·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I see some crucial things missing:

1. No adaptive suspension system
2. No electronic E-brake
3. No panoramic sunroof

Everyone in the class has #1. I know Audi has #2 and even Kia has #2. #3 would have been nice since even Kia has it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bear in mind the Q50 was intended as a budget entry into a very saturated class, and instead of compromising on build quality some features have been missed out. However i'm not sure if i'd want my high performance sports hybrid to have a panoramic sunroof...

Also consider that no Infinitis (at least of the UK models) have 2 or 3...

Having said that, i'm pretty disappointed there's no option for a panoramic. It makes the roof look nicer when on display, and despite it not being very practical when driving (i'm a big fan of a dark cabin) it looks very impressive when you've not got a black paintjob.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I know that I'll take a hit as being an old fuddy-duddy for this comment, but those things you mention aren't that important to me. What DOES disappoint me is that the Bose system no longer has a 6-disc changer. :confused: I don't have an iPod or any other similar device, and don't want one. And since the system also no longer has a hard drive that you can download your CDs to, It means carrying a bunch of CDs in the car if you want a variety of music to listen to. :mad: The one other thing that is "missing" is that the maple trim is no longer available as a stand alone option, but must be purchased as part of one of the packages, which I also have no need for. I've had five Infinitis, and my present one is the best yet. With only 38,000 miles on it, I have no NEED to get the Q50, but I would consider it if I could get it the way I want it. :(

·
Registered
298 Posts
I think absence of internal hard drive is a really bad thing for me. I have it on Maxima 2010 and found it convenient when my iPhone is not around. According specs we will be able to use USB stick but it has limitations on capacity and speed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bear in mind the Q50 was intended as a budget entry into a very saturated class, and instead of compromising on build quality some features have been missed out.
I'd point out that we're not complaining about a lack of STANDARD features, we're complaining about a lack of options (which we'd presumably pay extra for). For me, I'd like a panoramic roof, but the big missing feature is a lack of ventilated seats.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I can't believe no one has mentioned the complete lack of an analog clock.

If you pre-order a Q50 now, and consumate the purchase before October, Infiniti will give you a $350 (I think that's the amount) Apple gift card. Selzini, you can buy an ipod for that and just leave it in your car. Or you could use the Pandora feature or XM radio.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
These things are really inconsequential when compared with all of the bells and whistles available on the Q50. Think about it, when fully optioned, the car can nearly drive itself on the highway in normal traffic. I know everything listed is a matter of opinion but I can honestly say that I care more about power folding mirrors than anything else that I have seen mentioned.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of course the features aren't necessary but so is the Q50 car itself. I can buy a used $5k car and get from point A to point B.

The point is that as a luxury car, it is missing some luxury features.

And I don't see how adding any of the features I mentioned would compromise build quality. I have extensively read Kia Optima forums and no one has mentioned issues with the panoramic roof nor the electronic E-Brake.

And I see more people on Audi forums complaining about their engines rather than the Adaptive Suspension System.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Selzini, you can buy an ipod for that and just leave it in your car. Or you could use the Pandora feature or XM radio.

You're missing the point. I don't WANT an iPod. I already have a wide variety of CDs with the music I like. Why would I want to have a "free" device that I would then have to pay to download to have the same music available?

It's obvious that Infiniti is limiting individual options so that they can reel in the money with the super-duper packages. I enjoy driving, so the car itself is of prime importance, and I refuse to get the "bells and whistles" in those packages. Packaging options originally were designed to make ordering more convenient, and even to give a discount over ordering options individually. That has now changed. My paid for, 38,500 mile, 2nd generation G35 is looking better and better. :D

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I get your point. But I'm sure you'll manage the big tech jump in media.

And you don't have to pay to put your CD's onto an iPod. I have thousands of songs on my iPhone. The vast majority are from CD's that I copied into iTunes and onto the phone. Only a handful of songs are things I bought through iTunes.

But this is the intertubes and we all love to whine and complain about what is/isn't included in one or more packages. No matter what, there's going to be someone upset with the idiots at Infiniti who are so stupid that they couldn't view things the way they should. And then there are the huge numbers of clients who love the car just the way it is.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Selzini, you can buy an ipod for that and just leave it in your car. Or you could use the Pandora feature or XM radio.

You're missing the point. I don't WANT an iPod. I already have a wide variety of CDs with the music I like. Why would I want to have a "free" device that I would then have to pay to download to have the same music available?

Good luck finding cars now with 6 disc changers a lot of new cars and trucks don't even come with a single disc cd layer now it is a separate option if you want the ability to play cd's... Physical media is going the way of the Dodo bird...

It's obvious that Infiniti is limiting individual options so that they can reel in the money with the super-duper packages. I enjoy driving, so the car itself is of prime importance, and I refuse to get the "bells and whistles" in those packages. Packaging options originally were designed to make ordering more convenient, and even to give a discount over ordering options individually. That has now changed. My paid for, 38,500 mile, 2nd generation G35 is looking better and better. :D
I have s feeling with the 2nd and 3rd allocations they will go to a similar package setup as they have now in the G... Keep In mind this is intro pricing and packed for PRE-ORDER...

I know that I'll take a hit as being an old fuddy-duddy for this comment, but those things you mention aren't that important to me. What DOES disappoint me is that the Bose system no longer has a 6-disc changer. :confused: I don't have an iPod or any other similar device, and don't want one. And since the system also no longer has a hard drive that you can download your CDs to, It means carrying a bunch of CDs in the car if you want a variety of music to listen to. :mad: The one other thing that is "missing" is that the maple trim is no longer available as a stand alone option, but must be purchased as part of one of the packages, which I also have no need for. I've had five Infinitis, and my present one is the best yet. With only 38,000 miles on it, I have no NEED to get the Q50, but I would consider it if I could get it the way I want it. :(
The Bose system hasn't had a 6 disc changer since the 08 MY...good luck with maintenance on that 6 year old car no offense but I am certain the new Q 50 will out perform it in envy regard ... Glad hour happy with it though the Q50 may not be for everyone!

Of course the features aren't necessary but so is the Q50 car itself. I can buy a used $5k car and get from point A to point B.

The point is that as a luxury car, it is missing some luxury features.

And I don't see how adding any of the features I mentioned would compromise build quality. I have extensively read Kia Optima forums and no one has mentioned issues with the panoramic roof nor the electronic E-Brake.

And I see more people on Audi forums complaining about their engines rather than the Adaptive Suspension System.
I actually have read on the optima f our s as well and the there were a few lroblems with the pano sunroof leaking and potentially slightly lifting at high speeds ...

I definitely second the missed opportunity for the ventilated seats you can get them in the M and the FX and the QX it's notnlike they don't know how to do them also missing REAER heated seats that would have been nice too!

·
Premium Member
526 Posts

You're missing the point. I don't WANT an iPod. I already have a wide variety of CDs with thwhich inusic I like. Why would I want to have a "free" device that I would then have to pay to download to have the same music available?

I get what you are saying about the lack of a CD changer or jukebox. Thing is, the manufacturers are just moving away from these things to try and meet the customer's wants. Sales of physical media has been in decline for quite some time now. The good news is that you can freely and legally rip your existing music collection to mp3 and put it on an iPod, USB hard drive, or USB flash drive.

Limiting the various options to just a handful of packages is about limiting the different vehicle configurations that have to be put together on the assembly line. The electronics in these vehicles are largely plug and play. So, this type of setup saves on the overall manufacturing costs which in turn reduces the cost of the vehicle.

Reactions: GtoQ

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I get what you are saying about the lack of a CD changer or jukebox. Thing is, the manufacturers are just moving away from these things to try and meet the customer's wants. Sales of physical media has been in decline for quite some time now. The good news is that you can freely and legally rip your existing music collection to mp3 and put it on an iPod, USB hard drive, or USB flash drive.

Limiting the various options to just a handful of packages is about limiting the different vehicle configurations that have to be put together on the assembly line. The electronics in these vehicles are largely plug and play. So, this type of setup saves on the overall manufacturing costs which in turn reduces the cost of the vehicle.
Well said.....

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I get your point. But I'm sure you'll manage the big tech jump in media.

And you don't have to pay to put your CD's onto an iPod. I have thousands of songs on my iPhone. The vast majority are from CD's that I copied into iTunes and onto the phone. Only a handful of songs are things I bought through iTunes.

But this is the intertubes and we all love to whine and complain about what is/isn't included in one or more packages. No matter what, there's going to be someone upset with the idiots at Infiniti who are so stupid that they couldn't view things the way they should. And then there are the huge numbers of clients who love the car just the way it is.
It used to be that companies would do what was necessary to please the potential buyer. Now, not so much. I realize that since they have designed the car with the new Bose system, it might be impossible to have available a different, 6-disc system. However, think of it this way: If I went to Infiniti with a check for $1,000,000 if they would take the time to put in maple trim as a stand alone option, you can bet that they would do it. I'm sure that some of the electronic enhancements are, by necessity, required to be in a package, but a completely unrelated option like the maple trim has nothing to do with electronics. It's just that they want to make as much as possible. I'm sure that there are others who would gladly pay for the maple trim alone, but who will not get it because they refuse to pay for the $5,000 package that they don't need.

As far as having XM Sirius radio available as a replacement for the CDs: That's only a "free" 3-month subscription. Why should I pay for something that I already have enough of? What it comes down to is that I don't like any entity determining how I should live my life, especially when that entity is making money off of it. I hope that the possibility of them changing the option list comes true, but I won't hold my breath.:(

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

:eek: You do realize, you can put your CD's into iTunes then just transfer them onto the iPod for...FREE right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ventilated Seats. Here in Texas the summers are long and very hot. Heated seats seem pretty much standard on many cars and of course are relatively cheap to implement, but I'd love the option of ventilated seats and not have to buy an even more high end car to get them. I think the Q50 is high enough that they can offer this at least as an option. It is an option on the IS which is a lower price point than the Q50.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I think Infiniti and many other car companies intentionally leave out options such as ventilated seats for the M37/Q70 as it is supposed to be their more premium, bigger-flagship sedan. They need to pull back on certain amenities like that to save money on their lower cars, increase interest on their bigger cars, and better differentiate themselves within certain car segments.

It's the same with the Altima-Maxima situation. Putting ventilated seats as an option on an Altima probably wouldn't a big deal for Nissan, but they've chosen to put it on the Maxima to increase appeal on the Maxima and increase its value as the flagship/premium sedan in their lineup. That makes sense to me.

The Kia Optima is a very unusual case. There's a reason why it has so many options available that most other cars just don't have and it's because of like I said--Kia has no other flagship/premium sedan in their lineup. Until the new Cadenza comes out, the Kia Optima is the only standard/entry level premium sedan that Kia has had and so, for them, they're able to shell out every single little option that they can squeeze in because they have no other reason to hold out to carry over into another vehicle to increase interest for another segment.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.