Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Q60 3.0T SS/ AMS Intakes/ AMS LDP / JB4 @93
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if this has been done before. Is this safe? Have not seen a VR30 using one yet.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hate to be the child that walks into the movie halfway and wants to know what’s going on, but…. What are we talking about here? I have no idea what a N2NB WOT BOX is, so now I’m curious!

Reactions: Wheels43

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hate to be the child that walks into the movie halfway and wants to know what’s going on, but…. What are we talking about here? I have no idea what a N2NB WOT BOX is, so now I’m curious!
its a 2 step launch control box. its most often used for manual transmission vehicles to assist in shifting and when theyre equipped with turbkis, to help hold boost between shifts. it can also be used to assist in spooling a turbo from a dig by holding a set rpm at launch.

for an auto equipped vehicle, its use is maximized when using a trans brake. between the two, you can infinitely vary launch rpm and boost.

in my opinion, i think there is something more beneficial before resorting to wiring in a bunch of extra stuff. anyone, literally anyone, needs to crack the TCM to allow full control over the trans. according to the FSM, the oem converter has a 3,300 - 3,600 rpm stall. in practice, ive never seen anything remotely approaching that rpm in any kind of gear and engine load. allowing the transmission to reach full stall from a dig would be a boon for ETs and truly punish DRs and slicks from a first gear launch. additionally, full TCM control would also allow for second gear starts where you could not only have full boost from a stop but immediately have a heavy load on the engine to allow the turbos to stay in boost during low gears.

i fully believe that theres AT_LEAST half a second to be gained from that kind of setup. not only that, running the converter unlocked in low gears would save wear n tear on the lock up before it eventually gives up the ghost, lol. at that point, im calling PTC, Circle D, or even COAN. if im going to pay through the nose for something, its going to be due to quality, not because of greedy people attempting to take advantage of others as is all too common in the import world.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Thanks Blitz!

·
Registered
2017 Q60 3.0T SS/ AMS Intakes/ AMS LDP / JB4 @93
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its a 2 step launch control box. its most often used for manual transmission vehicles to assist in shifting and when theyre equipped with turbkis, to help hold boost between shifts. it can also be used to assist in spooling a turbo from a dig by holding a set rpm at launch.

for an auto equipped vehicle, its use is maximized when using a trans brake. between the two, you can infinitely vary launch rpm and boost.

in my opinion, i think there is something more beneficial before resorting to wiring in a bunch of extra stuff. anyone, literally anyone, needs to crack the TCM to allow full control over the trans. according to the FSM, the oem converter has a 3,300 - 3,600 rpm stall. in practice, ive never seen anything remotely approaching that rpm in any kind of gear and engine load. allowing the transmission to reach full stall from a dig would be a boon for ETs and truly punish DRs and slicks from a first gear launch. additionally, full TCM control would also allow for second gear starts where you could not only have full boost from a stop but immediately have a heavy load on the engine to allow the turbos to stay in boost during low gears.

i fully believe that theres AT_LEAST half a second to be gained from that kind of setup. not only that, running the converter unlocked in low gears would save wear n tear on the lock up before it eventually gives up the ghost, lol. at that point, im calling PTC, Circle D, or even COAN. if im going to pay through the nose for something, its going to be due to quality, not because of greedy people attempting to take advantage of others as is all too common in the import world.
Interesting, so this would work on a Vr30 then correct? I’m just lost on where the cords go haha

·
Registered
834 Posts
i have to admit that i dont know how it would interact with the ecm, instinct say "not well".

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Probably trigger a misfire if I was to guess. I designed and built my own 2 step and was able to trigger off 1 coil signal, but never fully wired it into all 6 coil packs.....I went down the HPT rabbit hole instead.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,707 Posts
anyone, literally anyone, needs to crack the TCM to allow full control over the trans.
The amount of people that would buy hpt for tcm tuning and then how many people would transition to hpt for ecu tuning once they already had hpt for tcm tuning, Makes me wonder why its been 8 months since the last update in the tcm thread…

·
Registered
834 Posts
The amount of people that would buy hpt for tcm tuning and then how many people would transition to hpt for ecu tuning once they already had hpt for tcm tuning, Makes me wonder why its been 8 months since the last update in the tcm thread…
cause theres only one person working on it and they're now without a guinea pig car to test changes on. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts