Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well ****... I will say this, I've tried to reach out to them multiple times and they have never responded to me. I would certainly rather wait for the Mark 3... There's no sense in buying an obeseletr product.

How can I go about getting on this list for the Mark 3? I'm extremely interested, and ~$1k is acceptable.
I will say that the unit you have ordered, while not a Mark III, looks like it does have 4GB RAM. The one I have installed only has 2GB RAM, and this is the main reason I'm upgrading.

Has it shipped yet? If not, you can probably cancel the order. If you already have it in-hand, someone in the group below will surely buy it "new in box" as many have been buying previously-installed units.

Note that the Mark III units eliminate the CD slot, in case that's important to you. Also, whichever unit you decide to install, note that the top stock screen remains installed (literally behind the new screen), and this is how the new radio hijacks InTouch.

The group that is mostly dedicated to these radios is here: Infiniti Q50/Q60 Audio Visual Discussion Group ... The admin just posted this morning about a new group buy upcoming.

Also, this post compares the MII to MIII from one of the first MIII installers (read this and lmk what you think back here, just curious)... Infiniti Q50/Q60 Audio Visual Discussion Group

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
1,635 Posts
Give up my CD slot?? I'd rather dunk my balls into red hot acid full of razor blades!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Lol
I will say that the unit you have ordered, while not a Mark III, looks like it does have 4GB RAM. The one I have installed only has 2GB RAM, and this is the main reason I'm upgrading.

Has it shipped yet? If not, you can probably cancel the order. If you already have it in-hand, someone in the group below will surely buy it "new in box" as many have been buying previously-installed units.

Note that the Mark III units eliminate the CD slot, in case that's important to you. Also, whichever unit you decide to install, note that the top stock screen remains installed (literally behind the new screen), and this is how the new radio hijacks InTouch.

The group that is mostly dedicated to these radios is here: Infiniti Q50/Q60 Audio Visual Discussion Group ... The admin just posted this morning about a new group buy upcoming.

Also, this post compares the MII to MIII from one of the first MIII installers (read this and lmk what you think back here, just curious)... Infiniti Q50/Q60 Audio Visual Discussion Group
LOL. I don't think I've put a CD in my G37 ever. LOL.

I reached out to the main Facebook page, I don't have the radio in hand yet. So hopefully I can get that canceled and wait for the Mark 3.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Lol

LOL. I don't think I've put a CD in my G37 ever. LOL.

I reached out to the main Facebook page, I don't have the radio in hand yet. So hopefully I can get that canceled and wait for the Mark 3.
Man, I would add a CD changer if I could! lol

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,058 Posts
Man, I would add a CD changer if I could! lol
You still use CDs? How...uh...quaint. You still have cassette or 8-track tapes too?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You still use CDs? How...uh...quaint. You still have cassette or 8-track tapes too?
Back in my audiophile days, I had a Technics cassette deck w/Dolby B&C NR & dbx, which was the s**t back then (no hiss), and also a Radio Shack 8-track Player/Recorder w/VU meters. When the 1st CD player came out in 1984, a Technics SP-L1, I bought it, along with my 1st CD - Cars "Heartbeat City".

For s**ts & giggles, I recorded "Moving In Stereo" from the CD onto the 8-track, just to see how "good" an 8-track song would play, knowing full-well the reduction in S/N ratio when going from CD to tape.

Ah, the good ole days... LOL. Kids today don't know much fun we had trying to get quality sound to play our favorite tunes.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,058 Posts
Back in my audiophile days, I had a Technics cassette deck w/Dolby B&C NR & dbx, which was the s**t back then (no hiss), and also a Radio Shack 8-track Player/Recorder w/VU meters. When the 1st CD player came out in 1984, a Technics SP-L1, I bought it, along with my 1st CD - Cars "Heartbeat City".

For s**ts & giggles, I recorded "Moving In Stereo" from the CD onto the 8-track, just to see how "good" an 8-track song would play, knowing full-well the reduction in S/N ratio when going from CD to tape.

Ah, the good ole days... LOL. Kids today don't know much fun we had trying to get quality sound to play our favorite tunes.
I never had an 8-track player but made my fair share of cassette mix tapes for my car back in the day. While I've sh1t-canned all the cassettes years ago, I still have my Teac A-6600 reel to reel tape machine. I have a lot of 10 1/2" reels with music on them that I recorded from vinyl years ago that I still like to play from time to time. I had the Teac reconditioned and tuned up so it works just fine even being 40 years old. I also use a dbx II Model 128 noise reduction/dynamic range compressor/expander for recording. I had to have the op amps and caps replaced in it to get it working again.

It's like having a classic car with old technology. The sound quality isn't as good as digital but it's neat to watch the reels turn while it plays audio! LOL!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
8-tracks are before my time but you bet I still have some tapes. Especially my 'mixed tapes'. I keep them in the garage where I have my Technics rack system with dual tape deck and 6-disk changer. No cassette player in the home theater any more. I primarily listen to CDs in the garage but I throw on a tape here and there. Remember the Metallica No Life Til Leather tape that came out in 2015? Good luck finding one of those for sale at anything less than $Your First Born.

I still have my Ratt, self titled, tape because I can't bring myself to pay $90 for it on CD.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,058 Posts
8-tracks are before my time but you bet I still have some tapes. Especially my 'mixed tapes'. I keep them in the garage where I have my Technics rack system with dual tape deck and 6-disk changer. No cassette player in the home theater any more. I primarily listen to CDs in the garage but I throw on a tape here and there. Remember the Metallica No Life Til Leather tape that came out in 2015? Good luck finding one of those for sale at anything less than $Your First Born.

I still have my Ratt, self titled, tape because I can't bring myself to pay $90 for it on CD.
That's the thing that makes me keep my Teac functional. Some of my recordings can't be found on CD or from streaming services. The tapes themselves will eventually break down over time as the magnetic coating on the tape will start flaking off and for tapes stored a long time, you can get print-through from one tape layer to the next as the magnetic signal on the tape gets transferred to the next layer, causing a faint, echo effect.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

So just to clarify, I was told that the unit I purchased IS a Mark 3 unit. 😁

·
Registered
16 Posts
So just to clarify, I was told that the unit I purchased IS a Mark 3 unit. 😁
The unit you linked to is a Mark 2. Did you actually purchase a Mark 3 ?

Post your link in that A/V group that I linked to above and pose the question there. You'll get tons of feedback.

The one that you linked to has these specs: [PX6 SIX-CORE]12.1" ANDROID 8.1 NAVIGATION RADIO FOR INFINITI Q50 Q60 Q50L Q50S, has a CD slot, and the images on that page are of the Mark 2. And the price is less than that of what we're paying in the group buys for the Mark 3.

Here are the specs of the Mark 3: [PX6 SIX-CORE] 13.4" FAST BOOT ANDROID 9 NAVIGATION RADIO FOR INFINITI Q50 Q60 Q50L Q50S, 4 g ram 64 g rom with built in CarPlay and Android auto.

And an image of the Mark 3 radio (no CD slot, upgraded buttons along the bottom):

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Dang, that thing doesn't just take your CD slot/radio buttons, it keeps going! It takes the heated seats and hazard buttons too! Are those hard buttons along the bottom?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dang, that thing doesn't just take your CD slot/radio buttons, it keeps going! It takes the heated seats and hazard buttons too! Are those hard buttons along the bottom?
Yep, the buttons are hard buttons, and "favorite" is programmable.

So heated seats are soft now - via the InTouch interface "climate" button.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Howdy all!! So... It came in earlier than expected. I have a 12.1", but was told by the folks at Phoenix that ti's actually a Mark III Unit. So the hardware and interfaces are all updated, but it's with the smaller screen. I also still have access to my CD player.

Some things I noticed...

1. I have a Q50, and ordered a Q50 model, but they sent me a unit for a Q50L (I'm assuming this is just a label, and that they're all identical).
2. It looks like the only way to hear audio from the unit (navigation, etc.), is to also be using a media feature of the unit (and not the actual radio). Can someone confirm this?
3. The hardware buttons work pretty well, BUT, the software buttons for the climate are barely functional. It's much easier to swap over to the car interface and use the Climate features there. The soft buttons for the heated seats also don't work all that well.
4. The backup camera actually plugs into the "Right" camera interface for my car. When plugged into the yellow "camera" interface, it didn't work. Additionally, the Red/Yellow/Green gauge is not shown, BUT, the wheel turn indicator is.
5. There is a glitch where a red "no" symbol (circle with a line through it) shows over the volume number, even through it's working just fine. Once you change the volume it goes away.
6. Changing the color of the interface from red (the default) to white, it doesn't change, it just remains red.
7. The device is very responsive, although the "back button" lags sometimes. This is barely noticeable.
8. When enabling the temperature in the title bar, it still displays in Celsius, even though the device has been set to Fahrenheit.
9. I have no idea what the speaker is for.
10. I have no idea to change the ACTUAL music app to something like Spotify or TuneIn. See point 2 above for why I want to do this.

Some critiques...

1. The install guide is... well... more harm than good. I was forced to basically install this myself, without any help, including disassembly of the car.
2. The lack of documentation about how things are supposed to work, a user's guide, etc, make things difficult.
3. There appears to be no real way to contact anyone at Phoenix Automotive and get support. I've reached out and the lag time is on the orders of days. I'd like to know how to get signed up for firmware updates, etc., but there's literally NO information on anything for any of their products. Hopefully this will get better with time.

Overall impressions...

Its really great to have an Android device back in the dash. It looks really amazing, and for the most part is a very stable product. It seems very, very well constructed, and the software runs quickly with no noticeable lag. I'd love to get in touch with the developers to start the lines of communication with the issues above. I'm more than willing to be a beta tester. I was a beta tester for GROM Audio and their similar solution for my G37.

Install Images

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,058 Posts
And that's why I haven't bought one yet. I love the concept and the large display but the quirks, bugs and lack of customer support will keep me away from this until they fix all their problems. Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
And that's why I haven't bought one yet. I love the concept and the large display but the quirks, bugs and lack of customer support will keep me away from this until they fix all their problems. Good luck!
So luckily, the buggiest piece, the climate soft-buttons, won't be that big of an issue. I leave mine in "AUTO" mode, and mostly just change the temperature. On my G37, I set the temp to 66, and never touched it again, except on REALLY cold and REALLY hot days.

I'd like to figure out the radio pieces, but honestly having this type of control is worth it for me, even with the bugs. I'm a technology nerd working with technology every day, so this isn't something I can't deal with.

The lack of support / potentially poor customer service might not be too nice though...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, no, that's Mark 2. I'm glad you like it though.

All of the bugs you've mentioned are addressed, some of them in obscure settings menus. You can find the answers you're looking for in that group I referenced before.

The Mark 3 is the result of the beta testing and development you're referring to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yeah, no, that's Mark 2. I'm glad you like it though.

All of the bugs you've mentioned are addressed, some of them in obscure settings menus. You can find the answers you're looking for in that group I referenced before.

The Mark 3 is the result of the beta testing and development you're referring to.
You said before that I have the Mark 2... BUT, the site, as well as Phoenix Automotive directly told me that I have a 12.1" Mark 3 unit.

I would LOVE to access that group that you've mentioned, but nobody will get back to me about it... Which as I search this forum, seems to be typical with Phoenix, which is not promising...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I see your post over there. I'm glad you connected with that group as there is a wealth of knowledge about these screens.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts