·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's funny when I read the comments after the article. People just threw in the towels for either one or the other, all based on one mans account in an article. Tragic.
Yeah, most of them probably aren't even in the market to buy a car :)

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
It's funny when I read the comments after the article. People just threw in the towels for either one or the other, all based on one mans account in an article. Tragic.
Well, it's the same kind of thing that I've had a problem with for quite some time.

At least they waited at least until some in-depth reviews came out before they ordered the car... ;)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
From Mortara concerning the Infinti: "A great engine with plenty of power, but I found the throttle a little lazy during spirited driving."

This is one of the quote from the article. I wonder if they drive it in Standard mode. As we know, the Q50S Standard vs Sport mode is like night and day different.
The Q50S in standard mode is more on gas saving than performance. If you drive the Q50S in Sport mode plus manual shift, it's very quick and fast.
They didn't mention anything about the drive mode setting. The standard mode in the IS350 F Sport is probably more aggressive setting than the Q50, that's why the Q50 got better EPA rating. Thought?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Very accurate assessment of the two cars. The IS F is much more fun on the street. Shame it has this ugly front end. If I get one I will stage an accident and let the insurance company pay for a non F-Sport bumper:D

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
From Mortara concerning the Infinti: "A great engine with plenty of power, but I found the throttle a little lazy during spirited driving."

This is one of the quote from the article. I wonder if they drive it in Standard mode. As we know, the Q50S Standard vs Sport mode is like night and day different.
The Q50S in standard mode is more on gas saving than performance. If you drive the Q50S in Sport mode plus manual shift, it's very quick and fast.
They didn't mention anything about the drive mode setting. The standard mode in the IS350 F Sport is probably more aggressive setting than the Q50, that's why the Q50 got better EPA rating. Thought?
Yeah, that's definitely the case.

The IS350's transmission is extremely thirsty, which makes for a much more spirited drive experience but of course, it will cost you at the pump. I believe the IS350 F-Sport has the poorest fuel economy in its class.

I think it's obvious that they're gauging the performance of both cars with and without manual shifting, which I think is still fair because to the average consumer, they're probably not going to be using the paddles all that much or perhaps even know how to use them. A lot of these auto journalists will give credit to the manual shifting where it's due, but they should be informative and inform buyers of the car's normal transmission and shift points.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Your read my mind perfectly :)
Another case is the G37 loaner I drove last week. The car feel quick and seem like it's alway in sport mode all the time. Of course, the G37 doesn't have any drive mode selector. When the Q50 put in sport mode, it felt just as quick as the G37 with the expense of gas mileage of course.

Yeah, that's definitely the case.

The IS350's transmission is extremely thirsty, which makes for a much more spirited drive experience but of course, it will cost you at the pump. I believe the IS350 F-Sport has the poorest fuel economy in its class.

I think it's obvious that they're gauging the performance of both cars with and without manual shifting, which I think is still fair because to the average consumer, they're probably not going to be using the paddles at that much or perhaps even know how to use them. A lot of these auto journalists will give credit to the manual shifting where it's due, but they should be informative and inform buyers of the car's normal transmission and shift points.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
How can you mention spirited driving without mentioning what mode the car is in? I would call the throttle response on my GS350 lethargic normally (first gear is way too conservative) but in Sport or Sport S+ it wakes up and gets moving.

I noticed the Q50's I test drove were the same way, they were much more lively in Sport mode than normal. Although, side by side, the default spirit of the Q50 is more energized than the GS350. It's not until you start twisting knobs (literally) that the GS brings it's A game.

The IS is shooting for a different, younger market in my opinion. The LFS gauges tell you everything that the front grille reaffirms. Now I get why Carlos Ghosn never mentioned the IS being targeted by the Q. The only things they have in common is 4 doors and 4 tires and maybe a similar price range.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The Lexus didn't seem like a premium product when put next to the Infiniti for me.
I had both side by side and inside and out, the Infiniti feels like a $50k car while the Lexus is sub-$35k-$40k.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
It seems like quite a few people have mentioned that the tail lights on the Q look like a Sonata. Well, today, as I was leaving a parking lot, ahead of me in the next lane was a car I thought was an IS. When I looked closer, it happened to be a Kia Optima. THOSE tail lights look almost identical, especially when you look at the entire "rump."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.