Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the things I hate most about my G37X is the crappy audio display screen (obviously I really love car this is my biggest pet peeve). I chose to go without navigation because I'm the kind of guy who prefers to use my smart phone for everything possible. I remember asking the salesman during my test drive why the screen was so pixalated and cheap looking. It's bothered me ever since... On to my question: is there a difference between the navigation and the non-navigation display in the Q50. I'm hoping I'm not forced to pay for navigation just to get a decent looking display?

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
If you don't get Navi, you just get a lame looking clock on the upper screen. Yes, I'm a salesman and I called that "feature" lame.

You also don't get Infiniti Connection if you don't get Navi.

Get Navi. You'll be happy you did. Works better than your smartphone anyway (much bigger screen).

·
Registered
697 Posts
agree. Get Navi...well worth it while owning the car and at time of resale

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
The smartphone is good and all for navigation but there are just some things that that phone can't and won't ever be able to do that the in-unit car navigation can do. Sometimes I feel people underestimate the advantage and features the Navigation systems in these newer cars can provide these days. In a car of this class, an extra $1400 for a Nav unit shouldn't really be too much of a wallet buster, but maybe I'm being too presumptuous?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The smartphone is good and all for navigation but there are just some things that that phone can and won't ever be able to do that the in-unit car navigation can do. Sometimes I feel people underestimate the advantage and features the Navigation systems in these newer cars can provide these days. In a car of this class, an extra $1400 for a Nav unit shouldn't really be too much of a wallet buster, but maybe I'm being too presumptuous?
It's not really the price that gets me, it's more a fundamental viewpoint that technology is headed in the direction of a single "master" device controlling all downstream devices. The need for on-board storage in most of my consumer products (ex. TV, vehicle, appliances, etc) seems to me to be an interim solution that will eventually phase out once that single device (i.e. smart phone) is capable of controlling all of these items and cloud storage is leveraged to eliminate the need for on-board storage.

Navigation that has maps which are locally stored in the HDD of my vehicle irks me because I know that the day I drive off the lot, those maps are already outdated. When will these devices be tied to the cloud and sync with a global powerhouse like Google using connectivity that I already purchase through my mobile carrier?

·
Registered
585 Posts
When will these devices be tied to the cloud and sync with a global powerhouse like Google using connectivity that I already purchase through my mobile carrier?
The same time the car companies stop using the outdated communication network (I forget what its called - but it is going out of service soon) to supply the data signal for the cars.

I haven't looked at all of the offerings from other companies, but I know I've seen commercials for one company where they will have wi-fi in the car (didn't say if it is 3G or 4G). Once they put adequate bandwidth in the cars, then cloud-based updates would be possible. However, to do that they would then want to charge you a monthly fee for the data service. For me, I'd rather pay a monthly charge for data service than $199 a month for a SSD drive.

Ultimately, the ideal would be a large screen that would simply display from your phone. The issue with that would be that it would be impossible to limit what people could show on the screen.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had the same dilemma when I was buying my premium. I chose no navi, I was sure I can do everything through BT. It is correct but after owning my car for over a month I wish I'd get navi. It just looks much better, it is true the clock looks stupid, you have three other choices of the display to choose from. But the default is still the clock. What I want to say is if I'd buy again I'd buy the navigation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The same time the car companies stop using the outdated communication network (I forget what its called - but it is going out of service soon) to supply the data signal for the cars.
A lot of vehicles still rely on 2G service for communication. You're right, major carriers will be dropping this service soon so all the OEMs are transitioning to 3G/4G

Ultimately, the ideal would be a large screen that would simply display from your phone. The issue with that would be that it would be impossible to limit what people could show on the screen.
I agree - this would be my preference as well. No custom apps for my vehicle and new software bugs to worry about, just the ability to display what I want from my primary device.

I had the same dilemma when I was buying my premium. I chose no navi, I was sure I can do everything through BT. It is correct but after owning my car for over a month I wish I'd get navi. It just looks much better, it is true the clock looks stupid, you have three other choices of the display to choose from. But the default is still the clock. What I want to say is if I'd buy again I'd buy the navigation.
I think I've been sold on Navi, although I fundamentally don't like it :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
A lot of vehicles still rely on 2G service for communication. You're right, major carriers will be dropping this service soon so all the OEMs are transitioning to 3G/4G
What will be interesting is if they will be able to retrofit existing vehicles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What will be interesting is if they will be able to retrofit existing vehicles.
Good point. I think we'll see that Infiniti offers a retrofit option when the time comes. GM set an interesting benchmark with OnStar back in 2004/5 when the conversion from analog to digital took place. They left many customers without the option of continuing their OnStar service, and wound up with a lot of disappointed customers and a class action lawsuit: GM & OnStar have a $5 million Lawsut against them for loss of coverage; Wireless News "OnStar subscriber sues over ..."

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Get the navi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:d

Reactions: SnowItch

·
Registered
348 Posts
The backup camera display on my car (no navi) and the loaner I had (with navi) was equally crappy. I'm assuming that the screens are the same.

Is there a way to turn off only the upper screen?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Had knee surgery yesterday.
My condolences. My knee is passed being able to be fixed - went in today to schedule a replacement. Everything I've heard is that they are better than new, but I'm still not looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Had knee surgery yesterday. Lots of time to sit on the couch and think about Q50 options and packages ;)

Ok, it's done.

You have my sympathy. I've had to give up tennis to save the cartilage in my left knee. It's one of the reasons I gave up my MT 330i.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.