Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too funny. Nav said "take 175 West" to reach a destination along 175 east. Luckily I knew where I was going. After making the merge onto 175 east, I realized what the NAV was doing since it gave me a birdseye view. (see blue route in pic) It wanted me to go to the light and make a right rather than just bear right and use the merge lane. Nav is set for fastest route. Not confidence inspiring - that's why I use Google maps on my iphone. If i could only transmit the iphone display to the upper screen while driving i'd have the best nav/traffic app out there, and it would be free <except for what I pay for my phone data plan>.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah my nav does this too. It also did it the same thing in my g37

·
Registered
585 Posts
Navigation software is by NAVTEQ. They supply software for a large majority of the automakers.

It is expensive to update, and does seem to have more errors than other "free" mapping alternatives.

I agree that it would be preferable to be able to display your phone's map on the larger screen, but if they allowed that, they wouldn't be able to limit it to just your navigation software, and then we would have yahoos out there watching videos, etc. while driving. I really don't think that is a wise option.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Too funny. Nav said "take 175 West" to reach a destination along 175 east. Luckily I knew where I was going. After making the merge onto 175 east, I realized what the NAV was doing since it gave me a birdseye view. (see blue route in pic) It wanted me to go to the light and make a right rather than just bear right and use the merge lane. Nav is set for fastest route. Not confidence inspiring - that's why I use Google maps on my iphone. If i could only transmit the iphone display to the upper screen while driving i'd have the best nav/traffic app out there, and it would be free <except for what I pay for my phone data plan>.
There isn't a navi system that doesn't make mistakes. I use Waze (recently purchased by Google) because it also gives you red light cameras, and reported police locations.

There's a particular location, near my home, that throws my Lexus navi bonkers. If I ignore its instruction, instead of telling you to make the next turn (same mileage), it takes you on a 21 mile detour. Not a typo.

Reactions: SnowItch

·
Registered
585 Posts
There isn't a navi system that doesn't make mistakes
What?!? You haven't been paying attention to these forums have you. This is obviously a InTouch issue...

Reactions: Klamalama

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
What?!? You haven't been paying attention to these forums have you. This is obviously a InTouch issue...
BTW, I believe ours uses Navtech maps, same as my old BMW. However, its navi showed all locations of the last type. That is, if you searched for red light cameras, then it would show you all of them. Same with speed traps.

So, is there a way for ours to show all red light cameras, or speed traps?

·
Registered
585 Posts
So, is there a way for ours to show all red light cameras, or speed traps?
Good question. To be honest, I haven't looked at all of the options. When I take a trip into an area I haven't been before, I usually use the on-board navigation combined with my phone. I have the route programmed into the on-board navigation and I use a program called GLOB (I believe it is only available on Android) on my phone. This allows me to have the car's navigation zoomed in to see street names, etc., and I have my phone zoomed out so that I can see traffic problems, red lights cameras, etc. at a distance (can't very well avoid a traffic backup if I don't see it until I'm in it).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.