Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My previous car: 39 months 12000mi lease - 2011 G37x AWD Premium with Navigation, memory driver seat, power mirrors and power steering wheel, sticker price about 41,800, liquid platinum with black interior

My new car: 24 months 12000mi lease - 2014 Q50 AWD Premium, real leather with Navigation, sticker price about 44,700 liquid platinum with black interior

After covering remaining 3 months of my current lease and all incentives and discounts including $3250 + $1000 loyalty discount:
$368 per month and $2390 at signing includes all taxes, tags, bank fees and 1st month payment

Why I got the Q50? - because my wife liked the way it looked (stupid of me, I know)

My old G37 was a perfect car and I loved it, so Q50 compares as follows:

1. Ride and handling

I did not test drive the Q50, a HUGE mistake. I should have believed all the negative reviews. The car handles like Camry, yes CAMRY!!!

Acceleration is as good as G37, but who cares if there is no road feel.

Cornering is ok, just ok. Better than my father-in-law's Camry but not by much.

The car does not convey the feeling of confidence and fun like its predecessor. Suspension feels soft and almost floaty.

2. Interior

Leather is nice. Very quiet. Much quieter than G37. Seats bottoms are somewhat short, my old G37 seats felt more comfortable.

Power outlet is no longer in the "ash tray" box where it was easy to plugin your cell phone charger. Now you have to fiddle with it in the storage compartment under your right elbow.

No power steering wheel, no rear proximity sensors and missing seat memory buttons in this model (this is a Premium package with Navi in a $44,000 car for god's sake !!)

Unintuitive buttons layout.

Software bugs galore:

Rear camera guidelines don't show up immediately after you start the car. Have to wait about 30 secs. A MAJOR inconvenience!

Sometimes sound volume does not work if radio is turned on immediately after you start the engine.

Too many other bugs to mention, may be later.

Folders and music files scroll s-l-o-w-l-y.

Joystick function is inconsistent and counter intuitive.

3. Trunk:

Not much to say here except that its shallow, less vertical space there than in G37

CONCLUSION:

If you like cars that are sporty and fun to drive DO NOT GET THIS CAR! This car is not sporty and not fun.

On the other hand if you do like softer riding cushy cars then STILL DO NOT GET THIS CAR, get a Lexus ES 350 instead. This way you'll get exactly what you want.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
O.K., really, how do you really feel? Seriously, to each his own, and I hope you like it better down the road, if only a little. I do agree with some of what you say, and disagree with others. However, there is one thing I don't understand:

"No power steering wheel" Huh? If that's true, you have the only one.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sucks to be you... traded in my g37 and I definitely wouldnt go back to it. This car is just as sporty, more technologically advanced, and better looking (imo). The in touch has some issues but not enough to make me regret buying the q. I haven't driven a non sport q50 as of yet, but it can't be as bad as people are making it out to be.

Reactions: SnowItch

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
I drove a stripped down non-S loaner for a week and thought it wasn't as fast and didn't handle as well as my G37xS . . .at first.

The ride was definitely more 'cushy' but I took that as more comfortable - the g felt like a tank sometimes.

Once I started to drive a bit more spirited in the Q, my mind changed rather quickly. Popping it into sport mode helped a lot as well.

If you want more sport, then you would have to get the sport but the base was no slouch. It reminded me of the regular G premiums I would get as service loaners. They still had the G feel when pushed.

The options packages are pretty clearly labelled too. Gotta make sure to read the brochure and order what you want so you don't miss features. That's on any car, any make, any model.

The trunk is very shallow. Not much you can do except take out the spare - but I wouldn't recommend that.

The bugs do detract from the car a bit but they're working on them so hopefully that will change soon.

I love the step up from my G to my Q. Sorry your experience isn't the same.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My previous car: 39 months 12000mi lease - 2011 G37x AWD Premium with Navigation, memory driver seat, power mirrors and power steering wheel, sticker price about 41,800, liquid platinum with black interior

My new car: 24 months 12000mi lease - 2014 Q50 AWD Premium, real leather with Navigation, sticker price about 44,700 liquid platinum with black interior

After covering remaining 3 months of my current lease and all incentives and discounts including $3250 + $1000 loyalty discount:
$368 per month and $2390 at signing includes all taxes, tags, bank fees and 1st month payment

Why I got the Q50? - because my wife liked the way it looked (stupid of me, I know)

My old G37 was a perfect car and I loved it, so Q50 compares as follows:

1. Ride and handling

I did not test drive the Q50, a HUGE mistake. I should have believed all the negative reviews. The car handles like Camry, yes CAMRY!!!

The car does not convey the feeling of confidence and fun like its predecessor. Suspension feels soft and almost floaty.

2. Interior

Leather is nice. Very quiet. Much quieter than G37. Seats bottoms are somewhat short, my old G37 seats felt more comfortable.

Power outlet is no longer in the "ash tray" box where it was easy to plugin your cell phone charger. Now you have to fiddle with it in the storage compartment under your right elbow.

No power steering wheel, no rear proximity sensors and missing seat memory buttons in this model (this is a Premium package with Navi in a $44,000 car for god's sake !!)

Unintuitive buttons layout.

Software bugs galore:

Rear camera guidelines don't show up immediately after you start the car. Have to wait about 30 secs. A MAJOR inconvenience!

Sometimes sound volume does not work if radio is turned on immediately after you start the engine.

Too many other bugs to mention, may be later.

Folders and music files scroll s-l-o-w-l-y.

Joystick function is inconsistent and counter intuitive.

3. Trunk:

Not much to say here except that its shallow, less vertical space there than in G37

CONCLUSION:

If you like cars that are sporty and fun to drive DO NOT GET THIS CAR! This car is not sporty and not fun.

On the other hand if you do like softer riding cushy cars then STILL DO NOT GET THIS CAR, get a Lexus ES 350 instead. This way you'll get exactly what you want.
I understand!! Went through somewhat similar experience! My mistake, letting my wife pick the car ... After I already test drove a fully loaded 2013 g37. The Q is nice, but to me it comes down to driving preference not necessarily better (different dynamics). Unless they build this car from the ground up (i.e. Engine performance..). I had enough of the nonsense that u have to get this package or that package, it's a luxury sports sedan!! Get it right from the base up!!!!!!:mad:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Funny.. I had an IS350 and when it was in for service I had a ES350 loaner.. What a boat.. Exactly the opposite of the Q50. Many people have posted about sport vs non sport including myself. I preferred the non sport's ride and bought it..

Oh and ask the clown in the A4 who thought he was cool and puled in front of me at a stop leading to a freeway on ramp. When the light turned green I passed him before the onramp and lost him.. This car handles great to ME so..

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Funny.. I had an IS350 and when it was in for service I had a ES350 loaner.. What a boat.. Exactly the opposite of the Q50. Many people have posted about sport vs non sport including myself. I preferred the non sport's ride and bought it..

Oh and ask the clown in the A4 who thought he was cool and puled in front of me at a stop leading to a freeway on ramp. When the light turned green I passed him before the onramp and lost him.. This car handles great to ME so..
Yeah, I'm wondering if OP is confusing the ES with the IS. The ES is more of the size of an Infiniti M and it's not tuned for sporty driving whatsoever. It's more of a cruiser if anything and I don't consider that to be the case at all with the Q50.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I did not test drive the Q50, a HUGE mistake.
This one sentence says it all. Anyone who takes delivery of a vehicle without driving it first has no room whatsoever to complain. I can't believe anyone would do this. If the Q50 is your wife's car, let her enjoy it and stay far away.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
There's so much wrong with the OP's post that one can hardly begin.

No test drive then complain that it doesn't handle to your liking? I test drove both and purchased the S version. My wife would have probably bought the other.

With that start, the rest isn't worth a reply.

Good luck with the rest of your life. Remember to try, before you cry.

Reactions: SnowItch

·
Registered
19 Posts

Totally agree on the suspension and ride quality of the premium "feeling soft and floaty". Which is why I will only get the Sport. This is why you test drive...

·
Registered
289 Posts
There's so much wrong with the OP's post that one can hardly begin.

No test drive then complain that it doesn't handle to your liking? I test drove both and purchased the S version. My wife would have probably bought the other.

With
Good luck with the rest of your life. Remember to try, before you cry.
Full disclosure: I did something similar. There were a number of reasons but the main one is that I made an assumption. I test drove the g37, but wound up with the Q, mainly because of the updated looks. In all fairness the misses did mention that I should drive the Q before signing anything. I can't really count it as a mistake because I do enjoy the car, and I'm not cornering at 60+ mph, so for a back and forth to work vehicle I can't complain, S or non S the acceleration is identical (awd v awd, or RWD v RWD). I now have a good understanding of what it is I'm looking for, so I don't anticipate this happening again.

·
Registered
225 Posts
OP is a troll, don't feed him.

Btw It's stupid to not drive a car before you buy it. Sounds like you should have spent a little more and got a hybrid sport if you wanted a sporty car.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
O.K., really, how do you really feel? Seriously, to each his own, and I hope you like it better down the road, if only a little. I do agree with some of what you say, and disagree with others. However, there is one thing I don't understand:

"No power steering wheel" Huh? If that's true, you have the only one.
No power tilting and telescoping steering wheel.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I did say that the car was as quick as G37x.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I'm wondering if OP is confusing the ES with the IS. The ES is more of the size of an Infiniti M and it's not tuned for sporty driving whatsoever. It's more of a cruiser if anything and I don't consider that to be the case at all with the Q50.
IMO Q50 feels like a cruiser compared to G37.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.