Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
wow - gutsy move by infiniti. I did not think the bugs were worked out yet for them to provide one to motor trend. well, hopefully the warm california weather will keep the gremlins at bay. good luck infiniti. I truly want to see this car do well. have those software reprogrammers on stand by (I'm not kidding) so any issues can be dealt with speedily. And consider offering MT a hybrid as well. It will blow their socks off (and the competition) in the performance category. Just fix the brakes before you give 'em a Q50H.

·
Registered
236 Posts
you might not have brake issues - but MT trashed the brakes in their previous eval - so they'll be looking at them closely. Just want to see the evaluation go well...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
It read better than I expected.
Maybe they are warming up to DAS.

One of the editors said it was more fun to drive on the track than an F-Sport even though it has DAS steering *double gasp*

One of the comments cracked me up. :)
"syakov79
13 hours ago

its amazing to me how little flak there has been for the new Infiniti touch screen interface vs the vitriol aimed at CUE and MFT. "

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
you might not have brake issues - but MT trashed the brakes in their previous eval - so they'll be looking at them closely. Just want to see the evaluation go well...
They did, but I'm not entirely sure why. Their description has not been my experience, even under full anti-lock pulsing emergency braking.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I have to say MT has seemed more open minded to the whole DAS thing, and just more open minded in general, than R&T and C&D. I still think the initial tests with these cars may have been run with the ALC on from several articles, the photos in those articles showing the tale-tale green shield, and as one MT tester commented that the steering felt like it terminated in a jar of molasses. With ALC on, yea, you're not in total control of the car and I can totally get the molasses reference, but with it off, DAS feels sharper than mechanical. Anyways, crossing fingers for Infiniti. They're definitely an underdog right now, but I feel like they've got such a good idea on the future, for one, by introducing the concept of a hybrid being the performance echelon of a model. That was one of the things that most attracted me to the car.

·
Registered
697 Posts
lets just hope the test car doesnt start having DAS issues or MT will burn the Q50 right down to the ground.
I beg to differ. I really hope the car shows all its problems so Infiniti gets them resolved, ultimately benefiting all of us.

Reactions: druhoops and jlw

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I don't think the Motortrend impression will change much unless Infiniti put a high performance non run-flat tires. I drove a Q50 premium loaner with Bridgestone run-flat tires and it felt very strange and awkward on the steering and road feel. This Q50 premium don't even have DAS. I believe the thick sidewall of the run-flat tires cause this weird sensation.
I had been driving my Q50S hybrid with the Michelin A/S3 tires and it doesn't felt anything like it. The handling and road feel is awesome even with DAS. So, if Infiniti is smart, they need to change out those run-flat tires. I think the poor handling and road feel of the run-flat make Motortrend think it's DAS fault.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Can someone message them to suggest turning off the active lane control? I'm thinking that may be an issue as someone mentioned above. I don't know how deep they go which testing these types of settings in long term reviews.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I don't think the Motortrend impression will change much unless Infiniti put a high performance non run-flat tires. I drove a Q50 premium loaner with Bridgestone run-flat tires and it felt very strange and awkward on the steering and road feel. This Q50 premium don't even have DAS. I believe the thick sidewall of the run-flat tires cause this weird sensation.
At least the car they have has the summer high performance run flats.
They seem much better than the all seasons that Q50 Premium gets.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I had summer run flats (Bridgestone) on my BMW. They were awful! And, if there was snow even 1 mile away, they would break loose. They weren't even recommended for cold dry weather.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'm sure the 19" Dunlop RFT is better than the 17" Bridgestone RFT. I remember when I test drove the Q50S hybrid before the car was released and it is not this bad compared to the Q50 premium loaner I drove yesterday.
The Q50 premium steering response and road felt is the worst I had ever seem. I thought my Lexus ES350 was bad, this Q50 premium is even worst. The car felt like it is wandering about the lane, and I had to constantly make adjustment to the steering. When I had to make adjustment to the steering; it took a lots effort just to correct it, and it felt awkward and strange. I felt tired just driving it for a day.
I'm sure it is due to the run flat tires. I think if Infiniti get rid of it and replace it with non run-flat tire, it will get praise review. One thing I do like about the Q50 premium is the 3.7 engine and the refined transmission. It is quick, fast and transmission shifting is smooth. It felt good. But, I still like the Q50 hybrid more :)
I'm so glad to get my car back. It's like night and day different.

·
Registered
151 Posts
They did, but I'm not entirely sure why. Their description has not been my experience, even under full anti-lock pulsing emergency braking.
You won't notice the odd behavior during emergency braking. If anything, that's when they behave like normal brakes (well, at least they fell that way to me and they stopped **** quick)!

During city driving I do notice the odd braking behavior, where it'll brake subtlety and then bite pretty hard after that. As a driver, you really do have full control over how much of this effect you want to allow but it does take a certain amount of skill/finesse to brake smoothly. I actually didn't notice it much at first until I start driving around the 3.7 loaners off & on the last few weeks. I did notice that the brakes settle down a bit after they warm up. In any case, I am well adapted to them now but occasionally I'll brake a bit rough, though this usually coincides with the occasional rough Engine/Hybrid transition.

Unrelated but FWIW, I love how DAS feels compared to the hydraulic steering after being in the loaners. I truly hope Infiniti can resolve the DAS concerns so my wife and I actually feel safe driving it instead of hoping we won't experience issues just because it's warm here. Not sure we'll ever gain that confidence back but we'll see.

I'm sure the 19" Dunlop RFT is better than the 17" Bridgestone RFT. I remember when I test drove the Q50S hybrid before the car was released and it is not this bad compared to the Q50 premium loaner I drove yesterday.
The Q50 premium steering response and road felt is the worst I had ever seem. I thought my Lexus ES350 was bad, this Q50 premium is even worst. The car felt like it is wandering about the lane, and I had to constantly make adjustment to the steering. When I had to make adjustment to the steering; it took a lots effort just to correct it, and it felt awkward and strange. I felt tired just driving it for a day.
I'm sure it is due to the run flat tires. I think if Infiniti get rid of it and replace it with non run-flat tire, it will get praise review. One thing I do like about the Q50 premium is the 3.7 engine and the refined transmission. It is quick, fast and transmission shifting is smooth. It felt good. But, I still like the Q50 hybrid more :)
I'm so glad to get my car back. It's like night and day different.
I agree with you about the 3.7, it seems like the engine and transmission work really well together (finally). The 3.7 loaner I have "feels" faster than the hybrid at times but I know that isn't really the case. It just feels so peppy even on standard and the up/down shifts are like butter. That said, I still prefer my hybrid but I do wish the engine/transmission was a bit smoother around town. Don't miss the 16-18 MPG on the 3.7 vs the 28-32 that I get on the hybrid...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Bridgestone run flats on the premium are awful! They also ruined the ride of the new 2014 Cadillac CTS (as per consumer reports). Their sidewall looks like it was designed for a military bullet proof Humvee.

Funny, when I go from a non DAS to a DAS Q50, I can't wait to get back to
the conventional steering. I guess the definition of"normal" is what we are used to.

The 3.7 is as fast as the Hybrid. Actually, it is faster at higher speeds (say, 0-120mph).

·
Registered
697 Posts
Driving an ATS this week and DAS blows it away IMO

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.