Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 Premium AWD (w/Bose & Nav)
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my Q50 and some of the DIY mods I have done to it. She's a 2016 Q50 3.0t Premium AWD, and my second Q. I drive to class and commute with it so I haven't pulled the trigger on a tune or JB4 or anything just yet, but I think I will when my warranty's gone.

Here's what I've done so far
  • Twin 12 inch Rockford Fosgate subs w/ JBL GTX500 amp tapped into the stock BOSE amp
  • Uniden R1 with a custom harness (taps power from the mirror and runs the alert signal cable down to the dash)
  • Muffler delete (cheap one from Amazon, I think it sounds great, and you can barely even tell with the windows up
  • Window tint

Next up I plan on some chrome deletes and I really want new wheels but I don't know what would look good.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Automotive tail & brake light Plant Car Vehicle Tire

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel
Motor vehicle Steering part Car Vehicle Automotive design

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I like stance wheels on the Q. The SF03 seems to be a popular choice.

Reactions: nickdaria

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,181 Posts
I'd stay stock until you are done with school at the very least. At this point in your life you need something reliable and that isn't sucking up your resources of time and money.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I'd stay stock until you are done with school at the very least. At this point in your life you need something reliable and that isn't sucking up your resources of time and money.
True that. I'm just waiting for the "OK boomer" reply.

Reactions: Pillboy

·
Registered
2016 Q50 Redsport 400 RWD
287 Posts
My parents said the same thing, so I moved out. I have since bought a used Redsport and dumped a chunk of change into it all whilst in school full time/part time, to each their own.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
My parents said the same thing, so I moved out. I have since bought a used Redsport and dumped a chunk of change into it all whilst in school full time/part time, to each their own.
Very Good. You must have a good job!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts

You still have a lot of mods for a student. My mortgage is done-zo next year so all this free money to play with for mods finally....I"ve owned my car since 2017 and havent done any big mods since I had to adult. Cars almost paid off too

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would typically agree but I also work a pretty comfortable software development job for an engineering firm in Birmingham (hence that 1hr commute that puts so many miles on my Q)

I also have a 2007 Nissan Xterra that's kind of my beater and it's never let me down aside from a crank position sensor a while back, so I'm not too worried about having my Q in the shop every now and then.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True that. I'm just waiting for the "OK boomer" reply.
Don't worry, we're talking college classes here not high school lol.

Also it's solid advice anyways so if my circumstances were different I'd be in that boat.

·
Registered
2016 Q50 Redsport 400 RWD
287 Posts
Very Good. You must have a good job!
You still have a lot of mods for a student. My mortgage is done-zo next year so all this free money to play with for mods finally....I"ve owned my car since 2017 and havent done any big mods since I had to adult. Cars almost paid off too
I work very hard for what I have and also have a great job, I was making 50k a year at 19 while full time in school when I decided to move out on my own, I was/still am working up to 60-70 hours a week regularly.

Adulting was a big shell shock haha, I have to plan to buy a flex fuel kit a few months out where as beforehand it would've been a purchase without second thought.

Congratulations on purchasing and almost paying off your house. I can't wait to purchase my own property

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,680 Posts
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my Q50 and some of the DIY mods I have done to it. She's a 2016 Q50 3.0t Premium AWD, and my second Q. I drive to class and commute with it so I haven't pulled the trigger on a tune or JB4 or anything just yet, but I think I will when my warranty's gone.

Here's what I've done so far
  • Twin 12 inch Rockford Fosgate subs w/ JBL GTX500 amp tapped into the stock BOSE amp
  • Uniden R1 with a custom harness (taps power from the mirror and runs the alert signal cable down to the dash)
  • Muffler delete (cheap one from Amazon, I think it sounds great, and you can barely even tell with the windows up
  • Window tint

Next up I plan on some chrome deletes and I really want new wheels but I don't know what would look good.

View attachment 103799
View attachment 103800 View attachment 103801
View attachment 103803 View attachment 103804
View attachment 103802

Am I understanding you correctly that you have two Qs, this one being your daily commuter. And the other one?

All I'll say is when I was "driving to class" it wasn't no $20/$30k car. In the mid 90s, it was a salvage title 1990 Audi 100 I believe.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,858 Posts
I didn't own a car until I graduated from college. Couldn't afford one.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
I didn't own a car until I graduated from college. Couldn't afford one.
Wow. I didn't have one until I graduated from high school and I felt deprived.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,858 Posts
Wow. I didn't have one until I graduated from high school and I felt deprived.
I did drive my parent's cars when I was at home but I was required to pay the additional insurance to add me on their policy and I had to pay for my own gas.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Am I understanding you correctly that you have two Qs, this one being your daily commuter. And the other one?

All I'll say is when I was "driving to class" it wasn't no $20/$30k car. In the mid 90s, it was a salvage title 1990 Audi 100 I believe.
No I have the Q as my daily but I have a Nissan Xterra I use as a beater/backup

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did drive my parent's cars when I was at home but I was required to pay the additional insurance to add me on their policy and I had to pay for my own gas.
I have to cover my own gas/insurance and had to pay for the portion of the car that my college fund didn't cover. The Q was a gift for getting a full ride to my university.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
949 Posts
I knew plenty of kids who had nice rides in high-school/college and modded the cars (mostly 70's muscle cars at the time). I was able to afford my own ca on my dime, but nothing special. I am proud that I have increase HP on every car I have ever owned. Started from the bottom with a 1980 diesel cutlass - quite literally one of the worst engines ever produced! My 2018 Q Luxe would have just edged out my Caddie CTS that preceded it - before JB4. After JB4 it eclipses it!

Anyway, good for you nickdaria! Glad you have the means to enjoy your rides!

Reactions: Pillboy

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I knew plenty of kids who had nice rides in high-school/college and modded the cars (mostly 70's muscle cars at the time). I was able to afford my own ca on my dime, but nothing special. I am proud that I have increase HP on every car I have ever owned. Started from the bottom with a 1980 diesel cutlass - quite literally one of the worst engines ever produced! My 2018 Q Luxe would have just edged out my Caddie CTS that preceded it - before JB4. After JB4 it eclipses it!

Anyway, good for you nickdaria! Glad you have the means to enjoy your rides!
That's a hell of an accomplishment, hoping to follow in the same pattern myself. Also thanks a ton, glad I can too! I honestly just chalk it up to being lucky enough to have known from a young age what I want to do, and being able to land a job in the field.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,858 Posts
I have to cover my own gas/insurance and had to pay for the portion of the car that my college fund didn't cover. The Q was a gift for getting a full ride to my university.
Congrats on your full ride. I got one paltry scholarship that barely covered textbooks during college. My parents paid for half of my college expenses and I was expected to work to pay for the other half. My father went to college for a year and my mother didn't even graduate from high school so money was tight. They didn't have much money but believed in the advantage of a college education and made sacrifices to make sure I got one.

My sons didn't contribute a dime towards their college educations and had cars bought for them by their grandmother and us. I think I learned a lot more from my parents regarding financial responsibility than our sons did from us. That's on us I guess but a full year at Oregon State including tuition, books, a dorm room, and meals was only $2200 back when I started college. When our sons were both in college at the same time, it was costing us over $40K a year to keep them in school and that was 15-20 years ago.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.