Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
1,558 Posts
Man, you could buy a new car with the money you put into an engine swap! But technically spoken: Yes, you can!

Reactions: BigHeadClan

· Registered
2018 Q50S [RWD]
224 Posts
Transmission is similar but not the same, you would need a different engine harness as well as a 2016+ ECU. It's not for the faint of heart, but it can be done. Shouldn't be no different than VR30 swapping a 370Z. Search for NoirTM on YouTube and his VR30 swap on a 370z.

Reactions: twin_snails

· Super Moderator
4,220 Posts
it would cost less to source a low mileage 2019+ VR30. this is a waste of time to consider.
Second time in a matter of a week where someone wants to swap out a 3.0t for a 3.7 or 2.0t (shudder)... madness.

· Premium Member
904 Posts
Second time in a matter of a week where someone wants to swap out a 3.0t for a 3.7 or 2.0t (shudder)... madness.
Yeah, I just wished the VR30 was as great as the VQ and VR38 in terms of durability and reliability. Infiniti/Nissan should have atleast revised the porus block and done something about it as the same with the tensioner.

· Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I believe we are being spammed or goaded.

· Registered
2,702 Posts

· Registered
1,556 Posts
Yeah, I just wished the VR30 was as great as the VQ and VR38 in terms of durability and reliability. Infiniti/Nissan should have atleast revised the porus block and done something about it as the same with the tensioner.
It's better than you give it credit for. The VQ37 started out as the the VQ35 and for some reason, people tend to forget all the problems that engine had in it's early life. Anything from random oil burning issues to timing chains, little throttle screws that fall out, and tensioners that inexplicably wear out just shows that no engine is perfect.

Over time, when you've been building the same engine for nearly THIRTY YEARS, you tend to improve on it. Nissan isn't the only company to make the same engine (family) for very long times so it's not like a bad thing since you end up with good engines over time.

Even the the VR30 and VR38 are in the same family, they're really nothing alike. The VR30 is far more of a modern engine design. It will take time before it becomes a bulletproof engine. I say it's already fairly strong as I don't think oem turbos from ANY mfg are worth a crap and the VR30 is FAR from the only aluminum engine to have casting flaws.

· Premium Member
904 Posts
It's better than you give it credit for. The VQ37 started out as the the VQ35 and for some reason, people tend to forget all the problems that engine had in it's early life. Anything from random oil burning issues to timing chains, little throttle screws that fall out, and tensioners that inexplicably wear out just shows that no engine is perfect.

Over time, when you've been building the same engine for nearly THIRTY YEARS, you tend to improve on it. Nissan isn't the only company to make the same engine (family) for very long times so it's not like a bad thing since you end up with good engines over time.

Even the the VR30 and VR38 are in the same family, they're really nothing alike. The VR30 is far more of a modern engine design. It will take time before it becomes a bulletproof engine. I say it's already fairly strong as I don't think oem turbos from ANY mfg are worth a crap and the VR30 is FAR from the only aluminum engine to have casting flaws.
True but I look back to the very first and bulletproof VQ engine ever which was the VQ30DE. That’s the engine for me that laid the foundation for Nissan and the next generation of engines. Yes the initial VQ35DE in 2002 and had issues with oil burning and valve seals and etc.

But some of the most common issues like the drive belt and porus block failure which causes the engine to fail under warranty for some and out of warranty for other or even prematurely you can say is just a little sad. Our cars don’t have the best resale value in the world and yet when we pour lot of money into modding it or maintaining it just to probably Encounter engine failure somewhere down the road Reminds of how Nissan and CVTs were a failure.

Nonetheless I hope the new Z has somewhat improved upon these issues and the VR30DDTT can probably get a second generation to improve upon unless this is one of the last of the combustible engines that Nissan will make since the industry is moving towards EV and hybrids.

· Registered
116 Posts
True but I look back to the very first and bulletproof VQ engine ever which was the VQ30DE. That’s the engine for me that laid the foundation for Nissan and the next generation of engines.
You beat me to this by 5 minutes!!

I had a first year VQ30DE in my 95 Maxima and I sold it with 240,000 miles on it.
In that time, I replaced spark plugs, upper intake gasket and a knock sensor.

I suspect Nissan needed to do major cost cutting on the VR30 in design, assembly and/or testing.
Too bad, I really hoped my next car would be a Q60 or Z.

· Premium Member
904 Posts
You beat me to this by 5 minutes!!

I had a first year VQ30DE in my 95 Maxima and I sold it with 240,000 miles on it.
In that time, I replaced spark plugs, upper intake gasket and a knock sensor.

I suspect Nissan needed to do major cost cutting on the VR30 in design, assembly and/or testing.
Too bad, I really hoped my next car would be a Q60 or Z.
Yeah bro I had my 97 Nissan Maxima with the VQ30DE as well original engine and transmission and it had 400,000 miles and was Still running like it was new. Best reliable and robust car ever.

Like you said they might have done some cost cutting with the VR30. But in 95 with VQ30DE they went all out as Nissan was in financial trouble and ended up making one of the most legendary engine series of all time the VQ V6 Platform.

· Registered
7,054 Posts

Yeah bro I had my 97 Nissan Maxima with the VQ30DE as well original engine and transmission and it had 400,000 miles and was Still running like it was new. Best reliable and robust car ever.

Like you said they might have done some cost cutting with the VR30. But in 95 with VQ30DE they went all out as Nissan was in financial trouble and ended up making one of the most legendary engine series of all time the VQ V6 Platform.
I mean the belt tensioner alignment issue has long since been resolved at this point, haven't seen a report of a belt slip in months and in terms of issues for a brand new engine platform its a pretty minor issue all things considered.

As for the VQ30DE despite your very positive experience with it the motor had even more issues than the VQ35, most engines got half the many miles on them and saw frequent cam position sensor issues, overheating, head gasket issues etc. It's also worth keeping in mind while Nissan ran into money issues in the 90s development of the VQ family started in the late 80s when Nissan still had plenty of cash and the company was arguably at their best from a R&D and manufacturing perspective.

That said there was undoubtedly a lot of cost cutting at Nissan, they were after all ran by the Cost Cutter himself Ghosn for the better part of 2 decades. I think the Porous block is just an unfortunate timing, Nissan is one of the most experienced with Aluminum engine castings but they aren't immune to making a mistake. The turbos are something Nissan doesn't do too often and most automakers have issues with them as Blitz pointed out, heck Nissan even went with an older and supposedly reliable turbo but they are still having issues. So not clear if that's an issue with the supplier (Garret) or if they are running the turbo's outside the recommended spec that garret laid out.

But mostly just pointing out the above because we all tend to look at the past with rose coloured glasses. lol
Go buy a G and save yourself 10k and weeks of time if you want a VQ powered car. Also, I simply don't believe at this point any used VQ you buy hasn't been beat on.
I mean you end up with the same issues, you are getting a VQ35-37 with over 100K miles in most cases, as you pointed out most of them abused and likely would have troubles making it another 100K miles. And while the engine is fine for a couple of years most are going to need a couple grand in work to get them back in decent shape.

If you can get a CPO VR30 I think its just fine.

Reactions: blanc600

· Registered
764 Posts
I mean you end up with the same issues, you are getting a VQ35-37 with over 100K miles in most cases, as you pointed out most of them abused and likely would have troubles making it another 100K miles. And while the engine is fine for a couple of years most are going to need a couple grand in work to get them back in decent shape.

I more meant if you have a VR30 Q I'd stick with that based off ease of building power, possible high swap costs if things don't work correct ect. Also, at least by me, even the VQ powered Q's are driven harder and more aggressive for some reason, so slightly biased based off that.

I'd love another G though, I spend all too much time trying to rationalize building a salvage G, but I know it'd become a money pit fast lmao. My first post was way too harshly worded looking back.

· Premium Member
904 Posts
I mean the belt tensioner alignment issue has long since been resolved at this point, haven't seen a report of a belt slip in months and in terms of issues for a brand new engine platform its a pretty minor issue all things considered.

As for the VQ30DE despite your very positive experience with it the motor had even more issues than the VQ35, most engines got half the many miles on them and saw frequent cam position sensor issues, overheating, head gasket issues etc. It's also worth keeping in mind while Nissan ran into money issues in the 90s development of the VQ family started in the late 80s when Nissan still had plenty of cash and the company was arguably at their best from a R&D and manufacturing perspective.

That said there was undoubtedly a lot of cost cutting at Nissan, they were after all ran by the Cost Cutter himself Ghosn for the better part of 2 decades. I think the Porous block is just an unfortunate timing, Nissan is one of the most experienced with Aluminum engine castings but they aren't immune to making a mistake. The turbos are something Nissan doesn't do too often and most automakers have issues with them as Blitz pointed out, heck Nissan even went with an older and supposedly reliable turbo but they are still having issues. So not clear if that's an issue with the supplier (Garret) or if they are running the turbo's outside the recommended spec that garret laid out.

But mostly just pointing out the above because we all tend to look at the past with rose coloured glasses. lol

Overheating and Headgasket issues? In 10 years on the Maxima forums and for the 4th gen VQ30DE engine, I have rarely ever heard of any issues with the headgasket or overheating for that matter. Yes I will say that after 200,000 miles or so there is a slight possibility that you can develop Head gasket issues if you don’t properly maintain it but that was never a norm for the VQ30DE nor was overheating. If you talk to any Maxima owners, they regard the VQ30DE as one of the most reliable engines in that series. Now the VQ35DE in the maxima and had its fair share of issues forsure.

· Registered
7,054 Posts
Overheating and Headgasket issues? In 10 years on the Maxima forums and for the 4th gen VQ30DE engine, I have rarely ever heard of any issues with the headgasket or overhearing for that matter. Yes I will say that after 200,000 miles or so there is a slight possibility that tou can develop Head gasket issues if you don’t properly maintain it but that was never a norm for the VQ30DE nor was overheating. If you talk to any Maxima owners, they regard the VQ30DE as one of the most reliable engines in that series. Now the VQ35DE in the maxima and had its fair share of issues forsure.
Just what I saw skimming some TSB and NHST reports, granted that's not always the entire story and ones experience can be vastly different than another. The dash cracking issue on early 2000s Nissans was much super common down south was mostly a non-issue up here in Canada because it was so much cooler. Vice versa the floorboards rusting out was a problem up here because of snow/ice clogging the drain holes in the frame but not a big issue in the US.

But most forum members treat their car better than the average driver and sadly a properly maintained car isn't the case for vast majority of owners. :(

Reactions: Lucky93

· Registered
7,054 Posts
I more meant if you have a VR30 Q I'd stick with that based off ease of building power, possible high swap costs if things don't work correct ect. Also, at least by me, even the VQ powered Q's are driven harder and more aggressive for some reason, so slightly biased based off that.

I'd love another G though, I spend all too much time trying to rationalize building a salvage G, but I know it'd become a money pit fast lmao. My first post was way too harshly worded looking back.
That's fair, honestly I don't think turning an old G into a project car is that expensive just need to be patient and find one that's in reasonable shape. I doubt you'd find a decent salvage though, they are almost always picked clean right away for parts. lol

· Registered
1,556 Posts
True but I look back to the very first and bulletproof VQ engine ever which was the VQ30DE. That’s the engine for me that laid the foundation for Nissan and the next generation of engines. Yes the initial VQ35DE in 2002 and had issues with oil burning and valve seals and etc.

But some of the most common issues like the drive belt and porus block failure which causes the engine to fail under warranty for some and out of warranty for other or even prematurely you can say is just a little sad. Our cars don’t have the best resale value in the world and yet when we pour lot of money into modding it or maintaining it just to probably Encounter engine failure somewhere down the road Reminds of how Nissan and CVTs were a failure.

Nonetheless I hope the new Z has somewhat improved upon these issues and the VR30DDTT can probably get a second generation to improve upon unless this is one of the last of the combustible engines that Nissan will make since the industry is moving towards EV and hybrids.
youre going to have to realize that way back in 1994, that engine didnt even make 200hp. even in top form, the VQ30 never made much than about 225hp/200tq. they were not exactly engines that were stressed much. also, as was pointed out previously, the engine was designed at a time right before japan's economy tanked. at least, it was in the design phase. engineering a low hp, low stress V6 isnt that difficult. the engines lasted a long time because they werent making any power worth mentioning.

even if you wanted to go a step further and compare the VQ30DETT against the VR30, the low boost VR30 DEMOLISHES the VQ30 in stock form. the VQ30DETT is lucky to make 250WHP/WTQ on a dyno. the VR30 is significantly more complex and more powerful in comparison. more complex things tend to break more, thats just how it is.

the serpentine belt tsb has been blown WAY out of proportion. weak turbos are a fault of garrett more than infiniti. garret quality dropped off sometime in 2010 when production/QA left our soil. the mgt1446 has a long history of failure, as the 1.8t VW guys. regarding porous blocks, talk to GM. theyll pretend to tell you the northstar engine of old and the past/recent crop of LS have no problems at all, big lie lol. honda V6s in the early 2000s had porous blocks, it was EXTREMELY common. a tsb was released with instructions to use jb weld (yes, really). all mfgs have issues from time to time. its unfortunate but thats just how it goes.

Reactions: PanicRev
1 - 20 of 33 Posts