Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I just picked up and S hybrid last night and after an hour drive back home in some traffic on the freeway there are a few things I notices.

Engine:
I drove both the 3.7 S when I was making a decision so here are my thoughts now. I think the 3.7 is a much smoother and quieter engine than the 3.5 in the hybrid. The 3.7 is just quiet and smooth transitions between shifts and I think sounds more powerful but the hybrid is quicker.

The 3.5 is a little noisy when it kicks in from battery to gas engine and it kind of sounds like a growl I suppose. Once the engine and battery are working it's very smooth.

Tires:
The tires are brutal. They are hard and noisy on the freeway. I will be changing them out soon.

Steering:
Mine has the adaptive steering. I know you can change the settings but in the Sport mode, it's way too stiff, almost like there is no assit at all. I don't know if any of you remember the days of cars without steering assit. haha, but it feels like that at all speeds. When in Standard it's much better and much easier to drive. I think I can personalize my settings to have Sport but with the standard steering.

Other:
I have to look into the brake pedal but the modulation is "squishy" and seems like there is too much resistance. This can probably be remedied.
The rest of the car was very nice. There are so many settings to get comfortable in the seat and took some time to get settled. The steering wheel seems a little thin for the S version as my Acura TL had a fatter wheel, but that was an option that I had. It took some time to get used to and still haven't yet.

INTouch:
I didn't have much time to play around with this, just wanted to get home as it was a long day and getting late.
Two things I noticed that are annoying. When you are playing your ipod there is a delay in the system while it downloads the artwork. So, what this means is the if a song comes on and you want to change it you can't until the artwork for the song you are listening to loads. UGH! This was frustrating.

Secondly, I'm not sure of the issue but when you have HD radio search selected, which means that when you change the station it first loads the regular radio station but if there is an HD signal it switches over. The issue is that if there is a HD signal, if the signal is weak, a screen comes up "Searching" and you get no sound until it loads.

Not nit picking, just wanted to let you know my observations after a long dive home.

Overall, it's a very nice car to drive and comfortable inside. This is my first electric or hybrid car so it reacts and sounds different so it will take some time to get used to that, but overall, I am enjoying it quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Could you enlighten us as to your baseline for judging ride quality and steering, i.e., what you have been driving previously?

I think the squishy pedal is due to regenerative braking (KERS type stuff). Other hybrid owners have mentioned this is normal in hybrids.

Good stuff, thanks for posting!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Could you enlighten us as to your baseline for judging ride quality and steering, i.e., what you have been driving previously?

I think the squishy pedal is due to regenerative braking (KERS type stuff). Other hybrid owners have mentioned this is normal in hybrids.

Good stuff, thanks for posting!

My baseline is that my last three over the years. I've had other cars as well that were my wife's, included a Mercedes, Minivan, SUV, but these were mine.

2010 Acura SH-AWD 6sp manual
2008 VW R32 DSG
2002 BMW M3 6sp manual

My Acura was riding on Michelin Pilot Sports and they are awesome tires as everyone knows and they are softer and quieter

R32 has Pirelli's, quiet also but not at grippy as the PS's.

M3 had Continentals, great tire and softer and quieter.

The most athletic car of those or course was the M3 and the steering was fantastic and well weighted. Actually, the Standard setting on the Q50 feels more like the three cars, weighted wise. The sport mode steering is way too heavy for my liking.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Oh and another observation as I drove home at night was the the headlights are BRIGHT! I mean lighthouse bright, haha And the throw is far and wide. At first I kept thinking I had my high beams on but they weren't.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sports are the OEM tire on my S430 AMG Sport. They are pricey and over the years I've tried alternatives including the Conti Pro Contact, Dunlops and Sumitomos but nothing rides or wears like the Pilot Sports. My current set has been on the car since February and the tread depth is still at 10/32's. The S is quite a bit heavier than the Q50 so I'm not sure they wouldn't be overkill.

Our Audi S5 is a small, light sports car on Goodyear Eagle LS (OEM) and the ride, noise, wear and handling characteristics are excellent. Those might be a better choice.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Michelin Pilot Sports are the OEM tire on my S430 AMG Sport. They are pricey and over the years I've tried alternatives including the Conti Pro Contact, Dunlops and Sumitomos but nothing rides or wears like the Pilot Sports. My current set has been on the car since February and the tread depth is still at 10/32's. The S is quite a bit heavier than the Q50 so I'm not sure they wouldn't be overkill.

Our Audi S5 is a small, light sports car on Goodyear Eagle LS (OEM) and the ride, noise, wear and handling characteristics are excellent. Those might be a better choice.
The Audi S5 is neither small or light, in fact it's only about ~ 100lbs less than the Hybrid Sport RWD. I don't care for Goodyear tires, never liked the ones I had. For the price the BFG Comp Sport 2's are a great tire. You'd pay $50-$80 more per tire for the Michelin Pilot's or Super Sport.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Pics or u are lying! :p

Congrats on getting your Q50 already man! I do share the same insight with u about the headlights! Love the coverage and light output! Its like night and day with my G35 projectors and I found my projectors quite nice already!

Reactions: SimpsonTide985

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pics or u are lying! :p

Congrats on getting your Q50 already man! I do share the same insight with u about the headlights! Love the coverage and light output! Its like night and day with my G35 projectors and I found my projectors quite nice already!
So true, I know. You know this of course, is one of the busiest we've had in a while and this weekend is crazy too. so not photos yet.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Hehe! Its all good bro! I can probably post a photo of mine an pass it as yours! Hahaha!

But then again...i started a small mod already! ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Audi S5 is neither small or light, in fact it's only about ~ 100lbs less than the Hybrid Sport RWD. I don't care for Goodyear tires, never liked the ones I had. For the price the BFG Comp Sport 2's are a great tire. You'd pay $50-$80 more per tire for the Michelin Pilot's or Super Sport.
We have an A5, not an S5. Sorry about that. I was saying the A5 is small and light like the Q50, where the S430 is a barge. I'm not typically a Goodyear guy either, but the A5 does have a really nice ride on them for a sport coupe.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am not a tire geek but I mentioned at dealer that I had been hearing the 19 in RFT I am getting suck
I was told not to listen to he Internet chatter that these were the best tires:):)
Pick up tomorrow and still do not know what to do on tires
Seems crazy spend 50 k on car and then go out to get other tires swapped out. We will be making long highway trips and road noise and rough ride wears on me
What should I consider Q50xS

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am not a tire geek but I mentioned at dealer that I had been hearing the 19 in RFT I am getting suck
I was told not to listen to he Internet chatter that these were the best tires:):)
Pick up tomorrow and still do not know what to do on tires
Seems crazy spend 50 k on car and then go out to get other tires swapped out. We will be making long highway trips and road noise and rough ride wears on me
What should I consider Q50xS
Best tires... Hardly... Search on Tirerack and check around.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Steering:
Mine has the adaptive steering. I know you can change the settings but in the Sport mode, it's way too stiff, almost like there is no assit at all. I don't know if any of you remember the days of cars without steering assit. haha, but it feels like that at all speeds. When in Standard it's much better and much easier to drive. I think I can personalize my settings to have Sport but with the standard steering.
You THINK you can personalize your settings? Wait a minute. Didn't your salesperson take the time to deliver the car and show you how to personalize things?

To me, this is more proof that customer satisfaction is really going to vary dramatically based on your salesperson. Some users will come on here or other forums and learn lots of things about how to use your new vehicle, but for the first time ever, salespeople are going to need to earn their commission - given that 90% of users never go online to look up stuff about their cars. And I truly hope customers realize that paying a little more to have a knowledgeable, articulate, smart salesperson is going to be totally worth it.

I did an abbreviated (aka shortened) delivery on the first Q50 I sold. My client is coming back early next week for a refresher and to cover a host of features we didn't have time to address. But we certainly talked about how to customize the driver settings and we set up hers.

If you get a salesperson who can't articulate all the features of your prospective new car, go find another salesperson, or another dealership.

Reactions: Infiniti Chick

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Didn't your salesperson take the time to deliver the car and show you how to personalize things?
Sinecure's general sales manager told me to schedule at least a couple of hours when I pick up the car so they can go through everything with me. That's the kind of service you want from your dealership for this car.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I've already mentioned here that my salesman has pledged to come to my house to help me set up the music. He recently told me that he was a programmer, and he'll spend as much time with me as needed to make me comfortable. That's the kind of example of what I meant by service being more important than the "deal" you get at the beginning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.