Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been an owner of a Q50S AWD, fully loaded from pre-order / delivery. I've been tracking a number of issues / complaints / dissatisfaction issues with Consumer Affairs and my retailer. So far, none of them have been resolved to my satisfaction. Most, have come back as 'as designed'. That doesn't mean I'm happy with the way it has been designed and I'm starting to think about my options. This is my 4th Infiniti so I have others to compare common features to.

Here is my list. Please let me know your experiences with these.

1. Auto-High Beam head lights are very inconsistent. Driving down the same road on different nights or 30 minutes apart, the behavior of the high beams will be different. The dealer suggested they work as designed. They thought my toll device was too close to the sensor. I have taken it out of the window and still experience the same.

2. Steering wheel heating is unevenly distributed around the steering wheel, isn't very warm at all and turns off based on cabin temps even though I want it on. Again, this has come back as, 'as designed'. The design is worse than prior generations and worse than the 2014 M37 i had as a loaner. The M was very evenly distributed and about 3 times warmer.

3. Seat belt motor engages shortly after starting the car and putting the car in drive. It isn't the same intended response you get when applying the brake heavily. It is a 'tug-release-tug-release-tug-release' (gently). This has been very intermittent. The dealer could not make this happen for themselves. I did have an instance of the seatbelt warning in the dash indicate that the seatbelt wasn't engaged when it was.

4. inTouch screen sensitivity varies. Sometimes I can tap an icon as I would on a tablet or smartphone and it engages. Other times, I need to tap several times or press harder for it to recognize the interaction. Again, intermittent and has come back as 'as designed'.

5. Wind noise. I thought this car was designed to be quieter, more air tight. However, it is noisier than my 2011 FX35 and noisier than the M37 the dealer provided as a loaner. This also came back as 'as designed'.

I did receive the DAS update that was recently sent to us as a service bulletin. I fortunately have not experienced any issues with the DAS previously so hopefully doesn't change that.

As others have suggested, the RFTs suck in snow as compared to conventional tires on my prior 2010 G37x, the M37 the dealer provided as a loaner or our FX35.

As to the top5 items, what have your experiences been? Have you had these issues and Infiniti resolved them? If so, what was the resolution? Are these non-issues for you?

I have the ear of Consumer Affairs as I have been speaking with them over the past few months. I'm interested to see who else is having any similar issues.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

David

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I've been an owner of a Q50S AWD, fully loaded from pre-order / delivery. I've been tracking a number of issues / complaints / dissatisfaction issues with Consumer Affairs and my retailer. So far, none of them have been resolved to my satisfaction. Most, have come back as 'as designed'. That doesn't mean I'm happy with the way it has been designed and I'm starting to think about my options. This is my 4th Infiniti so I have others to compare common features to.

Here is my list. Please let me know your experiences with these.

1. Auto-High Beam head lights are very inconsistent. Driving down the same road on different nights or 30 minutes apart, the behavior of the high beams will be different. The dealer suggested they work as designed. They thought my toll device was too close to the sensor. I have taken it out of the window and still experience the same.

2. Steering wheel heating is unevenly distributed around the steering wheel, isn't very warm at all and turns off based on cabin temps even though I want it on. Again, this has come back as, 'as designed'. The design is worse than prior generations and worse than the 2014 M37 i had as a loaner. The M was very evenly distributed and about 3 times warmer.

3. Seat belt motor engages when shortly after starting the car and putting the car in drive. It isn't the same intended response you get when applying the brake heavily. It is a 'tug-release-tug-release-tug-release' (gently). This has been very intermittent. The dealer could not make this happen for themselves. I did have an instance of the seatbelt warning in the dash indicate that the seatbelt wasn't engaged when it was.

4. inTouch screen sensitivity varies. Sometimes I can tap an icon as I would on a tablet or smartphone and it engages. Other times, I need to tap several times or press harder for it to recognize the interaction. Again, intermittent and has come back as 'as designed'.

5. Wind noise. I thought this car was designed to be quieter, more air tight. However, it is noisier than my 2011 FX35 and noisier than the M37 the dealer provided as a loaner. This also came back as 'as designed'.

I did receive the DAS update that was recently sent to us as a service bulletin. I fortunately have not experienced any issues with the DAS previously so hopefully doesn't change that.

As others have suggested, the RFTs suck in snow as compared to conventional tires on my prior 2010 G37x, the M37 the dealer provided as a loaner or our FX35.

As to the top5 items, what have your experiences been? Have you had these issues and Infiniti resolved them? If so, what was the resolution? Are these non-issues for you?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

David
1) I haven't used the auto hi-beam very often, but when I have, it has worked flawlessly. I'm amazed that it can tell the difference between an oncoming car, and a bright reflection of off a reflective sign.

2) I've commented here about the heated steering wheel. While I find that it heats up just fine(to my liking), you're right that it is not well distributed. The places where it is most needed(just above the cross piece) is not as warm as at the top and bottom.

3) I've had no problem with the seat belt. It retracts when it should, and stays in place when buckled.

4) I don't go to the screen very often, but when I have, I've had no problem with it. I don't own a tablet or smartphone, and don't "tap" the screen, but touch it(Isn't that what InTouch implies?;)). The only problem that I had originally, in cold weather, is with regular gloves on. I now have a pair that works.

5) The wind noise doesn't seem to be any better or worse than in the G that I traded in.

I can't comment about the RFTs in the snow, as I don't have them, and being a Florida-raised boy, I won't drive in the snow unless it's an emergency.:) Never had a DAS problem, and like you, I've had the update, and hope that it continues to work.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Agreed about the steering wheel heater. Inconsistently turns on when in 'auto' mode and heat is pretty poorly distributed.

Better than my last few cars that didn't have a heated steering wheel at all but that should be an improvement in future model releases to avoid these types of complaints.

Haven't had any of the other issues you mentioned. Maybe try another service department? Flemington helped me out a lot when I had issues with Willow Grove. They picked up and dropped off the car and I never had an issue with them. The manager there is Rob (or at least it was a few years back). Maybe try calling him.

I do find In-touch is a bit inconsistent but I attribute that to the lag not my touch screen. I'll keep an eye on it.

In terms if snow traction, I haven't had a single issue during this rough winter. I've been super happy with how my Q AWDs handles in the snow.

Your info about the wind noise is interesting. There seems to be a divide on this issue. I find my cabinet quite quiet but others have the same complaint as you. I wonder if the run flats are contributing to the noise?

As I said - maybe try another service department before giving up hope.

Wind noise can be subjective but I had an issue with a previous car and someone with a microphone and headphone setup was able to diagnose pretty quickly and the problem was determined right away. Maybe you can find someone with a setup you can borrow and start at all window seals (including windshield) to see if there is a specific area with wind intrusion.

I don't love the auto hi-beams but have them on all the time. My wife's Lexus has them and they are terrible. The Infiniti execution is much! much better but not perfect.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
1. Auto-High Beam head lights are very inconsistent.
Don't have this. Probably in the Nanny package.

2. Steering wheel heating is unevenly distributed.
Correct, but mine is plenty hot.

3. Seat belt motor engages when shortly after starting the car and putting the car in drive.
No problems here.

4. inTouch screen sensitivity varies.
Mine too. Computer is probably too slow. No easy fix.

5. Wind noise.
Nothing beyond the ordinary.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I do notice that auto high beams engage/disengage at slightly different points/speeds on the same road. But I chock it up to me driving at different speeds and/or other environmental conditions. Certainly doesn't bother me much - in general, I love to auto high beam feature.

I love the steering wheel heater in mine. Yes, there are a couple of spots that aren't as warm as the rest (mine seem to be where the leather seams are). But I like it so much better than the JX35/QX60 - the other car I drive with some frequency that has the feature. The JX steering wheel heater is WAY too hot. My Q50's is Goldilocks - not too hot, not too cold.

Seat belt motor - I've not seen the problem you describe (I had trouble understanding what you're describing) in any other Q50. Mine works as designed. Put it on and it snugs slightly then relaxes. If I'm driving and lock up the wheels (only done this in a snowy parking lot), the belts cinch down tight. My only gripe is after they cinch down, they don't want to let go. I end up clicking out and back in to get them back to comfort point.

InTouch - not perfect, but works acceptably.

Wind noise - I do notice some wind noise in the car. I seem to notice it more around the passenger door than the driver's. However, all Q50's seem to be about the same to me. My first thought is they perhaps could have designed the wing mirrors a bit differently to cut down on noise. Not a big issue, but given how anal Infiniti designers are about some things, I'd expect to see this fixed at some point on future cars.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I didn't get the deluxe touring or technology packages for a reason. More stuff to break. SO that stuff is N/A.

1) In-touch, well its a bit slow, but that horse has been thoroughly tenderized.
2) steering heat. seems fine to me.
3) Noise - Well I am going to get a bit windy on this one....:p

a) I have NO noise issues whatsoever, my AWD Sport is extremely quiet. I feel like I must have noise cancellation, but i don't ....However......

b) a loaner non-sport I used was seriously annoyingly noisy. So much so I have no clue if those smaller wheels and tires were the cause. It was bad.

c) I wonder if some of the cars have bad seals along the windows? (not quite a perfect fit). That was the very first thing I thought of after driving that loaner. it feels like a sunroof when it just doesn't quite close. You can't hear it until you are over 55+.

