Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Premium Member
913 Posts
youre going to have to realize that way back in 1994, that engine didnt even make 200hp. even in top form, the VQ30 never made much than about 225hp/200tq. they were not exactly engines that were stressed much. also, as was pointed out previously, the engine was designed at a time right before japan's economy tanked. at least, it was in the design phase. engineering a low hp, low stress V6 isnt that difficult. the engines lasted a long time because they werent making any power worth mentioning.

even if you wanted to go a step further and compare the VQ30DETT against the VR30, the low boost VR30 DEMOLISHES the VQ30 in stock form. the VQ30DETT is lucky to make 250WHP/WTQ on a dyno. the VR30 is significantly more complex and more powerful in comparison. more complex things tend to break more, thats just how it is.

the serpentine belt tsb has been blown WAY out of proportion. weak turbos are a fault of garrett more than infiniti. garret quality dropped off sometime in 2010 when production/QA left our soil. the mgt1446 has a long history of failure, as the 1.8t VW guys. regarding porous blocks, talk to GM. theyll pretend to tell you the northstar engine of old and the past/recent crop of LS have no problems at all, big lie lol. honda V6s in the early 2000s had porous blocks, it was EXTREMELY common. a tsb was released with instructions to use jb weld (yes, really). all mfgs have issues from time to time. its unfortunate but thats just how it goes.
Hmm okay then, would you say that it’s fair to compare it to the VR38DETT in this regard? A powerful and fairly robust engine that has way more power stock then VR30DDTT which people call it the baby GTR.

To me I wouldnt say it’s a fair comparison but since you mentioned the VQ30DETT I would assume its only fair to mention this robust VR38DETT.

· Premium Member
4,418 Posts
I mean the belt tensioner alignment issue has long since been resolved at this point, haven't seen a report of a belt slip in months and in terms of issues for a brand new engine platform its a pretty minor issue all things considered.

As for the VQ30DE despite your very positive experience with it the motor had even more issues than the VQ35, most engines got half the many miles on them and saw frequent cam position sensor issues, overheating, head gasket issues etc. It's also worth keeping in mind while Nissan ran into money issues in the 90s development of the VQ family started in the late 80s when Nissan still had plenty of cash and the company was arguably at their best from a R&D and manufacturing perspective.

That said there was undoubtedly a lot of cost cutting at Nissan, they were after all ran by the Cost Cutter himself Ghosn for the better part of 2 decades. I think the Porous block is just an unfortunate timing, Nissan is one of the most experienced with Aluminum engine castings but they aren't immune to making a mistake. The turbos are something Nissan doesn't do too often and most automakers have issues with them as Blitz pointed out, heck Nissan even went with an older and supposedly reliable turbo but they are still having issues. So not clear if that's an issue with the supplier (Garret) or if they are running the turbo's outside the recommended spec that garret laid out.

But mostly just pointing out the above because we all tend to look at the past with rose coloured glasses. lol

I mean you end up with the same issues, you are getting a VQ35-37 with over 100K miles in most cases, as you pointed out most of them abused and likely would have troubles making it another 100K miles. And while the engine is fine for a couple of years most are going to need a couple grand in work to get them back in decent shape.

If you can get a CPO VR30 I think its just fine.
I havent had a belt issue in years.

I change that damń belt and tensioner every 15k miles.

· Registered
7,059 Posts
Hmm okay then, would you say that it’s fair to compare it to the VR38DETT in this regard? A powerful and fairly robust engine that has way more power stock then VR30DDTT which people call it the baby GTR.

To me I wouldnt say it’s a fair comparison but since you mentioned the VQ30DETT I would assume its only fair to mention this robust VR38DETT.
Eh the VR30 is more or less a brand new engine from the ground up that features a lot of technology Nissan had developed between 2008-2015 that wasn't included in the VQ37HR or VR38DTT despite the VR30 belonging to the same family as the GT-R. Not to say it doesn't have shared parts or design elements with the VQ37 and VR38 but the fuel system, block design, turbo mounting, bore/stroke, pistons, connection rods and cooling system are all different from what I can recall off the top of my heads.

Honestly it can be pretty tough to judge even the same engine if its been on sale for long enough, the VQ35DE from 2002 had something like 70% new parts by 2015 due to all the revisions over the years. Granted its overall structure and design was mostly the same.

I havent had a belt issue in years.

I change that damń belt and tensioner every 15k miles.
Aye the OEM belt quality in 2016-17 combined with tensioner alignment issue compounding the issue was the cause, I don't think anyone who swapped belts ran into the issue after the fact... Granted they probably had an alignment done if one was needed when swapping the belt to begin with. lol

Still can't blame ya for checking on that regularly!

· Registered
1,567 Posts

...no? the VR30 and VR38 may share the VR nomenclature but theyre barely related otherwise. on top of that, the VR38 is over 20% larger in displacement and since its installed in a halo sports car, received extra development in regards to future power production and durability. thats why it started out at 480hp and has grown to 710hp. the VQ30DET, on the other hand, is the same displacement and general design architecture as the VR30. the gains for the VR30 are directly from technology learned and implemented over the course of the last 30 years.

also, people are pretty dumb overall. GT-R is a vehicle, not an engine. the only thing a Q50 has in common with the GTR is (neutered) AWD and that the engine is turbo'd, thats it. personally, i think its an insult to the GT-R to call a Q50 RS a baby GT-R. the two cars are vastly different in every conceivable way except for AWD and twin turbos. that doesnt mean i think the Q50 is bad, not by a long shot, its just not anything remotely close a GT-R.

• Love
Reactions: Lucky93

· Premium Member
913 Posts
...no? the VR30 and VR38 may share the VR nomenclature but theyre barely related otherwise. on top of that, the VR38 is over 20% larger in displacement and since its installed in a halo sports car, received extra development in regards to future power production and durability. thats why it started out at 480hp and has grown to 710hp. the VQ30DET, on the other hand, is the same displacement and general design architecture as the VR30. the gains for the VR30 are directly from technology learned and implemented over the course of the last 30 years.

also, people are pretty dumb overall. GT-R is a vehicle, not an engine. the only thing a Q50 has in common with the GTR is (neutered) AWD and that the engine is turbo'd, thats it. personally, i think its an insult to the GT-R to call a Q50 RS a baby GT-R. the two cars are vastly different in every conceivable way except for AWD and twin turbos. that doesnt mean i think the Q50 is bad, not by a long shot, its just not anything remotely close a GT-R.
Thanks bro and im happy to know you share the same sentiments when people call the Q50 a baby GTR. I mean we dont need to degrade the GTR like that as its legend in its own rights and class. Yes and lastly with all advancements over the year that have been implemented into the VR30, I would just say that due to it being a turbo and Direct Injection and being the first in that regard from nissan in a production car is why some many problems are there to begin with. These issues have well been around for many other manufactures like BMW, Audi or Mercerdes but not so much for nissan because the VR30 was a first to be used in a daily car. Now could some of the stock internals be stronger or more durable, one could only wonder if thats the case. But like I said if you go to other forums, alot of people say more positive things about the VR30 in comparison to its German engine counterparts.

· Registered
1,567 Posts
overall, the VR30 is significantly more reliable compared to ze german's cars, in my opinion. there is a reason the saying "down own a bmw/audi/vw/mercedes out of warranty". porsche gets a pass because their cars are pretty reliable for the most part. at least, far more so than the other german brands.

· Super Moderator
4,224 Posts
there is a reason the saying "down own a bmw/audi/vw/mercedes out of warranty".
Funny, that's the same thought I had from the turbo issue with my VR30 in November - 4 days before the Powertrain Warranty timed-out. Phew!

· Registered
1,567 Posts
Yep, but the difference is the German cars have a long, stories history of failure across many platforms vs a company who was gutted and forced to use the same platform for FOURTEEN different models of vehicles. Ghosn's approach of quantity at any price lead the Nissan falling apart. That, and siphoning money to pay for huge real estate properties, lol.

· Registered
12 Posts
Back to the OP- there's NO way to expect a simple engine swap with modern cars. The electronic architecture is too complex for a DIY engine change, and while mechanically it could be done, the engine will never run trouble free.

· Super Moderator
4,224 Posts
Back to the OP-
I'm going to bet the OP is a spammer, but the forum has turned the spam into legit ham-on-the-bone... :geek:

Reactions: jodedor

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,367 Posts
I drove a G37x for 5 years and now my Q50 for another 5 years. No way would I go back.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts