Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Vendor
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hey Guys,

It's FINALLY time! The results are in and we're eager to share them. As always make sure that you head over to our Engineering Blog for the full scoop!

TRICKLE DOWN POWER – 2016+ INFINITI Q50/Q60 3.0T PERFORMANCE INTERCOOLER R&D, PART 4 – DYNO TESTING

Evolution is all about improving over the generations. We hold our ancestors in high regard because they were able to make the first changes, but we use that as a base to improve. It’s much the same with the Q50’s potent platform. Inherited from the groundbreaking and mind-bending powerhouse that is the R35 GT-R, the Infinitis harness the potential of the derived VR30DDTT to shove you back into your quilted leather bucket seat.

One of the evolutionary hangups that still plagues this everyday GT-R, however, is the intercooler system. We’ve been hard at work ready to rectify that issue and put our new design to the test on our Dynapack system. Read more...
But wait, there's more! We're also launching our discounted presale today, so make sure that you grab your set today:

PERFORMANCE AIR-TO-WATER INTERCOOLERS, FITS INFINITI Q50/Q60 3.0T 2016+

As always, don't hesitate to reach out with any questions that you might have!

-Nick

·
Registered
Spartanburg, SC 2016 RS Q50
700 Posts
So what's the cost? $2kish?

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,703 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
nice work. these results mimic the dropbear intercoolers in performance but end up costing less ($500 less with the pre-order). DB's set is $1900 for just the cores. this is for everything, well done.

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
875 Posts
Well - if those performance improvement numbers are typical - that’s a big price tag for measured gains of (+8 whp / +12 wtq.)

Perhaps I miss read the link ?

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,703 Posts
Well - if those performance improvement numbers are typical - that’s a big price tag for measured gains of (+8 whp / +12 wtq.)

Perhaps I miss read the link ?
The real benefits aren’t hp gains, but heatsoak elimination, or at least slowing it down. It’s another piece to add to the typical larger HX, larger reservoir, 2nd extra reservoir, and 2nd pump. Would also pair well with killerchiller/interchiller, providing a suitable track(road course) setup. For the strip or occasional pulls the cost to benefit ratio probably isn’t there. But people who beat on it on the track or canyon runs it will probably be worth it. Hard to say at the total investment though if A2A or larger ICs, HX, and chillers which is the better setup. For single passes the chiller going below ambient is a big plus.

·
Registered
52 Posts
after presale almost 2k for minimal gains I really can’t see any added value for me! it may be great if you never push the car to keep the IATs down but I think it’ll still get heat soaked..in my opinion air to air is the way to go it’s been proven many times over on other Platforms..
just driving around in 100° weather yesterday my IATS were 108 + just driving normal.
it’s great to have a variety of options for different setups so bravo for the hard work and testing

Reactions: Mishimoto

·
Registered
829 Posts
so i completely understand everyone here questioning the power gains but i think it needs to be reiterated that intercoolers and heat exchangers arent meant to add hp, though they could facilitate it indirectly.

the mishimoto unit excels at keeping temps cooler but more importantly, consistent. the overall temps are lower but not significantly so, which makes sense given the oem placement and correspondingly limited size. however, something important to note that is in their testing, the mishimoto temps never got hotter than the oem intercoolers started out. the mishimoto part stands out in consistency.

something else i want to point out is that cooler temps do not mean less stress on oem turbos. you cant run even more boost on oem turbos and expect reliability just because the temps are cooler. you will realize bigger/better gains on aftermarket turbos than you will with oem turbos. theres not a large gain here because the tiny oem spinny bois are already tapped out.

i think these are a great thing to have but theyre definitely a mod to be done further in the mod chain. changing them at all will be beneficial but i think its pretty obvious that only a 1psi drop compared to stock shows the oem intercoolers flow quite well and provide adequate charge cooling at near stock power levels. its still more wise to change the HX first, then intercoolers at a later date.

·
Registered
829 Posts
after presale almost 2k for minimal gains I really can’t see any added value for me! it may be great if you never push the car to keep the IATs down but I think it’ll still get heat soaked..in my opinion air to air is the way to go it’s been proven many times over on other Platforms..
just driving around in 100° weather yesterday my IATS were 108 + just driving normal.
it’s great to have a variety of options for different setups so bravo for the hard work and testing
changing intercoolers is never a way to add hp unless your existing setup is woefully undersized to begin with.

