Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 Premium AWD (w/Bose & Nav)
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I got to go to the drag strip for the first day, and I'm glad to share my experience with y'all and hopefully get some answers to a few questions I had.

So me and my buddy decided to finally pull the trigger on going to our local raceways thursday test & tune so that we could get some slips on our cars. It was perfect timing too(pun intended) - because it rained earlier so there were only a few dozen cars there - so we got to just do a bunch of passes and get used to how things worked.

My Passes
I ended up making about 10 passes - but I only got slips for the last 7 because they were out of paper when I arrived for a bit. My first pass was awful because I didn't realize the countdown started as soon as both cars were stanged.

My main notable runs were beating a Mustang GT with unknown mods, losing to an Elantra N (because I rolled past stage, and the race started while I was still in reverse + he jumped it and fouled :LOL:), and then absolutely shredding the same Elantra N. I also tried to race a hot rod but he wouldn't stage so they made me run alone. I would have lost - but it would have been fun :/

My slips: (I'm the lower time in each one)
Font Rectangle Monochrome Pattern Monochrome photography

My rematch with the Elantra N:

Issues
  1. JB4 Maps: I started on trusty old Map 3, but when I got to around trying map 5, I started getting power loss towards the end. It was almost like traction control was kicking in. I suspect it was pulling timing, but like an idiot I forgot to log most of my runs on the JB4 app.
    • I also suspect it could be because I filled up at a crappier gas station near the raceway. Could have been poor quality gas.
  2. Possible JB4 issue: the car refused to shift in automatic mode towards the end. I would hear a ton of turbo spool but it would just sit at the top of the gear.
  3. The countdown behavior changed on half of my runs. Sometimes, we would both stage and the countdown would start after a couple of seconds, and sometimes the light would just turn green. It was very confusing.
  4. I have no clue if this is a 1/4 mile track. I feel like it has to be a bit shorter. I also have no clue how to read these slips so that doesn't help either. But 8.3 seconds feels a bit optimistic. Maybe it's removing reaction time or something, idk. If anyone wants to check, it's Holiday Raceway in Woodstock, AL.
  5. I do wish there were more cars there like mine to race for fun. Everyone there was either stock, or owned a purpose-built drag car. I know that's not what Test & Tune is for, but it's still fun.

Other Cars
The other cars there, of course, were insane. Saw an older Jeep wrangler with a supercharged big block V8 that was apparently on its third transmission of the month, saw a Camaro SS (that came in off a trailer) run insane times, and plenty of old drag cars - half of which did wheelies.

Oh, and I can't forget the non-Plaid Tesla that ran consistent 6.9s.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,661 Posts
Yesterday I got to go to the drag strip for the first day, and I'm glad to share my experience with y'all and hopefully get some answers to a few questions I had.

So me and my buddy decided to finally pull the trigger on going to our local raceways thursday test & tune so that we could get some slips on our cars. It was perfect timing too(pun intended) - because it rained earlier so there were only a few dozen cars there - so we got to just do a bunch of passes and get used to how things worked.

My Passes
I ended up making about 10 passes - but I only got slips for the last 7 because they were out of paper when I arrived for a bit. My first pass was awful because I didn't realize the countdown started as soon as both cars were stanged.

My main notable runs were beating a Mustang GT with unknown mods, losing to an Elantra N (because I rolled past stage, and the race started while I was still in reverse + he jumped it and fouled :LOL:), and then absolutely shredding the same Elantra N. I also tried to race a hot rod but he wouldn't stage so they made me run alone. I would have lost - but it would have been fun :/

My slips: (I'm the lower time in each one)
View attachment 109382

My rematch with the Elantra N:

Issues
  1. JB4 Maps: I started on trusty old Map 3, but when I got to around trying map 7, I started getting power loss towards the end. It was almost like traction control was kicking in. I suspect it was pulling timing, but like an idiot I forgot to log most of my runs on the JB4 app.
    • I also suspect it could be because I filled up at a crappier gas station near the raceway. Could have been poor quality gas.
  2. Possible JB4 issue: the car refused to shift in automatic mode towards the end. I would hear a ton of turbo spool but it would just sit at the top of the gear.
  3. The countdown behavior changed on half of my runs. Sometimes, we would both stage and the countdown would start after a couple of seconds, and sometimes the light would just turn green. It was very confusing.
  4. I have no clue if this is a 1/4 mile track. I feel like it has to be a bit shorter. I also have no clue how to read these slips so that doesn't help either. But 8.3 seconds feels a bit optimistic. Maybe it's removing reaction time or something, idk. If anyone wants to check, it's Holiday Raceway in Woodstock, AL.
  5. I do wish there were more cars there like mine to race for fun. Everyone there was either stock, or owned a purpose-built drag car. I know that's not what Test & Tune is for, but it's still fun.

Other Cars
The other cars there, of course, were insane. Saw an older Jeep wrangler with a supercharged big block V8 that was apparently on its third transmission of the month, saw a Camaro SS (that came in off a trailer) run insane times, and plenty of old drag cars - half of which did wheelies.

Oh, and I can't forget the non-Plaid Tesla that ran consistent 6.9s.
6.9 seconds for a non-Plaid Model S? Has to be 1/8-mile times on those slips then. Best time for a Plaid for 1/8 mile is 5.98. Your reaction times look pretty slow. You need to cut those at least in half.

Reactions: Pillboy

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,159 Posts
Issues
  1. JB4 Maps: I started on trusty old Map 3, but when I got to around trying map 7, I started getting power loss towards the end. It was almost like traction control was kicking in. I suspect it was pulling timing, but like an idiot I forgot to log most of my runs on the JB4 app.
Nick, thanks for sharing....silly man in an Elantra!

Not sure if you mis-typed, but Map 7 is the meth map - Map 5 is the plus 7 psi peak map. Might explain why the car didn't perform well on it though.
This was 1/8th mile track. You would likely be mid to high 13's on map 3 I would guess for 1/4 mile.

Reactions: nickdaria

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
6.9 seconds for a non-Plaid Model S? Has to be 1/8-mile times on those slips then. Best time for a Plaid for 1/8 mile is 5.98. Your reaction times look pretty slow. You need to cut those at least in half.
Yeah, reaction times were tough because I was looking at the other cars instead of the light. Definitely need to get some practice.

As for the slip, idk how its an 1/8 mile time (aka 660ft) when it's higher than the 1200ft. Very confusing.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nick, thanks for sharing....silly man in an Elantra!

Not sure if you mis-typed, but Map 7 is the meth map - Map 5 is the plus 7 psi peak map. Might explain why the car didn't perform well on it though.
This was 1/8th mile track. You would likely be mid to high 13's on map 3 I would guess for 1/4 mile.
You're completely right, fixed that! I was on map5. Good to know.

This track is 25m away, and my nearest 1/4 mile track is 1.5hrs. Is it better to just wait and go to the 1/4 mile track instead?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Those are 1/8-mile ET and trap speed...They definitely have a typo on the 1254 (used for 1/4-mile), where it should read 594 ft there on this 1/8-mile track.

Your times come out to ~13 flat for the quickest [8.31] to ~13.9 for the slowest [8.92] time, if it were 1/4-mile track....theoretically speaking, of course.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,159 Posts
You're completely right, fixed that! I was on map5. Good to know.
Did you data log? Car might have been pulling timing making it feel sluggish.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you data log? Car might have been pulling timing making it feel sluggish.
Only got one of them on my map4, which is a known good map for me. I'm leaving for Destin around midnight so I'll see if I can't snag another Map 5 log.

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
And yes, you will be sluggish with the stock HE.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,381 Posts
Those are 1/8-mile ET and trap speed...They definitely have a typo on the 1254 (used for 1/4-mile), where it should read 594 ft there on this 1/8-mile track.

Your times come out to ~13 flat for the quickest [8.31] to ~13.9 for the slowest [8.92] time, if it were 1/4-mile track....theoretically speaking, of course.
Yeah, if they can't manage to keep paper in the printer how can they be expected to have the proper data entered in the computer fields?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Curious how you estimate quarter mile times from 1/8 mile. Do you use the 60ft-600ft? Trying to see what my second run was. Got an 8.2xx. Don't remember exactly but my first runs after letting the car sit were much stronger than consecutive passes.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Curious how you estimate quarter mile times from 1/8 mile. Do you use the 60ft-600ft? Trying to see what my second run was. Got an 8.2xx. Don't remember exactly but my first runs after letting the car sit were much stronger than consecutive passes.
I was referencing a chart (from google, although have seen/used them in the past) and it's more to give a decent calculation rather than an absolute. It'd be hard to do that I'd think because a lot can happen from 1/8 to 1/4 mile. It would be interesting when you go to do the 1/4 mile, how close the 1/8 mile part is to the chart/calc.

It's been many years since running at the track to remember the times and details, although for some reason seemed like it compared pretty close (actual 1/4 to that 1/8).

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,761 Posts
Reaction time is irrelevant unless you are doing heads up racing. Time don’t start till you break the beams.

stock awd red sports are running 12.4-12.8s.
Map 3 should be 5.5psi peak. Non RS stock is about 8.5-10psi, so on map 3 it should be pretty close to RS levels. You are most likely suffering from heat soak after a couple runs / towards the end of a run.

To convert 1/8 ET to estimated 1/4th ET multiple 1/8 ET by 1.55-1.60. An 8.3 would be a 12.86-13.28.

you need to drop that 60ft. Where you brake stalling on launch?

Reactions: Call4God

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reaction time is irrelevant unless you are doing heads up racing. Time don’t start till you break the beams.

stock awd red sports are running 12.4-12.8s.
Map 3 should be 5.5psi peak. Non RS stock is about 8.5-10psi, so on map 3 it should be pretty close to RS levels. You are most likely suffering from heat soak after a couple runs / towards the end of a run.

To convert 1/8 ET to estimated 1/4th ET multiple 1/8 ET by 1.55-1.60. An 8.3 would be a 12.86-13.28.

you need to drop that 60ft. Where you brake stalling on launch?
I definitely think heat soak played a big role. I ran 8.2xx on one of my first crappy runs - and subsequent runs were worse unless I waited a little bit between passes.

I was brake boosting when I could, but the staging was so fast I typically only got to 1psi boost before launch.

·
Registered
2018 Signature.(sold)
2,763 Posts
Good for you Nick, you have lots of time to learn, I never did get a chance to go to the track, with the Q'S I used to go with my brother back in the old days.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
As said, reaction time is irrelevant for your specific ET/trap.

As far as the tree timing, it's the same every time but the light countdown doesn't start until both cars have tripped the 2nd beam (2nd light that lights up on both sides before the center lights start dropping). You typically want to stage as shallow as possible so as much momentum gets going before breaking the 3rd beam which starts your time.

As far as converters, WallaceRacing.com has a TON of automotive calculators you can play with to get an idea of where you'd be as well as estimates for power changes, DA changes, etc.

·
Registered
2017 Q50S
434 Posts
Glad you had fun! You were probably heat soaking for sure since you were hot lapping. Watch the temps and make sure not to push it too hard. Another thing to consider is the transmission heating up, we don't have a way to watch the temp but you can hurt it by running it hot.

Also log every pass, it can really help understand what your car was doing after the pass.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts