Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Infiniti issued a press release in conjunction with the recent Geneva Auto Show regarding Q50 MPG (and others stats). See here. Note that the news release was written for a European audience and discusses the European 4-cylinder models, but it also discusses the 6 cylinder and 6 cylinder hybrid. European MPG and U.S. MPG are not equivalent (you have to do a conversion), but here is my take:

6 Cylinder 3.5 liter Hybrid MPG: 37-38 MPG (U.S.) [45 MPG based on the British Imperial gallon, which is larger than the U.S. gallon]

I didn't see MPG estimates for the non-hybrid 6 cylinder.

That's better MPG than I expected for the hybrid (a material amount better than the M35h), although we'll have to wait for the "official" numbers for the U.S. Infiniti indicated in the press release that the Q50h will have faster acceleration than the M35h, and that other performance and efficiency improvements have been made to extend the MPG, including a longer electric-only range than the M35h.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
If the hybrid can hit those estimates or even come within 5 mpg of the lowest number, it will be a great deal.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have a feeling it won't convert to THAT high. I'm guessing it'll be rated at 34-35 HWY, maybe 28-30 City.
Still 28 city / 34 highway is a lot better than the 18 city / 24 high way you'd see on the G35's or G37's!

I'll have to see how much more a hybrid will cost over the normal version before deciding but if it is only $4-$5k more, it is a no brainer - more performance and better economy!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Still 28 city / 34 highway is a lot better than the 18 city / 24 high way you'd see on the G35's or G37's!

I'll have to see how much more a hybrid will cost over the normal version before deciding but if it is only $4-$5k more, it is a no brainer - more performance and better economy!
Check out this YouTube video interview of an Infiniti Rep

At 1:10 he mentions expecting 34 mpg on the hybrid and 2-3 mpg more on the non hybrid v6

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Anything close to 35mpg will be great on a Q50. Much better than a normal G37 that is for sure :D

And hopefully the hybrid will be just as fun to drive and quick if not more.

The q50 hybrid should be lighter than the M35h. It should be a few MPG better and a bit quicker.

power/weight ratio ftw.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I honestly don't think that there is really a market for a carbon fiber-ed Q50. I mean yes some people on this forum or any other Q50 forums (if there are any others) may or may not want it, but realistically you have to look at who the majority of G's and Q50's are being sold to. Usually its more middle aged people than anything else, and they're just looking for affordable luxury, not necessarily something light weight and super fast. Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome if Infiniti made a Q50 with CF hood, trunk, and roof that would be a M3 killer, but I just don't see that happening right now.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Surprised with carbon fiber getting cheaper to produce there has been nothing mentioned about the Q50 getting CF. CF roof on the Q50 would be nice for looks and function...increasing gas mileage.
Yes, Carbon fiber might be getting cheaper but that doesnt necessarily mean it will be cheaper for us when its incorporated in the Q50. For infiniti to go this route the q50's price or certain trim they are offering it with might have a spike in terms of cost.

I like the sounds of that idea though, saving weight can help with fuel economy but might cost a bit more to include it in the Q50 at the moment. IT is a beneficial factor but not right now. I'm sure they have played around with that idea too.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
If the IPL Q60 had carbon fiber parts to reduce weight that would make it very competitive with the M3.

Carbon fiber would have been nice to reduce weight and increase performance and mileage but I don't see that happening yet. Carbon fiber is still expensive.

And that is coming from a carbon fiber fanatic :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can tell by your name. I don't know where carbon fiber is cheap but its not. For quality carbon fiber at least. Just look at the Ferraris, majority of it is built up of carbon fiber and its in the millions.

If the IPL Q50 did come with carbon pieces that would help make a difference in weight but this wont be happening soon. Not until there is a next solution to solve weight reduction.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I was hoping beyond hope that the MPG figures here: 2014 Infiniti Q50 - Price, Specs, Reviews were real for the 3.7 L engine, but everything else that I am reading suggests only a 2-3 MPG increase over G37s.

So may be we will see 22 mpg City/30 mpg Hwy. Since most of my mileage is highway, the hybrid does not make as much sense for me.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I don't see how they can significantly improve the 3.7 millage using the same transmission/engine. My 2008 G35S had 18.2 MPG lifetime average (40K miles),
the 2011 G37 is at 18.1 so far (25K miles).

I use a Prius for my daily commute 48 MPG and I drive it aggressively.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
There are a few common engineering tricks to get better mileage. The goal is to lower rpms so the engine doesn't work as hard. That's achieved by transmission mapping with an eco mode that wants to stay in 6th or 7th gear frequently. Another method is a higher ratio final drive or tall 7th gear. My 2004 with the 5 speed auto turns about 2800 rpm on the highway at 70+ mph. With two more gears it'd be easy to get that down to 2000 rpm or less. Lower revs, higher mileage.

Also you gotta keep in mind these aren't econoboxes and they were never intended to sip gas. While the hybrid is rumored to return 40mpg highway it has the performance edge, and by Prius standards it's bad. But by G37 standards it's great.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Agree. That's what they did with the 7 speed transmission in the G37. Yet
for me the millage is the same vs the 5 speed G35.

BTW, the G35 was much more responsive due to the 5 speed, and as fast.
I hope the Q50 will have better shift programming.

The Prius is a fuel saving device that should not be compered to the Q.
The sports sedan MPG leader is BMW, my friend averages 29mpg in his F30 328i (mixed city/hwy).

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
drag coefficient and tires also make a huge difference. these are areas manufacturers need to look at that don't effect the drive. making it slippery makes the car quieter if anything. and low rolling resistance tires are usually quieter. The trick is making it still grip.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Always wondered what/how the epa tests to determine fuel economy values. Here is the story: Detailed Test Information

23 starts and stops within 31 min. for the city test.

The Q50 ought to do better in the 'high speed' test with a coefficient of drag of .26. Unfortunately, the dyno will not account for this advantage.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.