, which you can read more about over on our Engineering Blog!

Feel free to shoot any comments, questions, or suggestions my way, and I'll happy to chat!

Thanks,
Nick

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
you know...there was a guy with the username deltasniper at the legacygt forum....

https://legacygt.com/forums/member.php?u=33115

not sure if you can see it when not logged in.

Mishimoto...thank you for trying to work on an aftermarket product for us.

How about a thermostatically controlled transmission cooler or a thermostatically controlled oil cooler?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Looking good but may be an issue for those with an aftermarket strut tower brace. Have you guys tested fitment with some of the more popular braces i.e. Cusco or Tanabe?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to see that this is happening. If you need a modded Q50 for testing let me know as the car is ready and daily driven.
So we actually already have our prototype kit on the loaner car, but if you're local we might be cooking up some other cool products for the Q50 down the line that we would need a test vehicle for ;)

you know...there was a guy with the username deltasniper at the legacygt forum....

https://legacygt.com/forums/member.php?u=33115

not sure if you can see it when not logged in.

Mishimoto...thank you for trying to work on an aftermarket product for us.

How about a thermostatically controlled transmission cooler or a thermostatically controlled oil cooler?
Absolutely! Like I said, we might also have some other products coming too, but I'll definitely pass along your suggestions too!

Looking good but may be an issue for those with an aftermarket strut tower brace. Have you guys tested fitment with some of the more popular braces i.e. Cusco or Tanabe?
We did actually consider the strut tower braces, but we haven't had a chance to test fit out kit with one of the braces. Just from checking out the photos of the Cusco bar, it looks like the lines could route around the mount, but, of course, we won't know for sure until we actually try it out. We'll likely look into that for the next time we have a Q50 in the shop!

-Nick

·
Registered
668 Posts
@Mishimoto

What are you guys trying to sort out as far as R&D on a catch can? This is an honest question. If it's as far as bracketing, the one you guys use is slick and you should release it (since I first saw the prototype roughly 4 months ago). If it's the question of, "does it work?" That question has been solved numerous times, on multiple cars, by a plethora of people. Ask me how I know...

The blow-by hoses on the passenger and driver side do not put out enough contamination to even look twice, but the PCV equates to roughly 50mL for every 4000 miles, which is a non-trivial amount.

So, again, I ask, what exactly are you guys trying to figure out at this point?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,466 Posts
@Mishimoto
When you come out with a full kit (fittings, hoses, and mounting bracket) for the 2018 3.0tt for just the PCV side with detailed instructions let me know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Mishimoto

What are you guys trying to sort out as far as R&D on a catch can? This is an honest question. If it's as far as bracketing, the one you guys use is slick and you should release it (since I first saw the prototype roughly 4 months ago). If it's the question of, "does it work?" That question has been solved numerous times, on multiple cars, by a plethora of people. Ask me how I know...

The blow-by hoses on the passenger and driver side do not put out enough contamination to even look twice, but the PCV equates to roughly 50mL for every 4000 miles, which is a non-trivial amount.

So, again, I ask, what exactly are you guys trying to figure out at this point?
We put every one of our catch can kits through the same process because we want to make sure first hand that they're up to Mishi standards before we give it the green light. There are a few things that we did differently with this bracket that we especially wanted to test since they were a little different from our typical methods. Although I will say that we have received some feedback already and it's looking good! I'll be sure to keep you in the loop on the full production kit once we get closer to completing the process!

@Mishimoto
When you come out with a full kit (fittings, hoses, and mounting bracket) for the 2018 3.0tt for just the PCV side with detailed instructions let me know.
I'll be sure to keep you posted!

Sorry for the delay getting back to you guys, by the way. I hope everyone had a great holiday!

-Nick

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,466 Posts
Nick, thanks. Scary has a long thread on this, and as he said we, on our 3.0TT, only need one can, on one side. Your "Kit" should only provide the needed parts, for one side, for this much NEEDED modification.

I know once you come out with this kit and detailed installation instructions you will sell LOTS of them. This forum and the other social media Q56/60 communities will jump on this "kit".

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,466 Posts
Bump
Nick, any update on a "kit" for our 2016+ Q50's yet.
PLEASE let us know when you come out with one.

I don't want to guess on fittings, instructions, mounting, hose lengths and diameters, and we really only need one can, on the PVC side.
You will sell a bunch of them here as well as on other social media sites.
@Mishimoto
PM me when you come out with one.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
Bump

I don't want to guess on fittings, instructions, mounting, hose lengths and diameters, and we really only need one can, on the PVC side.
@Mishimoto
Agreed. When Mishimoto makes a plug and play catch can kit for the Q50, I'm in.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nick, thanks. Scary has a long thread on this, and as he said we, on our 3.0TT, only need one can, on one side. Your "Kit" should only provide the needed parts, for one side, for this much NEEDED modification.

I know once you come out with this kit and detailed installation instructions you will sell LOTS of them. This forum and the other social media Q56/60 communities will jump on this "kit".

Thanks!!!
Bump

@Mishimoto
Agreed. When Mishimoto makes a plug and play catch can kit for the Q50, I'm in.
PCV side only is the plan! Typically it's rare that we see any collection on the CCV side, but it does happen. Luckily though we only need to fit one can under the hood rather than 2. But I'll be sure to keep you guys posted on the progress! We're pretty far along now so, you can expect some more info coming soon! Also, for those asking, we will have detailed installed instructions both written and in video form to make sure the install is a breeze!

-Nick

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,466 Posts
Nick--- Thanks for the update. I'm sure you will sell a bunch of them here and the Q60 forum... ? I'm in for one.

Now for the HKS Hipermax IV GT coilovers for the AWD Q50/60 to come out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nick--- Thanks for the update. I'm sure you will sell a bunch of them here and the Q60 forum... ? I'm in for one.

Now for the HKS Hipermax IV GT coilovers for the AWD Q50/60 to come out.
Absolutely! and good to know ;) Looking forward to getting the next post together for you guys!

Is there a diagram (however crude) that shows where it is being tapped into or rerouted?
I don't have one just yet, but I'll likely be able to get one done up for you by the time our next post is ready

-Nick

·
Registered
1,576 Posts

I don't have one just yet, but I'll likely be able to get one done up for you by the time our next post is ready

-Nick
Sounds good. Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where in DE are you guys located? I'm just over the border in PA.

I've actually emailed you guys about parts before(less than a yr ago) and was told there was no plan.
We're located right in New Castle! This one actually came up pretty quick before we started it, and we'll likely be working on a few other Q50 goodies in the coming months as well!

-Nick

1 - 20 of 492 Posts