Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,833 Posts
I saw the race unit also but I don't think this is needed for me also. I think I will go with the traditional.
I noticed some of you mentioned the fender tank - on a non red sport - adding the HE but not doing the fender tank - what am I limiting? Car is just a general driver and a few highway pulls.
Save the 14 pounds and $400.

Reactions: JPerkmr954

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,865 Posts
Daily driver and a few occasional pulls? You don't need the race unit.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,865 Posts
You don't really need that either based on your driving habits.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
AMS should have made this a standard unit.

Their original heat exchanger wasnt that impressive.

·
Registered
2018 White Q50RS RWD
24 Posts
Well I have the race heat exchanger sitting on my floor currently, so happy to provide feedback/data once it goes on with upcoming tune.

This thing is pretty massive! I spent a bit extra now, thinking I do not want to have to swap later when it's not my daily. Threw some photos below.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I have the race heat exchanger sitting on my floor currently, so happy to provide feedback/data once it goes on with upcoming tune.

This thing is pretty massive! I spent a bit extra now, thinking I do not want to have to swap later when it's not my daily. Threw some photos below.
Hey there. Have you installed this new race HE yet? How was the installation? I've heard you have to do some cutting and moving stuff around to make it fit.

Let me know.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2018 White Q50RS RWD
24 Posts
I just had Infiniti dealership install it under warranty. They charged 3 hours labor and seemingly did a good job. Small nit-pick is that when looking through grill I can see some powder coating chipped off a black metal piece in front of HX.

They had to keep the car an extra day to get the job done, so assuming they underestimated labor involved. Feel bad for the next guy that comes in with a race HX!

I can post some pics when I get time. Coolant levels are stable now, but dealership asked me to come back in 200 miles ( I am also checking at intervals until then).

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I just had Infiniti dealership install it under warranty. They charged 3 hours labor and seemingly did a good job. Small nit-pick is that when looking through grill I can see some powder coating chipped off a black metal piece in front of HX.

They had to keep the car an extra day to get the job done, so assuming they underestimated labor involved. Feel bad for the next guy that comes in with a race HX!
Oh, yes they did indeed underestimate the labor hours. I also had the "standard" AMS HE installed by my Infiniti dealership, and it requires no modifications to get it to fit. They charged me 4.5 hrs iirc to perform the installation.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I can post some pics when I get time. Coolant levels are stable now, but dealership asked me to come back in 200 miles ( I am also checking at intervals until then).
Nice, was this an upgrade from the stock heat exchanger or from the Version 1 AMS HE?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh, yes they did indeed underestimate the labor hours. I also had the "standard" AMS HE installed by my Infiniti dealership, and it requires no modifications to get it to fit. They charged me 4.5 hrs iirc to perform the installation.
Nice, I ordered the standard AMS HE, but I'm having 2nd thoughts and I'm considering the new "Race" version now. How many back-to-back WOT pulls can you do in 60-70 F degree weather before you get heat soaked? 60-70 degrees F are average here in the PNW. Many people say it's not necessary, but I want an expert opinion. Haha.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
How many back-to-back WOT pulls can you do in 60-70 F degree weather before you get heat soaked?
As many as I want, even at higher temps that we get here (80s - low 90s). The last time I recall heat soak being an issue was when my Q was stationary on the dyno, where I got the best #'s on the 3rd pull after letting the car sit for 15-20 minutes. Otherwise, on the street I've been occassionally challenged more than once in a row (because they couldn't believe it the 1st time?), and my Q pulled the same as the initial one.

With Covid, I haven't had any HPDE seat time, as I just got my suspension mods sorted last Spring, so I'm curious to find out how well it performs in that environment.

Reactions: Batell

·
Registered
11 Posts
As many as I want, even at higher temps that we get here (80s - low 90s). The last time I recall heat soak being an issue was when my Q was stationary on the dyno, where I got the best #'s on the 3rd pull after letting the car sit for 15-20 minutes. Otherwise, on the street I've been occassionally challenged more than once in a row (because they couldn't believe it the 1st time?), and my Q pulled the same as the initial one.

With Covid, I haven't had any HPDE seat time, as I just got my suspension mods sorted last Spring, so I'm curious to find out how well it performs in that environment.
Nice, glad to hear that! Thanks for taking away my anxiety. I mainly take my car for "spirited" drives after 6 PM, when it's cooler anyways. And you know how fast our ambient temps fall towards the evenings here in the PNW. It's scary. It can be 80 F at 4 PM and drop down to 55-60 in a matter of hours.

Pumped to hear how your HPDE sessions go. Keep us posted! We have events here at Portland International Raceway. If you come through, let me know 👍

Reactions: IridiumRS400

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Pumped to hear how your HPDE sessions go. Keep us posted! We have events here at Portland International Raceway. If you come through, let me know 👍
Will do.

·
Premium Member
'17 SS
533 Posts

Wish my dealer would agree to do it :(

21 - 36 of 36 Posts