Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

Registered
Well opinion is fact on FB so... maybe...? LOL :LOL:
I just dug a little more and it was someone from AMS..."For stock/modified VR30s we recommended 5W30. Any VR30s on E we recommend 0W40". Does that change your opinion? 馃槺馃槅

Registered
I just dug a little more and it was someone from AMS..."For stock/modified VR30s we recommended 5W30. Any VR30s on E we recommend 0W40". Does that change your opinion? 馃槺馃槅
Oh I have no opinion. Ha ha

Registered
Oh I have no opinion. Ha ha
I'm just poking fun because some swear its 0w20 or nothing lol. Now someone from AMS, which half the people kiss their you know what, recommends 40 weight and their world may come crashing down.

Registered
2018 Luxe AWD, Stock + JB4
I already use 5W-30...This is very satisfying news to my confirmation bias!

Registered
Fuel dilution like other members have mentioned, not sure what silver is.

the only wierd thing this time when i did oc, is that about 5/8 qt of oil disappeared,there was a thread from last summer regarding infiniti advised to add half more qt to our engine, i added that amount after driven about 1294miles from oc last year, then when i did oc this time after driven 3566 miles, the old oil was about 1/4 below full line of a mobil1 5qt jar, had about 1/3 of oil in occ. i dont think i see any leaks, my best guess is maybe 0w20 was too thin so got burnt, i occasionally smell something burnt while wot,never overheat. i鈥檒l monitor my oil level every 1k, i think i might need to give 5w30 another try next time.

View attachment 99725
Just received my first Blackstone Analysis Report:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Just received my first Blackstone Analysis Report:

Nice report regarding wear metals. As I've pointed out in other threads, your UOA shows what happens to 0W20 in DI engines w/3k miles & w/fuel dilution - the centistoke viscosity is in the low range, as the fuel shears down the oil.

All other factors considered, using 5W30 at the beginning of the oil change interval with a slightly higher viscosity range gives some buffer to the measured viscosity at the end of the OCI, given its difficult to control fuel dilution, which is just based on the drive cycle(s) - short trips, extended idling, etc.

Put another way, let's just say you went 6-7.5k OCIs, that 0W20 with 1.5% fuel dilution @ 2800 miles turns into an expected 0W16 (equivalent) oil with > 2% fuel dilution.

So yeah, count me in the 5W30 club (too).

Registered
Got my first oil analysis. They were very pleased. They said my metal wear is low by comparison of other 3.0T samples they've taken. 3k miles on the oil. Less than 1% fuel dilution and I run WMI too ;) 5w30 FTW.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts