Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
He's tuned by AMS IIRC, and those peak boosts seem consistent with AMS customers I've seen. I don't think he's allowed to disclose some of the tune details but I could be wrong.
I'm not asking for the tune, simply a boost curve. Surely AMS tuned cars are allowed to log their own cars...

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I'm not asking for the tune, simply a boost curve. Surely AMS tuned cars are allowed to log their own cars...

Yeah I know you're not, hence i said 'some' which I believe incudes the boost details among others. Again, i'm just speculating here as i've seen AMS customers NOT answering questions on boost info even though we are well aware they can easily log them and post it. You know trade secrets and stuff.

·
Registered
334 Posts
would love to see your boost curve on that Dyno graph. I'm not doubting the car made power. Just think, depending on the boost curve, you could make similar power at less boost with less strain on the motor and turbo.

Agree jb4 or ecutek doesn't matter, with bad gas or a bad sensor you can do damage. I can tell you I've seen logs from supposed too tuners on this platform and they are playing with fire. If the owner is fine knowing they're doing long term damage to their setup, then cool, but most want the most power reliably possible.

As far as meth, I think many are overlooking how well it works on the jb4 platform. It's highly integrated so it adjusts boost as a function of meth flow with fail-safes built in. The other awesome benefit is it extends the range of your stock fuel system and drops fuel trims which get maxxed when you up the boost or add higher E content. Again, not for everyone, but many like the idea of having the same or lower intake temps, higher boost/timing, and cleaning the intake valves.
I'm a big fan of meth injection and my plan was to run it on my 240 via my AEM EMS. Got married, had kids so the car was put in the garage and is slowly parted out.

I know I'm risking reliability, but if something happens I won't be blaming AMS or looking for help on these boards.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yeah I know you're not, hence i said 'some' which I believe incudes the boost details among others. Again, i'm just speculating here as i've seen AMS customers NOT answering questions on boost info even though we are well aware they can easily log them and post it. You know trade secrets and stuff.
I have posted my logs here before and I did take out some of the tables, but I may have left the boost table in.

Maybe..... It's been a while.

I'm still trying to log and test in case we need to make adjustments, but it's been raining here in Chicago and I don't want to end up in a ditch.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am not going to read through this full chain to see if it was mentioned, but keep in mind that the Torque (Actual) value of EcuTek is an estimate based on arithmetic equations, and EcuTek is certainly not without bugs ... Checking a few of my old data logs, I see a few where my Torque (Actual) values make absolutely no sense. One data log was flatlined at a value over the course of a 30 minute drive with several harder pulls, multiple complete stops and roads ranging from 25 MPH to 70 MPH. I found another graph that had Torque (Actual) in negative values with a spike and plateau to 6800 nm. My car, no matter the tune, is not working at 6800 nm.

Long story short, I would not put a whole lot of value in EcuTek's Torque (Actual) value in data logs.

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Make sure you upgrade the HPFP, LPFP, and add a Flex Fuel kit before attempting to run E85 ...
LPFP is already in and HPFP is on their shelf. I just didn't want to deal with a gauge in glove compartment and switching maps based on alcohol content.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Who's going to do bigger turbo installs first? AMS, Z1, or Nostrum? I'd drive to AMS to get it done. Nostrum has a shop closer. I'm just waiting. I thought AMS was coming out with one, but they have not replied other than the "keep checking our website" boilerplate reply.
Probably not us! We only do fuel systems :D
Although I can say we're a big fan of AMS' Alpha turbos... >:D

LPFP is already in and HPFP is on their shelf. I just didn't want to deal with a gauge in glove compartment and switching maps based on alcohol content.
E85 will be great for your build. We definitely love the new Flex-Fuel functionality on our own car. It'll let you lean more on timing than boost to get to your power numbers, and will keep your compressor closer to its efficiency range! I know we're able to run 2psi less on our E85 cal, and still put down more power than our 93 setup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Today was the day I replaced my previous Ecutek tune with one from AMS. The difference is amazing! I can’t wait to get it on the Dyno, but when looking at my logs, I see Torque Actual at peak at 893nm at about 4800 rpms.
Converting 893nm to ft lbs is 659. The car feels amazing but 653 ft lbs sounds unrealistic.

Thoughts?
Did you get the stage 3 tune? I'm considering it now

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Today was the day I replaced my previous Ecutek tune with one from AMS. The difference is amazing! I can’t wait to get it on the Dyno, but when looking at my logs, I see Torque Actual at peak at 893nm at about 4800 rpms.
Converting 893nm to ft lbs is 659. The car feels amazing but 653 ft lbs sounds unrealistic.

Thoughts?
I'm not sure what the "torque actual" is measuring, but, you are correct, you're not making 653 lb.-ft. Mine reads high like that too. I'll have to ask some friends what that number is actually supposed to mean.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm not sure what the "torque actual" is measuring, but, you are correct, you're not making 653 lb.-ft. Mine reads high like that too. I'll have to ask some friends what that number is actually supposed to mean.
EcuTek's Torque Actual metric is an estimate at crank torque, not accounting for drivetrain loss. The calculation used for Torque Actual also seems to be wildly inaccurate and I would ignore it. https://ecutek.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/360001063118/Nissan_VR30_-_Tuning.pdf

For reference, my Torque Actual values are the similar 800-900 Nm, but I also have data logs where it has spiked to over 30,000. No possible way my torque is anywhere near 30,000 Nm ...

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
EcuTek's Torque Actual metric is an estimate at crank torque, not accounting for drivetrain loss. The calculation used for Torque Actual also seems to be wildly inaccurate and I would ignore it. https://ecutek.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/360001063118/Nissan_VR30_-_Tuning.pdf

For reference, my Torque Actual values are the similar 800-900 Nm, but I also have data logs where it has spiked to over 30,000. No possible way my torque is anywhere near 30,000 Nm ...
Thank you for the info, @Malmby. I had wondered about it myself.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts