Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fuel dilution like other members have mentioned, not sure what silver is.

the only wierd thing this time when i did oc, is that about 5/8 qt of oil disappeared,there was a thread from last summer regarding infiniti advised to add half more qt to our engine, i added that amount after driven about 1294miles from oc last year, then when i did oc this time after driven 3566 miles, the old oil was about 1/4 below full line of a mobil1 5qt jar, had about 1/3 of oil in occ. i dont think i see any leaks, my best guess is maybe 0w20 was too thin so got burnt, i occasionally smell something burnt while wot,never overheat. i’ll monitor my oil level every 1k, i think i might need to give 5w30 another try next time.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Wow 3 hours and no debate yet on 5W30 vs 0W20 oil !
Ok, I'll start - with the DI and fuel dilution, after 4,860 miles, the Mobil 0W20 cSt viscosity is 6.38 cSt, at the bottom of the range for 0W20 oil of 6.0-9.4 cSt. When I compare one of my UOAs with Valvoline Modern Engine 5W30 @ 4,392 miles, the cSt was 8.54 cSt, with a range for 5W30 of 7.9-11.3 cSt.

So in essence, the 5W30 w/fuel dilution and mileage drops into the 0W20 viscosity range.

Therefore, would you rather start off at a higher viscosity and end the OCI with what Infiniti intended with their 0W20 recommendation, or start off thin and hope that later in the OCI (hopefully not 10k miles!) the engine survives getting lubricated with 2-stroke oil??? Ok, j/k, but I hope you see my point. Just following the (oil) science. :geek:

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
995 Posts
Maybe infiniti would recommend 0w-15 but suggest 0w-20 because of expected dilution. I’d hope the engineers designing the engine where smart enough to account for something so simple.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Maybe infiniti would recommend 0w-15 but suggest 0w-20 because of expected dilution. I’d hope the engineers designing the engine where smart enough to account for something so simple.
I suspect an engineers got pressed in a meeting close to release and said yes to the folks up-stairs that 0W20 would work so they could hit EPA or Emission targets,
the increase in total Oil capacity would allow a 0W20 weight oil to better handle the 10,000 Mile change intervals listed in the owners manual.

Personally I'd run 5W or 0W30 oil and run the 5-7K change internval similar to Iridium, these engines run hot from the factory and a bit of extra
protection goes a long way over the life of an engine.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I suspect an engineers got pressed in a meeting close to release and said yes to the folks up-stairs that 0W20 would work so they could hit EPA or Emission targets,
the increase in total Oil capacity would allow a 0W20 weight oil to better handle the 10,000 Mile change intervals listed in the owners manual.

Personally I'd run 5W or 0W30 oil and run the 5-7K change internval similar to Iridium, these engines run hot from the factory and a bit of extra
0W-30 for sure is what I would run too. Castrol Edge 0W-30 European formula would be the best option for that choice.

·
Premium Member
'17 SS
515 Posts
Does anyone here run Rotella? I have met some guys that swear by it.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
995 Posts

They run pretty cool from factory. This isn't a VQ its a VR.

Why didn't they get pressured on the hybrid, 2.0T, and diesel? but they only got pressured on the most "performance" based engine they offer?

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
995 Posts
0W-30 for sure is what I would run too. Castrol Edge 0W-30 European formula would be the best option for that choice.
I would hope you are following owners manual and running 5w-30 with your hybrid.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
995 Posts
Im running 0W-40 as theres a sticker under the hood that say use only 0W-40 and change your oil 9,000 miles or for performance driving every 3,000 miles.
If that’s what weight your owners manual says then thats what you should do. You should also not go more than 6 months without changing regardless of mileage or driving.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
158 Posts
If that’s what weight your owners manual says then thats what you should do. You should also not go more than 6 months without changing regardless of mileage or driving.
I change it every 6,000 miles or sometimes 7,500 but within three months or so. But the owners manual for the 3.0T and Redsport says 5W-30 is also suitable which is why I would run 0W-30 in there for the extra little thickness and protection. It might help him reduce some of the silver finding in his oil analysis. Also the owners manual onlyhas the recommended oil for people that do basic normal driving and that oil 0W-20 is used only for fuel economy purposes not for performance oriented or someone thats going to be pushing the engine on a daily. So like the chart states if you live temperature above -30 than use 0W-30 or even 5W-30.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
995 Posts
I change it every 6,000 miles or sometimes 7,500 but within three months or so. But the owners manual for the 3.0T and Redsport says 5W-30 is also suitable which is why I would run 0W-30 in there for the extra little thickness and protection. It might help him reduce some of the silver finding in his oil analysis. Also the owners manual onlyhas the recommended oil for people that do basic normal driving and that oil 0W-20 is used only for fuel economy purposes not for performance oriented or someone thats going to be pushing the engine on a daily. So like the chart states if you live temperature above -30 than use 0W-30 or even 5W-30. View attachment 99741
This has been discussed in nauseam on other threads, some very recently you can go read. That is a misinterpretation if you read the entire manual. It was also removed as an inferior alternative sometime between 2018-19 in the manuals.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
They run pretty cool from factory. This isn't a VQ its a VR.

Why didn't they get pressured on the hybrid, 2.0T, and diesel? but they only got pressured on the most "performance" based engine they offer?
I was speaking specifically of the VR30 engine and no these engines absolutely run hot, it may be a lower displacement than its predecessor
but turbos generate an absurd amount of heat and the engine is paired with an inadequate cooling solution..

If the VR30 ran cooler then heat soak wouldn't be such a prevalent issue with these motors.

As for the 2.0T engine it is of Mercedes design and both it and the Diesel (Which I think is produced/shared by Reanult) were already offered in other cars
prior to the Q50/60 so one could be argued those adjustments were already made prior to being selected for the Q platform.

The VR30 was (and is) Infinitis bread and butter for these cars terms of sales and was a brand new engine
in 2016 so marketing and executives will absolutely want it to provide the best numbers when it hit the market.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
995 Posts
I was speaking specifically of the VR30 engine and no these engines absolutely run hot, it may be a lower displacement than its predecessor
but turbos generate an absurd amount of heat and the engine is paired with an inadequate cooling solution..

If the VR30 ran cooler then heat soak wouldn't be such a prevalent issue with these motors.

As for the 2.0T engine it is of Mercedes design and both it and the Diesel (Which I think is produced/shared by Reanult) were already offered in other cars
prior to the Q50/60 so one could be argued those adjustments were already made prior to being selected for the Q platform.

The VR30 was (and is) Infinitis bread and butter for these cars terms of sales and was a brand new engine
in 2016 so marketing and executives will absolutely want it to provide the best numbers when it hit the market.
from personal experience, as well as numerous accounts on this forum, it runs pretty cools.

Heat soak in the intercooler system is completely different than oil and coolant temps. Yes it can have a very minimal impact on those from thermodynamic heat transfer but it is a non issue/concern for most. Overall oil and coolant temps are very low, in many cases for many people it is actually too low. There was even a recent thread on this.

Switching from 0w-20 to 5w-30 according to a study done on this, would not even impact fuel efficiency enough to be able to change the listed/advertised fuel efficiency/mpg. It was about a 1/4mpg difference.

They also listed 5w-30 as an inferior alternative but still technically useable substitute, but then went out of their way to deliberately remove this from later either 2018+ or 2019+ owners manual, makes no sense to remove it if its already listed, They could have just as easily have kept in in there essentially having their cake and eating it too so to speak. Unless they had concerns about the weight being too heavy and actually causing excessive wear in which case they decided it was worth removing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
from personal experience, as well as numerous accounts on this forum, it runs pretty cools.

Heat soak in the intercooler system is completely different than oil and coolant temps. Yes it can have a very minimal impact on those from thermodynamic heat transfer but it is a non issue/concern for most. Overall oil and coolant temps are very low, in many cases for many people it is actually too low. There was even a recent thread on this.

Switching from 0w-20 to 5w-30 according to a study done on this, would not even impact fuel efficiency enough to be able to change the listed/advertised fuel efficiency/mpg. It was about a 1/4mpg difference.

They also listed 5w-30 as an inferior alternative but still technically useable substitute, but then went out of their way to deliberately remove this from later either 2018+ or 2019+ owners manual, makes no sense to remove it if its already listed, They could have just as easily have kept in in there essentially having their cake and eating it too so to speak. Unless they had concerns about the weight being too heavy and actually causing excessive wear in which case they decided it was worth removing.
Well in Europe its always been different oil recommendations especially in Germany where they recommend Castrol 5W-30 or 0W-30. Even my Nissan Maxima 1997 which took 5W-30 in the USA, but in Germany same car was recommended to only use 5W-40. Also and its colder over there compared to the states. But the reason for this is that they prefer engine protection over fuel economy

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Unless they had concerns about the weight being too heavy and actually causing excessive wear in which case they decided it was worth removing.
Since Infiniti has been issues with turbo oil seal leakage, running a thinner, lower viscosity oil (0W20) will generate lower oil pressure vs 5W30, with all other conditions being equal. A 5W30 oil will exert slightly more oil pressure on seal surfaces, and maybe that's one plausible concern of the powertrain engineers for turbo reliability?

That said, if you trade off slightly higher seal pressure vs lower viscosity and film strength, I'd prefer a slightly higher viscosity to provide the film strength in the crank and rod bearings, especially with my tuned VR30 producing +500 WTQ in the 3.5-4k rpm range, along with the detrimental fore-mentioned fuel dilution. The last thing I want is a wiped rod-end bearing...

Reactions: Lucky93

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Personal driving experiences is a pretty massive variable as a commutes can be wildly different from person to person, someone who has a 10 minute drive under light load may not even hit the targeted operating temperature for fluids that time. Meanwhile someone who puts the same load on the engine for 20 minutes would likely average 20-30F higher temperatures those are
really all subjective results.

Let me as you a question if these motors really ran as cool as you suggest then why would Infiniti increase the oil capacity?

In regards to Heat Soak at least for the VR30 it's specifically because the radiator and coolant isn't capable of dissipating heat from the engine fast enough under moderate-heavy load and a result the engine has timing pulled to cool itself back down and prevent various issues such as engine-knock, over-heating etc.. This is not the result of charge temps being too high.

The coolant runs directly through channels throughout the engine block around the pistons because contrary to your own statement Aluminum is an excellent thermal conductor. So I have no idea what you mean when you say they are poor at transferring heat when its one of the single best materials at doing so.

I'd agree the Fuel economy impact is barley noticeable for the average driver but Fleet MPG is calculated by the EPA in very controlled scenarios and even earning
back a single MPG on a line of cars could save Nissan/Infiniti potentially tens of thousands in Government rebates/credit. They also get the added benefit of better
numbers for magazines who test these cars so there is a justification for automakers to do that.

As for the change between MY? The wording in pretty much identical from what I see they just removed the below picture. Infiniti also pretty clearly states " We (INFINITI) recommends the use of an energy conserving oil in order to improve fuel economy." so they are pretty up-front on why they chose 0W20 even in their own documentation.

Lastly I'd say its pretty silly to declare 5W30 as better or worse than 0W20 when they are effectively the same oil but formulated to behave better or worse based on climate and driving style,
I mean look at the below viscosity comparison from Mobil 1 with identical type of oil aside from weight. Nearly a 20% change in viscosity when the engine is around 100C which is probably medium-load scenarios.

That's a pretty massive difference and even more critical to the majority of folks here who have a tune or drive more aggressively
whos cars are already operating outside of stock specifications.

0W20
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 C, mm2/s, ASTM D4458.8
5W30
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 C, mm2/s, ASTM D44511.1

Reactions: u1arunit

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
995 Posts
Personal driving experiences is a pretty massive variable as a commutes can be wildly different from person to person, someone who has a 10 minute drive under light load may not even hit the targeted operating temperature for fluids that time. Meanwhile someone who puts the same load on the engine for 20 minutes would likely average 20-30F higher temperatures those are
really all subjective results.
I guarantee I drive my car harder and abuse it more than anyone who doesn't track, but also like I said an entire thread on the topic and people with 20m-1h commutes couldn't even get oil temp up to 160F. You would need some wide spread issue that is not present to claim it runs "hot"

Let me as you a question if these motors really ran as cool as you suggest then why would Infiniti increase the oil capacity?
I doubt it had anything to do with heat

In regards to Heat Soak at least for the VR30 it's specifically because the radiator and coolant isn't capable of dissipating heat from the engine fast enough under moderate-heavy load and a result the engine has timing pulled to cool itself back down and prevent various issues such as engine-knock, over-heating etc.. This is not the result of charge temps being too high.
Again what heat soak? This isn't a VQ it doesn't run hot. On a track I'm sure it will, most cars will... , but not so much on the streets, at least I haven't seen many posts at all that they have, many to the contrary though, doing 10 back to back to back to back mix of 0-60,0-90, 40-90, 60-120 WOT runs in under 5 minutes time after oil was fully warmed up, I do this on a frequent basis even in 70F+ weather. Oil and coolant was not excessively high or much of a concern. Something I constantly watch and monitor whenever I drive. Have yet to hit any excessively high or too "hot" of temps.

The coolant runs directly through channels throughout the engine block around the pistons because contrary to your own statement Aluminum is an excellent thermal conductor. So I have no idea what you mean when you say they are poor at transferring heat when its one of the single best materials at doing so.
Where in my post did I say aluminum was bad conductor?
imbedded

1 - 20 of 67 Posts