A2A is NOT superior to A2W, its just different. additionally, it comes down to properly sizing the system to reject heat. something that people tend to forget is that most A2A systems generally heat soak MUCH worse at low speeds and idle situations. plus, they tend to get overwhelmed much faster at big power levels.

generally, A2A favors a condition where ambient air is constantly flowing over the intercooler, such as at a track. A2W favors short bursts where recovery isnt as much an issue. additionally, A2W lends itself to packaging and efficiency considerations quite well. theres a reason why a 400hp+ TTV6 can get 32mpg and have a ton of torque at 2500rpm all while passing emissions and fitting under the hood without the need for a huge nose.

also, A2A will never go below ambient, just as normal A2W wont either UNLESS you add ice (ice box) or chill the fluid (interchiller). the reason you see A2A so often is due to price first, then weight. oems and aftermarkets use A2A because its cheaper and there's more profit margin to be had. its also more simple so theres reliability considerations.

for A2W on a Q50, probably the 100% most ideal setup is going to be an interchiller and these intercoolers. no A2A is EVER gong to touch this setup in a drag race scenario.

·
Vendor
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Hey Guys!

Appreciate the feedback! Also couldn't have said it better myself @xBlitzkriegx and @17awdQ50P! Upgrading your intercooler system is more for solidifying your platform for other power mods, since keeping consistently cooler air is essential for the best results. It just so happens that flowing and cooling better than the OEM system will generate more power just from bolting them on in some cases. Think these as a key to unlock more potential from your VR30DDTT

I also just wanted to update you guys with some fresh new renders of the final product! We're still working on our product photography, but we wanted to give you a closer look at the final product. I'll keep you posted on any more updates as we get closer to the launch date!

-Nick

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
875 Posts
Looking very sharp - any chance for those of us with your OCC we could see what that relocation would look like?

·
Vendor
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Looking very sharp - any chance for those of us with your OCC we could see what that relocation would look like?
That's a great question! It would look just about the same, honestly. Our engineer adjusted the current bracket to give the proper clearance for the catch can. We'll also be including this bracket with the intercooler kit too. We actually had it installed during our testing:

-Nick

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
875 Posts
The photo is very helpful - it looks like the OCC is just a bit closer to the brake booster compartment with the new bracket. 😎

Reactions: Q50Wolf

·
Vendor
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I have two questions. First did you guys decide to put bleeders in the units and secondly do you guys think it will have interference with the AMS fuel filter kit?
Great questions!

We did look into adding a bleeder screw into the system, but since these are at the top of the system they shouldn't require much effort to bleed out air bubbles. You'd be able to bleed from the return lines, just as long as you keep the expansion tank topped off

As far as the fuel filter kit, we can't confirm the fitment with that installed since our test vehicle didn't have this on the list of modifications. Just from scoping out the photos, it looks like they should fit if you're not running the catch can

-Nick

·
Registered
52 Posts
changing intercoolers is never a way to add hp unless your existing setup is woefully undersized to begin with.

A2A is NOT superior to A2W, its just different. additionally, it comes down to properly sizing the system to reject heat. something that people tend to forget is that most A2A systems generally heat soak MUCH worse at low speeds and idle situations. plus, they tend to get overwhelmed much faster at big power levels.

generally, A2A favors a condition where ambient air is constantly flowing over the intercooler, such as at a track. A2W favors short bursts where recovery isnt as much an issue. additionally, A2W lends itself to packaging and efficiency considerations quite well. theres a reason why a 400hp+ TTV6 can get 32mpg and have a ton of torque at 2500rpm all while passing emissions and fitting under the hood without the need for a huge nose.

also, A2A will never go below ambient, just as normal A2W wont either UNLESS you add ice (ice box) or chill the fluid (interchiller). the reason you see A2A so often is due to price first, then weight. oems and aftermarkets use A2A because its cheaper and there's more profit margin to be had. its also more simple so theres reliability considerations.

for A2W on a Q50, probably the 100% most ideal setup is going to be an interchiller and these intercoolers. no A2A is EVER gong to touch this setup in a drag race scenario.

Perfect example is the Stillen supercharger kit made for the 370z A2W heats soaks easy and makes below average power.. switching to A2A has been proven to make at least 100 more WHP..
I have been logging my IAT and Charge Air temp since it’s heating up out here in the desert.. 103 degrees today reading of 138 IAT degrees and Charge air 129 while idle.. moving temps were 118 and 117

it’s been Proven the A2A setup adds power to our cars..
Again different Setups for different people
while yes the interchiller maybe the way to go for some im all for different setups..

·
Super Moderator
3,740 Posts
@Mishimoto Will a video tutorial get released regarding installation of these A2W intercoolers?

Reactions: Abstract rude
41 - 60 of 71 Posts