Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
These are great questions!

So yes this will fit on the Q50S, and as long as there's no drastic difference in your front bumper, there shouldn't be any fitment issues. As for pricing, we'll be announcing that with our presale launch in about 2 weeks! It's priced competitively, and we do also offer financing.

I tried searching around for an aftermarket vacuum tool to no avail, it seems that Air Lift has cornered that market. I would check out your local auto parts store though to see if they have any rentals available. That said, the removal of the bumper cover is pretty straight forward, but the full install is pretty labor intensive. We did film an install video, would you guys want to see that ahead of time? Just to get an idea of what the install is like

Thanks,
Nick
Is there a need for a vaccum tool with your product since it has a bleeding port on the top right?

·
Vendor
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hey guys!

Happy Wednesday! Bumping this up with a MEGA update for y'all! The results are in, and posted up on our Engineering Blog for your viewing pleasure! Make sure your head on over there to see just how our heat exchanger design stacks up!

We conducted a few tests on the dyno to ensure that we were getting the full picture of the performance of the new design. For a sneak peek, here's what we saw when we put it through the load test:

For more info on the design, R&D and performance, make sure that you head to the Engineering Blog!

BUT WAIT, there's more! This heat exchanger is now on presale! Make sure that you order now to get the special pricing while it lasts!

2016+ Infiniti Q50/Q60 3.0T Performance Heat Exchanger

As always, feel free to shoot any questions my way!

Thanks,
Nick

·
Vendor
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Is there a need for a vaccum tool with your product since it has a bleeding port on the top right?
Yup, you will still need a vacuum tool for proper installation. Since the pump is not self priming, it's the only way to ensure that the system is properly bled. The bleeder screw will help with that process, but you'll still need to run an air lift tool

-Nick

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Interesting that your testing shows that the OEM intercooler does essentially no cooling at all, even at time zero. I'm not sure I believe that to be true. What was the ambient temperature when this testing was done?

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Would be nice to see what were the exact conditions when the tests were done - heatsoak test, load test (pressure), and load test (temperature). I have no doubt in my bone that this new HX is better than stock but how much better is the question.

That introductory price seems good. I also watched the video and as expected installation is very similar with AMS HX - except that AMS didn't need a hose adapter. Also, I noticed it wasn't shown in the video that the radiator will have to be pulled back to its original position. Isn't that case? It was lifted and pushed in initially to have enough room for positioning the HX.

·
Vendor
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Interesting that your testing shows that the OEM intercooler does essentially no cooling at all, even at time zero. I'm not sure I believe that to be true. What was the ambient temperature when this testing was done?
We were actually surprised to see that as well, but once we dive deeper into that there's a couple of contributing factors that help explain why that's happening.

So to answer your first question, temperature in the shop was 82°F. We did all of our testing on the stock tune, which means less heat being generated through the intercoolers, and we would expect to see a temperature gap on the stock cooler once there was a tune introduced. The other two factors that contributed to the lack of heat transfer are simply the size of the stock core and the speed that the coolant is running through said core. Basically, the coolant isn't spending too much time in the core so less time to transfer the heat off, as opposed to a larger core where the coolant is spread across the exchanger for more effective heat dissipation.

The high pump speed (combined with the extra pump on the Red Sport) means that the coolant is just gushing through the smaller core, and the ideal cooling situation for the stock cooler would be once the pumps are back in low-domain, IE off throttle.

We also attach an engineering report to each product page as well, which you can view here.

Would be nice to see what were the exact conditions when the tests were done - heatsoak test, load test (pressure), and load test (temperature). I have no doubt in my bone that this new HX is better than stock but how much better is the question.

That introductory price seems good. I also watched the video and as expected installation is very similar with AMS HX - except that AMS didn't need a hose adapter. Also, I noticed it wasn't shown in the video that the radiator will have to be pulled back to its original position. Isn't that case? It was lifted and pushed in initially to have enough room for positioning the HX.
Check out the link in the above comment, and that should help!

As for your question about the hose extension and the installation, we have the hose extension in there because we relocated one port to the top of the end tank to ensure that we're using the entire core, plus to further eliminate the possibilities the formation of air pockets in the top couple rows of the core. Also, yup it looks like that step wasn't in the video, but yes you just need to pop the radiator/AC condenser back into place once the heat exchanger is secured

Let me know if you have any other questions guys!

-Nick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Guys!

Just wanted to give this thread another "we're getting close to release" bump, this time with more video!

-Nick
These are great questions!

So yes this will fit on the Q50S, and as long as there's no drastic difference in your front bumper, there shouldn't be any fitment issues. As for pricing, we'll be announcing that with our presale launch in about 2 weeks! It's priced competitively, and we do also offer financing.

I tried searching around for an aftermarket vacuum tool to no avail, it seems that Air Lift has cornered that market. I would check out your local auto parts store though to see if they have any rentals available. That said, the removal of the bumper cover is pretty straight forward, but the full install is pretty labor intensive. We did film an install video, would you guys want to see that ahead of time? Just to get an idea of what the install is like

Thanks,
Nick
Looks cool and seems like it would have been a great option but I got anxious and had some limited time to install one so I bought a Burger Tuning heat exchanger. I bet yours is better developed and likely would have been easier to install. I would have been a perfect candidate but the hit or miss release, no timeframe and nothing about price had me worried. I bought and installed your oil catch can and it a much better product then some of the others being offered. (
&
)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Infiniti

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
I'm still trying to wrap my head around Infiniti engineers designing an intercooler that provides absolutely no cooling. Has any other aftermarket intercooler heat exchanger manufacturer duplicated this testing? I'm sorry but I'm still somewhat skeptical of Mishimoto's test results until I see independent test results mirroring their data.

·
Vendor
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Looks cool and seems like it would have been a great option but I got anxious and had some limited time to install one so I bought a Burger Tuning heat exchanger. I bet yours is better developed and likely would have been easier to install. I would have been a perfect candidate but the hit or miss release, no timeframe and nothing about price had me worried. I bought and installed your oil catch can and it a much better product then some of the others being offered. (
&
)
Oh what could have been!

No worries! At the end of the day, we just want what's best for your car even if that means going with another company (though we do hope it is up ;) )Glad to hear that you're enjoying the extra protection for your intake valves with the catch can! You aren't kidding with the carbon buildup that can happen on the direct injected engines. I'm in a very similar boat with my FOST as you mentioned in that second video, though I'm at about 120k miles now

@Mishimoto Until what date will the presale run?
We're looking at running this presale through early December

I'm still trying to wrap my head around Infiniti engineers designing an intercooler that provides absolutely no cooling. Has any other aftermarket intercooler heat exchanger manufacturer duplicated this testing? I'm sorry but I'm still somewhat skeptical of Mishimoto's test results until I see independent test results mirroring their data.
So, we're not trying to say that the stock unit is not effective, what we're saw here is that during our testing the stock unit wasn't able to keep up, and there's a few reasons for this. Since the Red Sport has two pumps (the vehicle we did our testing on) in the air-to-water system, the coolant is running through the stock core at a much quicker rate when it's in the high speed setting. Less time in the smaller core means that there's very little heat transfer happening, however that's primarily when the pumps are in the high speed setting.

Most of the heat transfer for the stock core happens when the vehicle is at high speed and low load, IE highway cruising. The intercooling water pump is running at its low speed setting, so the coolant is spending more time in the core with a high flow of air to help dissipate the heat in the core. We also would anticipate a greater difference in both cores on a vehicle running more boost since there's much more heat being on the intercooler's inlet.

For our testing, we wanted to show how each core performed under the harshest conditions, since that's when this part of the air-to-water system really comes into its own. I hope this helps clear up any confusion, but I'm more than willing to answer any follow up questions you might have!

-Nick

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good stuff nick thanks a lot on keeping us informed and on your amazing products being produced for our cars! Ordering this and your cc asap!

·
Vendor
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Hey Guys!

Just wanted to bump this up to make sure everyone still gets in on the special pricing! We have a little over a week left on the presale!

-Nick

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hey Guys!

Just wanted to bump this up to make sure everyone still gets in on the special pricing! We have a little over a week left on the presale!

-Nick
Link?

·
Registered
379 Posts
41 - 56 of 56 Posts