Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I could find the answer in the manual, but I'm guessing many here can give a better answer than what I might find there. On the navigation screen, what are the green lines surrounding the highway? Sometimes, the line is on only one side of the road. Also, sometimes the lines have arrows, and sometimes they don't - what is their significance? And(one more), sometimes the arrows are close together, and other times they are far apart - again, what is the significance? Thanks.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Traffic levels. Green is good. Yellow is slowing. And red means stop and go.

The color to the side indicates the direction of the traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts

Good to know, because I never knew that.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I've never seen any color but green. Either the line is there or it's not. Today, for example, driving through rural Kentucky, there were no lines, just the red line for the Interstate. Then, the green line appeared heading south, and later on, the green line appeared on the northbound lane. Still, what is the significance of the arrows, and their closeness, or lack of closeness?

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I've never seen any color but green. Either the line is there or it's not. Today, for example, driving through rural Kentucky, there were no lines, just the red line for the Interstate. Then, the green line appeared heading south, and later on, the green line appeared on the northbound lane. Still, what is the significance of the arrows, and their closeness, or lack of closeness?
I was actually curious abt this on my drive to work yest & was able to quickly conclude that the arrows are indicative of the direction of travel the approaching highway/JCT will take you; for example, when approaching an unfamiliar southbound or NB entrance ramp, it's especially helpful; the directional arrows will only show depending upon the set scale of the map. As others have stated, the colored lines are for traffic conditions--this I find very helpful when I want to zoom out of my map to see the entire area traffic conditions. Green: normal flow of traffic, Yellow: moderate flow (avg. less than speed limit), bright Red: rush hour/stop & go/stalled traffic.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
O.K., colors are now understood. However, the arrows question doesn't seem to be answered. Maybe we're talking about two different things. The arrows I'm talking about are really "half" arrows that are part of the green line along the side of the highway. They are still there even when there is no junction coming up, though they are further apart. Anybody?

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
O.K., colors are now understood. However, the arrows question doesn't seem to be answered. Maybe we're talking about two different things. The arrows I'm talking about are really "half" arrows that are part of the green line along the side of the highway. They are still there even when there is no junction coming up, though they are further apart. Anybody?
Those "'half' arrows" are you are speaking of are displayed in conjunction with the traffic patterns simply as a visual aid to give you a notice to which direction the traffic is flowing in relation to the color key. For example: if the traffic flow is stop & go in the NB lanes of I-94, then the map will show a red line layered over the highway road. Because that particular highway can be free-flowing in the opposite SB direction, the map provides a legend key in the form of the "half arrow" to clearly let you know which direction to consider altering your route.

I captured a snapshot of the manual in case you are unconvinced or are still talking about some other arrow.
Text Font Line Parallel

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Round and round we go.:eek: I looked up the navigation information that you showed in your screen shot, in the InTouch manual. We might be talking about the same thing, but I'm not totally sure. On the screen, the highway is indicated by a solid red line. On each side of that line has been the green lines(I have been in heavy traffic, but the lines have always been green). Embedded in the green line, are the half arrows. Sometimes, they are fairly close together, and other times they are far apart, or not even shown. I have also seen where the green line is on only one side of the highway line, though traffic in both directions is the same. I am absolutely new to even looking at a nav screen(I've never felt that I had a need for it, and still have not used the car navigation - my question is just so I know what I'm looking at), so please understand my confusion. Any additional explanation?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I didn't even pay attention to those colors line until I read this thread.
I'm just happy to report mine work perfectly. I guess it's depend on your location and how fast they update the traffic info in realtime. It even show the exact location where the accident occur with a tiny accident image on he navigation.
I like really this realtime traffic feature. Anyone know if the realtime traffic info is a free 1 year subscription only, or lifetime of the vehicle?

Reactions: chicagokevo

·
Registered
59 Posts
The traffic feed is part of the SiriusXM trial, so 3-months free.

SiriusXM Traffic - $3.99/mth
SiriusXM Traffic™ works with your vehicle's navigation system to display continuously updated traffic information. Pinpoint traffic incidents, accidents, road closings and more.

The trial also includes TravelLink for weather feeds, but since it is not integrated with the car yet, I have no idea what value it adds or if I would want to continue using it. I wonder if this will get enabled with the fall update?

SiriusXM TravelLink - $1.99/mth
SiriusXM Travel Link brings infotainment services to your vehicle's navigation system. Includes one or more of these services depending on device: Weather, Fuel Prices, Movie Listings, Sports Info.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
The trial also includes TravelLink for weather feeds, but since it is not integrated with the car yet, I have no idea what value it adds or if I would want to continue using it. I wonder if this will get enabled with the fall update?
Yes it's been reported by Infiniti to be included.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I didn't even pay attention to those colors line until I read this thread.
I'm just happy to report mine work perfectly. I guess it's depend on your location and how fast they update the traffic info in realtime. It even show the exact location where the accident occur with a tiny accident image on he navigation.
Mine is pretty accurate as well. I use it all the time when hugging the access roads & it's been good w/ traffic feeds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Round and round we go.:eek: I looked up the navigation information that you showed in your screen shot, in the InTouch manual. We might be talking about the same thing, but I'm not totally sure. On the screen, the highway is indicated by a solid red line. On each side of that line has been the green lines(I have been in heavy traffic, but the lines have always been green). Embedded in the green line, are the half arrows. Sometimes, they are fairly close together, and other times they are far apart, or not even shown. I have also seen where the green line is on only one side of the highway line, though traffic in both directions is the same. I am absolutely new to even looking at a nav screen(I've never felt that I had a need for it, and still have not used the car navigation - my question is just so I know what I'm looking at), so please understand my confusion. Any additional explanation?
What I see is the same as other described but here in NyC and tristate area we haw many service roads which may be what you are seeing. I am going into
My car now and will take a closer look at it and try to figure out what the difference is. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
What I see is the same as other described but here in NyC and tristate area we haw many service roads which may be what you are seeing. I am going into
My car now and will take a closer look at it and try to figure out what the difference is. Cheers!
My observations:

The green line(s) represents traffic flow as determined by SXM Traffic (this could be yellow, or red - on either or both sides - only on more important roads - usually behind the curve).

The heavy blue highway line may have embedded arrows, depending on the scale.

BTW, I won't be renewing SXM Traffic because I'm too cheap, and Waze (free) is actually a bit better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.