Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,740 Posts
@Mishimoto - any updates on the development work?

·
Registered
2018 Q50S [RWD]
174 Posts
That's a great point!

So, from what we know from our HX development, this system should be self bleeding, provided that you're keeping the intercooling system's expansion tank full while you let the fluid circulate through the system. The only time an Airlift tool is fully necessary is when the system is fully drained since the intercooler water pumps aren't self-priming. That said, however, we're still planning to take a look into the bleeding procedure with our new intercoolers, and still having an additional bleeding point is never a bad idea! We actually added one on our heat exchanger to help simplify the process as well.

-Nick
The port in your HX facilitated the bleeding process for me. I had an airlift tool but it didn't work properly because I didn't have a big enough air compressor. I found out too late and had already drained the whole system.

·
Vendor
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hmm, cast aluminum. Interesting
Casting is the eventual final production plan, but these are actually 3D printed using an SLS (selective laser sintering) process so that could speed up our testing process and fully lock in the best design before we start casting these components. I'll have some more info on our kit coming by the end of the month!

-Nick

·
Registered
Spartanburg, SC 2016 RS Q50
700 Posts
This is quite a slow process....

·
Vendor
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
This is quite a slow process....
Intercooler development, especially when it comes to A2W on a platform like the Q50, does take some time! We'd rather take our time to make sure every part of our design is up to the Mishimoto standards rather than deliver you guys sub-par products.

That all said, we have our test kit constructed and our donor vehicle was loaded on our DynaPack system last night, so we're getting much closer now!

-Nick

·
Vendor
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hey Guys!

As promised, our long-awaited update to our intercooler project! As always, make sure that you head over to our engineering blog for the full look at our working prototypes:

TRICKLE DOWN POWER – 2016+ INFINITI Q50/Q60 3.0T PERFORMANCE INTERCOOLER R&D, PART 3 – PROTOTYPING AND PRELIMINARY TESTING

When we last left off, our prototype intercoolers were a plastic 1:1 scale model of our new design, specifically 3D printed for a real-world fitment check before starting our production. The trouble is that even with the advancement in technology, manufacturing is still a lengthy and costly process, especially when it comes to casting aluminum. Being the sticklers that we are, we wanted to ensure that our intercoolers would perform up to our standards before churning out hundreds of units without slowing down our development process. So, we decided to assemble a set of one-off working prototypes.
3D printing is something that we rely on here at Mishimoto since it’s an ideal process for expediting our development process. While our printers aren’t set up for it, this manufacturing method has advanced to allow for the printing of metal, which is ideal for our situation. Metal 3D printing doesn’t require expensive tooling and is a much more efficient means of producing functional prototypes on a time crunch...read more...
We also started our preliminary testing, including a flow comparison against the stock units, and so far these are looking to be a solid addition to the VR30DDTT:

We still have a little more to wrap up before we dig into our final performance testing, but make sure that you guys keep your eyes peeled for those coming soon.

-Nick

·
Registered
700 Posts
Why is there a difference in flow between the 2 sides?

·
Registered
829 Posts
The oem intercooler has a 2 psi pressure drop at 250cfm and the mishimoto has ~1 psi drop at 250cfm.

A Red Sport moves around 300cfm per side. A little extrapolation shows how restrictive the oem intercoolers can be for a tuned VR30. The intercoolers are probably ideally sized for the low boost VR30 and marginally ok for the Red Sport and even ok for tuned vehicles making less than 450rwhp because you'll want to drop boost levels (hence cfm) past 5,000rpm or so. Them being marginally undersized also helps keep velocity up which helps efficiency but is a restriction once you're making a lot of power.

I'm really interested in the dyno tests on a stock setup.

·
Vendor
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Why is there a difference in flow between the 2 sides?
Just like @xBlitzkriegx was saying, there's slight variation between each intercooler that does cause some difference in the flow

The oem intercooler has a 2 psi pressure drop at 250cfm and the mishimoto has ~1 psi drop at 250cfm.

A Red Sport moves around 300cfm per side. A little extrapolation shows how restrictive the oem intercoolers can be for a tuned VR30. The intercoolers are probably ideally sized for the low boost VR30 and marginally ok for the Red Sport and even ok for tuned vehicles making less than 450rwhp because you'll want to drop boost levels (hence cfm) past 5,000rpm or so. Them being marginally undersized also helps keep velocity up which helps efficiency but is a restriction once you're making a lot of power.

I'm really interested in the dyno tests on a stock setup.
Those OE intercoolers can handle some extra boost but they fall short pretty quick, and wanted to ensure that our kit could handle the big numbers that the VR30 can put down.

We actually wanted to see how these would perform with the extra boost running through the system and our test vehicle is already sporting a tune and plenty of bolt-ons that put it close to the top end of what the stock ICs can handle. We'll have more info coming soon!

-Nick

·
Registered
700 Posts
Please don't make these so expensive that no one can afford them. I am highly intrigued though. The dyno will be the indicator as to how efficient they are for air flow and also keeping temps at a manageable level for multiple pulls.

Reactions: Red RS400

·
Registered
583 Posts
DailyQ50 recently laid down 862AWHP and he's on the stock intercoolers and that was 29psi on Garrett G25-550's. @Mishimoto you guys may want to reach out to him. I'm sure he would be willing to test with you guys.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Please don't make these so expensive that no one can afford them. I am highly intrigued though. The dyno will be the indicator as to how efficient they are for air flow and also keeping temps at a manageable level for multiple pulls.
yeah, dropbear really scared off a lot of people with their pricing. a set from them will never be cheap because of the low production volume and labor involved in their build process. its not their fault, its just how it is. mishimoto will be better equipped to offer a more realistic pricing strategy but dont expect them to be inexpensive.

·
Registered
2018 Q50S [RWD]
174 Posts
yeah, dropbear really scared off a lot of people with their pricing. a set from them will never be cheap because of the low production volume and labor involved in their build process. its not their fault, its just how it is. mishimoto will be better equipped to offer a more realistic pricing strategy but dont expect them to be inexpensive.
If we compare pricibg to other platforms with Air to Water intercoolers systems like the F10 M5, they go from anywhere around $900 up to $2500 for the set depending on the manufacturer.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
DailyQ50 recently laid down 862AWHP and he's on the stock intercoolers and that was 29psi on Garrett G25-550's. @Mishimoto you guys may want to reach out to him. I'm sure he would be willing to test with you guys.
Wasn't that with an interchiller?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Wasn't that with an interchiller?
I don't think he has an interchiller...just the AMS race heat exchanger. From what I remember with his chat with Boost is that he's spraying a 50/50 methanol/water mix on E30 with Sunoco 104 Octane. He had to go down to E30 because he's hitting the limits of DI and is looking at adding port injection as well. He's still on the stock intake manifold, which will become an issue at some point if he keeps turning up the boost.

Reactions: Ddnspider

·
Vendor
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Hey Gang!

I just wanted to give this thread a quick bump and let you all know that we're still working on wrapping this project up! I know it's been a minute since we've had an update for you but we're ensuring everything is up to snuff before we launch the final product.

We'll have PLENTY more regarding the performance of our system coming closer to the launch of our presale in the next few weeks.

Thanks again for your patience, guys! We're STOKED to finish this up and get these on your Q50/60s!

-Nick

21 - 40 of 71 Posts