Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do I begin?!?! Hmmm at the beginning?? Ohhhh, I think we all know I don't need to start there considering how I've gotten the reputation for being indecisive about my Q50 purchase. ;) Soooo, let's begin in the middle. Yeah, the middle feels right!

I won't bore anyone with the details of my order or the frustrations of my rep being unable to provide me numbers for leasing versus purchasing options. You've likely read my concerns via posts on various threads over the past couple of weeks. I'm a woman...and you know how women never like to repeat ourselves. :p What I will say is that I'm a woman that DID grow some balls. :eek: You heard right!! I did indeed request that since I was on the hook for the $575 transfer/transportation fee that I wasn't aware of until my Q50 was on a truck from Tampa, that they throw in something to offset the fee. Can I get a round of applause, please?? :D You know what? It wasn't as awkward and uncomfortable as I thought it would be. But more of that in a moment!

I finally received numbers and options (lease versus purchase) last Thursday. I was SHOCKED :eek::eek::eek: to hear that purchasing, with $3K down, would still make my payments in the high $700's to low $800's (he didn't have exact at that time) over five years, even with my under 2% interest rate and VPP pricing! This was my nightmare! THIS was why I was trying to get numbers for the past month. I was concerned! I was very concerned that maybe, just maybe I would have to bow out of the car altogether. Of course, just two days prior to this not so fabulous news, I had also received news from my manager at work that my job may be eliminated at some point. Sooo the news just kept getting worse and worse so maybe it was for the best that I backed out of the deal!

But then, my rep gave me much better news (after I picked myself up off the floor as I was curled up in a ball, rocking back and forth crying)...leasing the Q50, with ZERO down (thanks to the $1000 loyalty) would get me at $633 (tax included), and not even doing MSDs, as that would only save me $30/month and frankly, I like having $3K in the bank JUST in case I do end up losing my job. Wait, what just happened?!?! Let me get this straight! I can get this AWESOME machine for less a month than I pay for my current G37S?? Umm Book'em Danno!!! Wrap that bad boy up and let's make a deal! Heck, I even asked if he could put a big red bow on top like the Lexus Christmas commercials. :p

He gave me further great news and said that I could actually go pick her up that afternoon. Ummm yes please!! So I headed down to Huntsville around 3:00pm and gave my baby G37S much deserved praise for a job well done over the past three years. She never gave me a moment of frustration or grief. On the contrary, she gave me countless moments of joy and smiles. Too bad I can't say the same for any relationship I've ever been in. haha Buuuuuut I digress!

As I walked into the dealership, I was immediately greeted by my rep with a hug as well as handshakes from the owner and the General Manager. The rep began discussing the paperwork and the $575 transfer/transportation fee came up. As a compromise, they agreed to allow me to have the Zurich Shield (interior and exterior sealants) applied for under cost, $425. Considering they normally charge $800, I decided to accept their offer. I was also told that the Zurich replaces the need to clay bar and sealing the paint, so for me, that's about 10 hours of physical labor (in the hot Tennessee sun) that I will no longer need to do. Oh yes, that sounded like a good plan to me. ;)

My rep also surprised me with a year of free maintenance (at any Infiniti dealership, so I don't need to drive to Huntsville for my service). Sure, it's not a huge deal considering first year of service will be minimal, but it was a nice bonus and gesture. I went ahead and purchased the additional two years as well since I did the same on my G37 and it was nice not to have to fork over money every time I needed routine maintenance.

After the finance manager had me sign my life away and my rep gave me a brief introduction to the car, I was on my way!!! OH NO!! I completely got caught up in the moment (and rain) that I failed to go pat my G37 on the rear quarter panel and bid her adieu. Oh the guilt!! But at least I thanked her during the drive to Huntsville. I'll have to be OK with that for now. Maybe she'll still be on the lot when I go back in a couple of weeks for my follow-up.

But now I need to focus!! I FINALLY have my baby, Pearl. Why Pearl? Well, although Moonlight White, in person you really pick up on the shimmer of the pearl. I considered, "Minnie Pearl" considering I do live in Nashville but then I thought that would mean that I would also need to hang her price tag from the rearview mirror. ha (Ohhhh the younger forum members just got confused by this reference!! :eek:)

Since it was raining and I didn't really have time to set up the driver's aids that night, I will move on to my experience driving Pearl on Saturday. With about 4 hours of driving on Saturday, I had a lot of time to test out the driver's aids, intelligent cruise control, advanced high beams, navigation and well, just about every other available feature.

As I head to the other side of Nashville, I turned on all driver's aids: Lane Departure Warning, Lane Departure Prevention with Active Lane Control, Blind Spot Warning/Blind Spot Intervention, Preventive Forward Collision Warning, Forward Emergency Breaking, Distance Control Assist, Intelligent Cruise Control, High Beam Assist, and Backup Collision Intervention. The fact that you can turn on/off the "main driver's aids" with a touch of a button on the steering wheel is great! So now, how do all these safety features perform?!? Well, pretty darn great!!!!

Ohhh how cool it was to have the Intelligent Cruise Control so that I no longer had to stop/start my cruise control. It would speed up and slow down to a crawl as needed. I never had to put on my brake or gas for over 50 miles. The orange lights on either side of the front door windows flashing when a car approaches in your blind spot rocks! It will be a great tool for those who do a lot of lane changing. Ohhh and for those who don't use their blinkers will quickly learn to do so because if you attempt to change lanes without a blinker, the car basically nudges you back into your lane. And you really can literally let go of the steering wheel on a straight road and it will keep you down the middle...even in the rain! Pretty amazing!!

At one point while on the freeway, there was construction which rerouted cars to take a different off ramp. Although I was in the correct lane for taking the ramp, this "surprise" (or rather people not paying attention until it was right up on them) meant a surge of cars rushing over into the off ramp. :eek: My Q50 was already handling the slowing of the off ramp traffic thanks to the Intelligent Cruise Control, for which I had "medium" Distance Control separating me from the car ahead of me. However, once cars started cutting in front of me and then slamming on their brakes, the Forward Emergency Breaking and Preventive Forward Collision Warning kicked in. And BOY it worked like a charm! It literally stopped my car in a manner that not only prevented me from hitting the cars but also slow enough that it didn't cause the cars behind me to hit me! AMAZING!!

On the way home Saturday night, I was able to use the High Beam Assist and it works like a charm. It never changed inappropriately but is actually smart enough to know that although a car was in front of me (about 1/8 mile ahead) and normally would turn off the high beams, but as we went around a curve on an off ramp, the high beams came on because the car was no longer in front of me but once I finished the curve and the car was again in front, the high beams were turned off.

One unexpected experience on the drive home was a freeway dead stopped for as far as the eyes can see.....red tail lights!! I immediately hit the "traffic" option on the InTouch and it not only told me that the traffic was for another .8 miles but the navigation screen updated to show me the traffic with a red line and where I was in the traffic. It helped me determine whether or not I should get off on the next exit. GREAT help for those who travel freeways!

While in the traffic, I was approaching a car on my left that I IMMEDIATELY knew was the gorgeous Q50, just by the tail lights. As I approached the car, I loved how shiny it was. I couldn't tell the actual color as it was very dark outside but I think it was the Graphite Shadow. It looked sexy, for sure. I continued to slowly pass the car but I wouldn't take my eyes off the car (heck, I didn't have to because the driver's aids would stop my car if I got too close to the one ahead of me while I'm not focused on it myself! haha). I was mesmerized by the headlights. I finally got to see what they look like while passing one and let me just say, they WILL get you noticed. They are SO cool and unique. Not another car out there that even comes close....not even the Lexus IS "Nike swoosh"! ha

As I drove the car all day and night, I couldn't help but feel pride as I knew it was getting attention and even more attention at night thanks to the headlights!! I know I wrote a lot, but believe me, I could write twice as much! ha I will say that anyone who writes a professional review of the Q50 without the technology package is missing the whole point of this car. The Q50 is sexy, the power is substantial and the two touch screens and InTouch systems are great but this car is really all about the technology package. It is simply amazing!!!!! It's great that people who don't get to experience the drive will still be intrigued by the exterior of this car, but for those who have the true pleasure of riding in the Q50 or better yet, drive one are in for a treat!

I'm sure that I'm missing several things that I meant to note but for now, I think this is a good start. Heck, I'm pretty sure most have stopped reading LONG ago! ha

Bottom line, if you haven't placed your order yet, I HIGHLY recommend purchasing the technology package. If you are already spending over $40K on this car, it really is worth the extra $3K (or more if you also aren't getting the touring package as that is also required for technology package)!!

In closing, I looooooooooooooove this car!! It is going to be an exciting ride for years!! Now......go and get yours!! :D

EDIT/UPDATE: I forgot to mention that although the Personal Assistant is free for 4 years and the Infiniti Connection is free for the first year, there is a fee for the Infiniti Connection after the first year. The breakdown of that cost is: $179/annually for the Infiniti Connection which includes: Automatic Collision Notification, Emergency Call, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Remote Door Lock/Unlock, Report Stolen Vehicle, Alarm Notification, Maintenance Alert, My Schedule and Scheduled Maintenance Notification. But there is also another $129/annually for the Infiniti Connection Plus which includes: Destination Send-to-Vehicle, Destination Assistance, Drive Zone, Max Speed Alert, In-Vehicle Connection to Infiniti Personal Assistant and Valet Alert. You will need to sign up for the Infiniti Connection to access it.

You will need to go to www.infiniticonnection.com and sign up for the service for it to "connect to center" on the InTouch. Add your vehicle to "My Garage" then click on the Infiniti Connection button within your car details. It will walk you through signing up for the free service. Although it offers you to extend the service, the tech rep told me it is best to bypass during signup and make sure to keep it a "zero" and skip payment information. If you'd like to extend the service at a later point, just go back to the site. Ohhh and don't forget to download the Infiniti Connection and Infiniti Personal Assistant apps on your smart phone!! :D

Second Edit/Update: I forgot to mention that my insurance actually went DOWN $12/month with the Q50!! I now pay $481 every six months!! Stats: Single, no children, 43 years "young", no accidents, no speeding tickets, 9,000 miles a year, and have home insurance and jewelry riders with same insurance company.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
So, Chick, I guess you're going to take some time off from work?:D

Thanks for the write-up. I DID read the entire thing, and look forward to seeing how the safety stuff works. To be honest, though, I am getting somewhat depressed about having to "navigate" all the InTouch features, especially since there are so many complaints about them not working. H3ll, it's depressing to me just reading how they DO work.:eek:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Thanks for the write up on the techs side of the Q50. That's why I choose the Q50 over any other cars. Really glad the techs work great on the Q50. I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered car to arrive :(

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the write up on the techs side of the Q50. That's why I choose the Q50 over any other cars. Really glad the techs work great on the Q50. I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered car to arrive :(
You will NOT be disappointed. The technology package truly is amazing and well done. I never felt like they would fail or I'd get in an accident as I let the features "control" the car.

So, Chick, I guess you're going to take some time off from work?:D

Thanks for the write-up. I DID read the entire thing, and look forward to seeing how the safety stuff works. To be honest, though, I am getting somewhat depressed about having to "navigate" all the InTouch features, especially since there are so many complaints about them not working. H3ll, it's depressing to me just reading how they DO work.:eek:
The InTouch is very easy to use and will become a quick learn as to where to go for things. To utilize the driver's aids you really don't even need to use the InTouch. I have had NO issues with the InTouch system, unlike a few others.

Nope, read every word. Thanks for the thorough review.
awesome write up! glad you're enjoying the car
Thanks Carz and SnowItch! :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
iChick - great write up and your usual humor peppered in. And yes, I got the reference to Minnie Pearl (my age is showing). Enjoy the **** out of the car! I'm looking forward to your next update! Keep them coming. I am still living vicariously through you and others that have already taken possession of your cars!

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha, yeah, it's nerd shorthand for "too long, didn't read". You can throw it in at the end with a summary for ADHD spastics that can't sit still long enough to read paragraphs.
I'm one of those ADHD spastics actually! But I don't do shorthand, even in texting!!! :p

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Ummm...Is this book available on my Nook, because I need my page and come back to it in a bit....:p:eek::p

·
Registered
150 Posts
Amazing write up iChick. I'm glad the technology is package is worth it. Over 50 miles. Wow that's just amazing. Did the car turn itself on curvy roads? For over 50 miles I'm assuming. If so was the steering wheel turning by itself like Kit from Knight Rider ? :eek: (Btw my cars name will be Kit)

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Amazing write up iChick. I'm glad the technology is package is worth it. Over 50 miles. Wow that's just amazing. Did the car turn itself on curvy roads? For over 50 miles I'm assuming. If so was the steering wheel turning by itself like Kit from Knight Rider ? :eek: (Btw my cars name will be Kit)
Man! I should have thought of KIT! I loooooooooooved that show!!!! The car doesn't really steer well by itself around curves! It's more for straight roads! :(

·
Registered
150 Posts
Man! I should have thought of KIT! I loooooooooooved that show!!!! The car doesn't really steer well by itself around curves! It's more for straight roads! :(

That would have been nice. And yes I've named all my cars Kit. The Q50 will be Kit 4.0 :cool: now infiniti has to work on the car actually talking to us like Kit was to Micheal. From the looks of things, we aren't far away.

·
Registered
585 Posts
That would have been nice. And yes I've named all my cars Kit. The Q50 will be Kit 4.0 :cool: now infiniti has to work on the car actually talking to us like Kit was to Micheal. From the looks of things, we aren't far away.
Hah! Made me thing of "The Big Bang Theory" episode where Sheldon reprograms Leanard's GPS so that it blurts out location based trivia - great episode.

Reactions: Infiniti Chick
1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.