Both cars were driven the same stretch of highway at 75+ mph. Same lane, traffic conditions etc. It just seemed odd to me, there isn't THAT much difference in the car models. I am going to see if I barely open my window (like 1/2 cm) to see if I can replicate that level of noise.

Please inspect your window seals. This isn't an uncommon problem.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Here is my response to SteinyD's gripes. :cool:

1. Auto-High Beam head lights - don't use the feature

2. Steering wheel heating is unevenly distributed - yes but its comfy

3. Seat belt motor - works fine in my car.

4. inTouch screen sensitivity varies. - yes, but better after lastupdate

5. Wind noise. - none

Reactions: ticholas

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Interesting observations on the sport vs. non-sport wind noise thing. I may have to do some experimental test drives.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I forgot to mention. I measured the db from driver side ear. The non-sport loaner was 6 db louder. Which is a HUGE difference for those who may not be familiar with measured sound.

·
Registered
147 Posts
1. Auto-High Beam head lights are very inconsistent.

I don't use the auto headlights, we have this on our other car and I just don't like it when the car is always flipping the brights on, although when I have used it on a few occasions like rural roads, it works well enough.

2. Steering wheel heating is unevenly distributed around the steering wheel, isn't very warm at all and turns off based on cabin temps even though I want it on.

I feel it could be warmer compared to my other cars (maxima was much warmer) and I wish the car had a hard button to quickly turn on an off the heated wheel to avoid the touch screen, but it's not enough of an issue to bother me.

3. Seat belt motor engages shortly after starting the car and putting the car in drive.

My works fine and I actually like this feature.

4. inTouch screen sensitivity varies. Sometimes I can tap an icon as I would on a tablet or smartphone and it engages.

Welcome to the world of touch screens in cars as most cars with them that I have owned or driven are the same way. Personally, one of the reasons I like the Infiniti is because you generally have options to using the touch screen all the time. Well designed hard buttons along the sides of the touch screen, the buttons on the steering wheel and the dial thingy on the console keeps using the touch screen to a minimal. But even when I do use the touch screen, it's not too bad, but you do get some slow response times once in a while. Again, I have come to expect it. Just like I expect my smart phone to be stupid once in a while.

5. Wind noise. I thought this car was designed to be quieter.

I find the tires to be a bit loud when radio is off, but I rarely have radio off and hope to replace the runflats after they wear out.

Right now, my top issue is this:

Brakes are WAY too unpredictable on the Hybrid. The brakes on this car might be the one reason I get tired of this car within a year or two. They are just too grabby at low speeds and I can somewhat deal with that. What I don't like is sometimes at low speeds, they don't grab at all and become mushy! So I have to wonder if the car will either throw my passengers forward or not stop at all.

Another issue I have is the transmission seems too slow to engage. When I want to pass somebody, it seems to take a couple seconds to get its act together. Maybe I have not learned how to drive this car yet, but when I want power, I often don't get it right away.

Every car has issues. I like the car. But they do need to look into some of these issues and correct them.

Reactions: jlw

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Another issue I have is the transmission seems too slow to engage. When I want to pass somebody, it seems to take a couple seconds to get its act together. Maybe I have not learned how to drive this car yet, but when I want power, I often don't get it right away.
I had that problem earlier but I found the solution to it. I resetted ECU. When I was driving, I switched to SPORT mode and when I need the power right away (i.e. passing another car quicker), i downshift the gear... sometimes, I had to downshift two gears. The gear went up too fast. I think the computer tries to give the best fuel economy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Frustrated with the Q50

Hi,

I have the Q50hS. BIG complaint is the inTouch system. Takes too long to load. Still no apps available. No lines when car is put in reverse. InTouch freezes a few times a week. I would trade this car in a heartbeat for a G37 had I not leased... Very frustrated and disappointed. This is our 5th and most likely last Infiniti...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hi,

I have the Q50hS. BIG complaint is the inTouch system. Takes too long to load. Still no apps available. No lines when car is put in reverse. InTouch freezes a few times a week. I would trade this car in a heartbeat for a G37 had I not leased... Very frustrated and disappointed. This is our 5th and most likely last Infiniti...
Many folks have raised the very same issues. Intouch freezes are taken care by a dealer installed update (it's free).

You had me there until you mentioned that you'd rather have a G37. Ha Ha, good one!

Reactions: CarolinaQ50

·
Registered
2 Posts
The car has been to the dealer multiple times for updates and such. If anything, the inTouch is worse now. Freezes more often. I had the steering give out on me as well. Nothing like driving down the road and having it feel like the power steering is gone. But hey, the "update" fixed that too. Nothing like having a car I feel isn't safe for my family members to use... Laugh all you will but I would rather have a G at this point. I had 3 in the past and at least I knew it was a solid car. I am considering trading the Q at a loss and being done with Infiniti after 12 years of being loyal to the brand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.