Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nasty potholes - did run flats help ?

Hate my 16 miles commute to work - too many potholes this winter, single lane road, plus northern virginia / loudoun county construction every few miles, resulting in my q50 dusty and dirty just a few hours after each wash.

To make it worse, 1 mile from my house, on this road, is a stone quarry which supplies to all this construction. Dread getting behind one of those trucks.

Bought wolfgang polish and stuff for spring, not sure worth it, when driving on this road daily. Sorry friends, cribbing here ! Am Unable to enjoy the graphite shadow shine and spark for long.

Back to potholes.....hit a nasty one hard the other day. And another one yesterday coming from DC, at night in dark, right in the middle lane of the Roosevelt Memorial bridge, over the Potomac.

Wondering if the run flats hard rim help protect the tires ???

·
Registered
243 Posts
Enjoying our fantastic cars today is getting harder and harder. Traffic congestion means you rarely get past 50mph and rotten US roads are ruining the suspension and paint.
Sometimes I wonder why not drive an old POS and not become frustrated by the whole thing.:mad:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
For the time I did have run flats on my BMW, I did notice that their heavy sidewalls did provide better resistance to potholes. However, I still got rid of them at first opportunity. They had a nasty tramline effect. That is, they followed even the slight road depressions. At least the Q50's don't do that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
All I know is that the tires are $500 each and people have blown them out on potholes and they can't be repaired so I try extra hard to avoid them with the q50.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Be sure to check the inside of your wheels for bends due to hitting those potholes. It is possible to bend the wheels without breaking the bead seal on a tire. So, you won't start loosing air pressure right away.

·
Registered
256 Posts
All I know is that the tires are $500 each and people have blown them out on potholes and they can't be repaired so I try extra hard to avoid them with the q50.
if someone pays $500 they are getting ripped off. the 17" RFT are $159 on tire rack and the 19" ones are $349. Never the less, once these are dead I wouldn't buy another set.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
if someone pays $500 they are getting ripped off. the 17" RFT are $159 on tire rack and the 19" ones are $349. Never the less, once these are dead I wouldn't buy another set.
Let's say you're 463 miles from home, and your run flat blows up. Since you need a replacement RIGHT NOW, you'll pay the going rate (list price, or close) so you can keep your trip going. Of course, if it's Saturday evening, you may not get anything for a couple of days.

Reactions: maddsiick

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I was so sick and tired of how the run flats handled and how feeble they were on NY roads (after blowing two of them) I changed out to non run flat Continental DWS Extreme Contacts and the ride is so much better and they handle the pot holes a lot better.

Reactions: chicagokevo

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I feel your pain man; sounds like a terrible place to have a shiny new Q50! We have a lot of road construction going on across Dallas highways which is why I get a wash nearly everyday. Not as bad as your situation, but I like to keep my Liquid Plat sparkly new; keeps the heads turning. ;)

On another note, it's worth noting that I was in Discount Tire last week replacing one of my A/S 3 Pilot Sport tires that suffered a screw lodge in its sidewall and since I went ahead & purchased their Road Hazard plan ($40/tire), I didn't have to pay anything extra for the replacement; granted, the tire was practically new so I would've only had to pay $45 OOP with the mfg treadlife credit, but the R.H. plan covers the life of the tires. Anyway, I overheard the mgr mention to another customer that they offer their Road Hazard plan for OEM tires even if they were not purchased @ Discount Tire; you just walk into a store and ask for it, from my understanding. For those of you choosing to keep the RFTs, it might be worth looking into esp. considering how absurd the replacement costs are.

·
Registered
324 Posts
And of course the other lovely side effect of potholes is the huge increase in road debris. I have a nice chip in the center of my field of view from a nasty little stone. The roads around me are so bad, they look like they are completely unpaved gravel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I feel your pain man; sounds like a terrible place to have a shiny new Q50! We have a lot of road construction going on across Dallas highways which is why I get a wash nearly everyday. Not as bad as your situation, but I like to keep my Liquid Plat sparkly new; keeps the heads turning. ;)

On another note, it's worth noting that I was in Discount Tire last week replacing one of my A/S 3 Pilot Sport tires that suffered a screw lodge in its sidewall and since I went ahead & purchased their Road Hazard plan ($40/tire), I didn't have to pay anything extra for the replacement; granted, the tire was practically new so I would've only had to pay $45 OOP with the mfg treadlife credit, but the R.H. plan covers the life of the tires. Anyway, I overheard the mgr mention to another customer that they offer their Road Hazard plan for OEM tires even if they were not purchased @ Discount Tire; you just walk into a store and ask for it, from my understanding. For those of you choosing to keep the RFTs, it might be worth looking into esp. considering how absurd the replacement costs are.
Our streets are just plain nasty, potholes, dips etc galore all over Dallas. Makes me cringe sometimes!:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.