Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
my oil cooler is 1/3rd the size/capacity of the oem cooler and with zero airflow going to it (why? because I do not want to overcool it)
I am also making almost double stock non rs boost levels (16+ with little taper like most).
I also have so much random crap in front of my HE and radiator it doesn't get much airflow either.

People drive their car however they like and if someone drives it harder good for them, but the manufactures are not designing the car with the intent of it being driving how I do I can guarantee that. I have stress tested the car plenty was my entire point, but then I also referenced a thread of several other individuals having over cooling issues. So not just my personal account, and then the following post in this thread another user essentially repeated my sentiments with his personal account.

My car was stock at one point, and several stages there after, It did not start out with every mod on day one... However I have had oil and coolant temps monitored since day one with my scangauge and then later JB4. Obviously FBO + JB4 at +7psi map 6 (with little taper) is going to generate a lot more heat over stock, any car car would though. However stock is a different story.

I said 70F+ (not 70F tops) which is still substantially higher than the average temperature year round in any state. Obviously I've seen much higher temps than just 70F hence the + at the end.

but again heat soak in the intercooler system is entirely different than oil and coolant temps. Which this entire thing has been about oil temps and oil weights.

What relevance does heat exchanger temps have to do? you think even high 150F (much higher than I've sever seen) intercooler fluid temps are heat soaking warmer 190F oil temps? how is something colder warming up something hotter?

I never argued anything about the intercooler/heat exchanger not heat soaking. How is that related to the oil temps though... which is the entire context of this argument/discussion?

Heat exchanger/intercooler is a different completely unrelated story that has little to nothing to do with oil temps, or oil weights.
Sure obviously the heat exchanger has heat soak 100% agreed, but has nothing to do with oil though.
So I have no idea why you brought up heat exchanger heat soak in the first place.

The oil and coolant temps in this car run on the colder side. period. the end.
Are you kidding me???? Automakers don't tune their cars around how they think people drive them? Have you never heard of the sports car segment?
Cars are designed with the understanding of how customers treat them and is 100% taken into consideration during the design phase.

You don't build a class leading twin turbo 6 Cylinder engine with massive tuning potential, put it in a sports car chassis and then expect everyone to putt around like old people.

An Oil cooler 1/3 the size of your own when the 2017 Premium and Lux models didn't get one according to InfinitiParts??? And even if the site is wrong (Which is possible) It also flies in the face of all logic for Infiniti to include a oil cooler if these oil temps really don't run that hot it would simply be adding cost/complexity to install a cooler of that size if one that is 1/3 the size/capacity was capable of getting the job done!

Infiniti would have instead used a smaller one or dropped it all-together and probably recommended 5W30 as the base oil because it would have had similar viscosity
and run at slightly higher temperatures to achieve the same efficiency.

Yes you said 70F+..... Which means the range could be anywhere from 71F to 9,000F, you also said " I do this on a frequent basis even in 70F+ weather. " which
in the context of the sentence would imply 70F is a notably higher temperature then what you usually deal with and because I'm pretty sure you don't drive on
the surface of the Sun.

If your going to throw around numbers at least be clear what range your operating within, and while yes this thread in general has been about oil weights we have never been talking about oil temps specifically but in broader terms... So if the VR30 needs to pull power in order to compensate for higher temperatures it BY DEFEINTION RUNS HOT because whatever
cooling system is responsible for it isn't able to compensate.

That is why I continue to bring up the Heat Exchangers it is the single biggest limiting factor in the VR30 cooling system. The longevity and how a car performs
is determined by more than just the oil temperature.

Reactions: Wheels43

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,034 Posts
Are you kidding me???? Automakers don't tune their cars around how they think people drive them? Have you never heard of the sports car segment?
Cars are designed with the understanding of how customers treat them and is 100% taken into consideration during the design phase.

You don't build a class leading twin turbo 6 Cylinder engine with massive tuning potential, put it in a sports car chassis and then expect everyone to putt around like old people.

An Oil cooler 1/3 the size of your own when the 2017 Premium and Lux models didn't get one according to InfinitiParts??? And even if the site is wrong (Which is possible) It also flies in the face of all logic for Infiniti to include a oil cooler if these oil temps really don't run that hot it would simply be adding cost/complexity to install a cooler of that size if one that is 1/3 the size/capacity was capable of getting the job done!

View attachment 99811

Infiniti would have instead used a smaller one or dropped it all-together and probably recommended 5W30 as the base oil because it would have had similar viscosity
and run at slightly higher temperatures to achieve the same efficiency.

Yes you said 70F+..... Which means the range could be anywhere from 71F to 9,000F, you also said " I do this on a frequent basis even in 70F+ weather. " which
in the context of the sentence would imply 70F is a notably higher temperature then what you usually deal with and because I'm pretty sure you don't drive on
the surface of the Sun.

If your going to throw around numbers at least be clear what range your operating within, and while yes this thread in general has been about oil weights we have never been talking about oil temps specifically but in broader terms... So if the VR30 needs to pull power in order to compensate for higher temperatures it BY DEFEINTION RUNS HOT because whatever
cooling system is responsible for it isn't able to compensate.

That is why I continue to bring up the Heat Exchangers it is the single biggest limiting factor in the VR30 cooling system. The longevity and how a car performs
is determined by more than just the oil temperature.
So they anticipate people to do a multi gear WOT pull on average at least once every 1 mile driven? Lol of course not. There is a standard range in what is considered normal anticipated driving.

Red sport/silver sport have an oem “real” oil cooler.

And again my car is far from stock power. And generating way more heat than stock

like I said 70F is well above yearly avg temps anywhere. No its not texas summertime, its also not Colorado winter. It’s a pretty “standard” temperature. The point is I’m not doing 10 back to back to back WOT pulls in -20F weather and claiming no overheating issues. 70-80F isn’t cold by any means. The point is, it is plenty of pulls, in a short enough timeframe, and in hot enough weather to be a more than adequate stress test to determine if it runs “hot” or not. Which it does not.

I think you are trying to knit pick this and attempting to get away from the original post you quoted because you realize by now this cars oil and coolant runs on the cooler side for most people and so you where mistaken.

Heat exchanger/intercooler temp has almost nothing to do with oil temp which was the entire discussion, and the context of how “hot” or “cold” it runs. We where discussing oil weight. And you went off on an entirely different unrelated subject.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,034 Posts
Maybe infiniti would recommend 0w-15 but suggest 0w-20 because of expected dilution. I’d hope the engineers designing the engine where smart enough to account for something so simple.
I suspect an engineers got pressed in a meeting close to release and said yes to the folks up-stairs that 0W20 would work so they could hit EPA or Emission targets,
the increase in total Oil capacity would allow a 0W20 weight oil to better handle the 10,000 Mile change intervals listed in the owners manual.

Personally I'd run 5W or 0W30 oil and run the 5-7K change internval similar to Iridium, these engines run hot from the factory and a bit of extra
protection goes a long way over the life of an engine.
In case you needed a refresher.... not sure how you are relating intercooler/heat exchanger temps to oil temps? And essentially saying because intercooler/heater changer fluid is “hot” (despite still being substantially cooler than oil temps) you need a heavier weight oil to compensate, despite oil temps being on the cooler side, with many people experiencing over cooling issues?

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
So in other news, my first blackstone oil report for the B58. And yes she runs hotter than VR30. Wonder what would the report look like after 10k+ miles now that I'm its owner.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
So in other news, my first blackstone oil report for the B58. And yes she runs hotter than VR30. Wonder what would the report look like after 10k+ miles now that I'm its owner.
What brand of oil was used?

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
In case you needed a refresher.... not sure how you are relating intercooler/heat exchanger temps to oil temps? And essentially saying because intercooler/heater changer fluid is “hot” (despite still being substantially cooler than oil temps) you need a heavier weight oil to compensate, despite oil temps being on the cooler side, with many people experiencing over cooling issues?
Are you a troll???

I recommended a thicker oil for added protection for a variety of reasons, oil dilution and long oil change intervals but
also because many run tunes and experience temperatures higher than stock.

And yes the performance of other systems like the coolant have an impact on how other systems perform.
By how much? Not clue, I doubt anyone but the Engineers behind the VR30 could say for certain.

And yes coolant temps are lower than oil temps... What is your point here? They aren't even remotely similar types of fluid, coolant
is usually a mix of 50/50 distilled water and anti-freezing properties. What is considered a healthy oil temperature
does not apply to the fluid found in the Heat Exchange.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,034 Posts
Are you a troll???

I recommended a thicker oil for added protection for a variety of reasons, oil dilution and long oil change intervals but
also because many run tunes and experience temperatures higher than stock.

And yes the performance of other systems like the coolant have an impact on how other systems perform.
By how much? Not clue, I doubt anyone but the Engineers behind the VR30 could say for certain.

And yes coolant temps are lower than oil temps... What is your point here? They aren't even remotely similar types of fluid, coolant
is usually a mix of 50/50 distilled water and anti-freezing properties. What is considered a healthy oil temperature
does not apply to the fluid found in the Heat Exchange.
What are you going on about now? Can’t seem to stay on one topic...

Oil and coolant in this car run on the colder side, far from what I’d consider “running hot”. End of story, you cant dispute this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A month after switching to 5w 30 I blew both seals in my turbos not sure if it was the oil or coincidence but I'll stick with 0w 20

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
A month after switching to 5w 30 I blew both seals in my turbos not sure if it was the oil or coincidence but I'll stick with 0w 20
I'm going to go with coincidence.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
There are no "seals" to blow in a turbocharger so there's that....

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are no "seals" to blow in a turbocharger so there's that....
If oil runs through the turbo what prevents it from entering the intake and exhaust if not a seal...

Blown turbo seal is what was written on my warranty repair paperwork.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
If oil runs through the turbo what prevents it from entering the intake and exhaust if not a seal...

Blown turbo seal is what was written on my warranty repair paperwork.
It's called a snap ring. The oil is getting past the snap rings in the CHRA and leaking into the compressor or turbine housing. This is due to crap tolerances from the oem on these turbos.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Reactions: Ddnspider
41 - 60 of 68 Posts