Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Q50 because of how similar it is to my previous ride. I'd like to discuss some specifics that were important to me.

Both have a sport package with a tighter suspension, and larger tires. The Q has even larger rotors, which are probably needed due to it's greater mass and higher power. Both have great sport seats, with the BMW having more adjustability. The Q leather is higher quality. Surprisingly, handling is very similar but the BMW is a bit more athletic, but not by much.

Do I miss the 6 speed manual, and clutch? Not really. I do live in a rural area, and do not have to row gears much, until I go anywhere else and sit in traffic. Not only do I appreciate the Q's 7 gears, but also the functional start/stop tech. At least I don't feel like I'm wasting gas while sitting still.

The BMW used to return 33 mpg, on the highway, while cruising at 80 (lower mpg at lower speed). That was pre-ethanol. At the end, it would only do high 20s. I can easily see that the Q will beat the best I ever got, even with today's crappy gas.

On the tech goodies, the BMW had every option. However, it had quirks: it took awhile for the car to recognize the phone and load the phonebook. If you did anything Bluetooth related before the car's computer was ready (signal strength meter would come on) the phone would not work through the car; occasionally it would lock up anyway, and you performed the 3 finger forced reboot; the Sirius software was far inferior, with sibilants being highly distorted; no oil dipstick, only electronic; electronic water pump (I don't know what the Q has) that would sometimes overheat.

Both have HID lights, which I love. Don't really care for the DRLs, and the BMW let you switch them off. I like to drive stealth and unnoticed.

The Q has superior interior materials and finish. The BMW had a superior red lit dash with a simpler message center that still provided all necessary info. The BMW navi was knob/voice operated, with no touch screen, and no fingerprints. Routing was better (no waypoints though) except that it had 2 DVDs to cover the country (1 state overlap at Mississippi River). I do believe that ultimately the Q's navi will be superior.

The Q has a usable adult rear seat, the BMW had a larger trunk (not hybrid).

The Q does not have a rear sunshade. I'll make up for that by getting darker tint. The backup camera will allow rear vision in reverse.

To me, the Q (as I optioned it) is a continuation of my '06 BMW. Hopefully, with superior Japanese reliability. It's purposeful, fast, efficient, and comfy. I like it.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
KLamalama, I am glad you put your cards (opinion of your previous ride vs Q) on the table, welcome to Infiniti Q family. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you on OEM run flats or did you switch out to regular tyres when comparing to BMW?
I switched out the run flats years ago. I keep a small air compressor in each car. The TPMS is my early warning system. The BMW had severe tram lining with the run flats.

Yes, I'll get rid if the Q's run flats when they wear out.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where is the MGB?
Like all proper British vehicles, it rusted to death.

That one was a '66. Had mags that looked like wire wheels. Top leaked badly, so I just used the tonneau cover, zipping closed the passenger side. It was a fun car. Replaced it with an X1/9.

Reactions: ikagan
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.