Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

So there will be a new heat exchanger about to be release soon. One of them is already release to the public made by AAM same design as the mishimoto and alpha/Infiniti heat exchanger.

The second one that will be dropping to the public will be the alpha race hear exchanger. It says is 827% more than the factory hear exchanger and a lot thicker. The price is $950.

My thought is that I think it's great. Judging by the picture, it's just slightly thicker, but same length and height. To be honest, the regular alpha/Infiniti heat exchanger upgrade is more than adequate bring the temps down. I installed my Infiniti heat exchanger back in May 2020 and outside temperature 96% and felt like 103%. The coolant temps dropped to 94 so quick after fully send it for data logging. I think even their shop car have the regular alpha heat exchanger.

What are your thoughts about it?

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,833 Posts
$950 is a bit too rich for my blood.

Reactions: 4bliss and Batell

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,682 Posts
$950 is a bit too rich for my blood.
Well it IS from AMS. It is a better idea then the added fender HE reservoir as it adds surface area as well as more coolant. In southern states this would be my choice.

·
Registered
375 Posts
For anyone that has already upgraded the OEM heat exchanger, prioritize the Red Alpha Auxiliary Intercooler Tank then Red Alpha Coolant Expansion Tank before upgrading an upgraded heat exchanger.

Unless you are tracking your Q often, you are unlikely to notice any difference at all between the Red Alpha Heat Exchanger and the Red Alpha Race Heat Exchanger. (And by tracking, I am talking laps around a circuit--for some pulls at a drag strip, you still are unlikely to observe any impactful difference between the two.)

If I were going into this situation with the OEM heat exchanger, I would consider the use case of my vehicle to determine which one I would go with. For anything street driven, I would likely stick with the standard Red Alpha heat exchanger (or Mishimoto heat exchanger, but I personally pay extra for AMS quality compared to alternatives) because my current Q is not a track vehicle but my winter transport, and I have not yet seen an installation manual posted fo the Race heat exchanger (who knows what that install will demand compared to the standard heat exchanger). For my future second Q, that will get the Race heat exchanger as that car will be almost exclusively for track purposes.

Reactions: Batell

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I feel like you would def need to figure out if it's worth it

If you're mainly street driving in Canada you prob don't need this. If you're doing a lot of track days in Florida you might wanna think about it. I would imagine you'd need a new pump to take full advantage of the added cooling capacity as well.

·
Premium Member
'17 SS
532 Posts
How much larger will it really be than the BMS Elite high capacity or the Mishimoto or Frozen Boost HX? I imagine not that much larger.

·
Premium Member
Infiniti Q50 '17 Redsport, Dynamic Sunstone. Trunk Strong Arm struts. Red
153 Posts
Look closely at the images, that slab is a big chonker. 20% bigger at least if not more.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,833 Posts
AMS's site says the regular HE ($800) holds 228% "more coolant" than stock and the new Race HE ($950) holds 548% "added fluid capacity" than stock. So, I guess the new Race HE holds ((548/228 - 1) x 100 = ) 140% more than (or 2.4 times) the regular HE.

·
Registered
2021 Q50RS AWD
31 Posts
Heck for the price of the inter coolers alone I think I would find a way to series two of the frozen boost intercoolers and probably be just fine! Just my two cents!

Reactions: Batell

·
Registered
375 Posts
AMS Performance has posted the installation instructions for the Red Alpha Race Heat Exchanger.

Interesting piece of information that is news to me:
The third method is for those who have the EcuTek tuning software

There is a system bleed procedure built into the tuning app on your phone. This feature turns the auxiliary pumps on to cycle coolant through the system, Utilizing the bleed port feature on the left tank of the heat exchanger, you can allow all the air in the system to escape. Have a funnel filled with coolant ready in the filler neck. Press the icon on the app to drive the pumps and crack the bleeder on the heat exchanger to let the air out. Fill it up with coolant as needed until you are done. You may have to repeat this process several times until all air is out of the system. Fully tighten the bleed port once finished. It is helpful to keep a hand on the pump or listen for when air is passing through. When air passes through, the pump has a sudden pulse or ‘hiccup’. A good way to tell when there is no air left in the system is when the pump is continuously running smooth.

·
Registered
Spartanburg, SC 2016 RS Q50
543 Posts
It may be more beneficial to purchase the race HX than to buy the regular one and add in the AMS AUX tanks. The cooling affect from the Race HX would make more sense adding a bunch of heavy tanks that are filled with coolant.

·
Registered
2016 Q05 RS400 Iridium Blue
14 Posts
It may be more beneficial to purchase the race HX than to buy the regular one and add in the AMS AUX tanks. The cooling affect from the Race HX would make more sense adding a bunch of heavy tanks that are filled with coolant.
Your post has me thinking about this. $150 more than the regular HX and about $500 less than doing the two coolant tanks with the regular HX this might be the way to go if it all works out. Might try and do some research.

·
Registered
2017 Q50RS
3 Posts
I'm out in Phx, AZ where summers rarely drop below 90 even at night. 2 o'clock mid July looking @ 115+. Cooler weather starts in late September/early October and come April the 90s are back. I'm looking at the HX upgrade soon and thinking it'd be worth paying a couple hundred more for the best possible cooling.

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,682 Posts
The AMS extra large HE is what I'd get. I wish AMS had it when I purchased my Red Alpha HE. A much better mousetrap than the AMS fender reservoir.

If you only add capacity to the coolant while not adding surface area, it will stay heat soaked longer. Granted it takes longer to get heat soaked, but in 100+ deg temps it's going to get heat soaked quickly anyway. So larger surface area is the key.

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
479 Posts
If you only add capacity to the coolant while not adding surface area, it will stay heat soaked longer. Granted it takes longer to get heat soaked, but in 100+ deg temps it's going to get heat soaked quickly anyway. So larger surface area is the key.
Ditto - I noticed negligible improvements from adding my Aux IC pump and fender tank vs when I moved from the stock HX to the "classic" AMS HX. Having all three in place does however allow me to enjoy spirited driving in the summer longer. :cool:

·
Registered
2021 Q50RS AWD
31 Posts
I'm out in Phx, AZ where summers rarely drop below 90 even at night. 2 o'clock mid July looking @ 115+. Cooler weather starts in late September/early October and come April the 90s are back. I'm looking at the HX upgrade soon and thinking it'd be worth paying a couple hundred more for the best possible cooling.
So with temperatures that hot do you run an aftermarket oil cooler? Just curious.

·
Registered
2017 Q50RS
3 Posts
So with temperatures that hot do you run an aftermarket oil cooler? Just curious.
Yeah, and anything else that helps it stay cool. I've run one previously in my DSM but then again I didn't have to worry about the dealer giving me grief about mods. Eventually I'll do that with the Q but for now playing it safe. I'll probably go with the Red Alpha unit since its Infiniti "approved" unless I can get away with the race unit. I think the cost would be worth the benefit.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I saw the race unit also but I don't think this is needed for me also. I think I will go with the traditional.
I noticed some of you mentioned the fender tank - on a non red sport - adding the HE but not doing the fender tank - what am I limiting? Car is just a general driver and a few highway pulls.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts