Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

Thanks for providing lots of great discussion and information that helped me during my purchase decision process. I love my car (AWD hybrid premium) despite some quirks. I've noticed after reading about many of the other vehicles in this price range that it is not uncommon to have quirks especially with the infotainment systems.

My Lexus that I traded had its own little mildly annoying issues but overall I find the Infiniti system to be superior.

I've driven a couple of the other major hybrid systems on the market (Ford, Toyota/Lexus, older Honda systems) either on a daily basis as my vehicle or test drives in dealerships and the Infiniti one has similarities but also some big differences in how it chooses to use the electric motor in particular. The only downside to the Infiniti system is that it is particularly challenging to smoothly decelerate. You can do it but it seems harder than other systems I've driven.

A couple of things that I would like to see tweaked in any future updates:

-more complete iphone integration (text messaging inbound and outbound)

-remembering the drive mode and connecting to a user profile

-more consistently including car settings in user profiles - for instance it seems like the sonar settings aren't included

-would be nice to get the eco pedal display (not so keen on the pedal feedback though and have it turned off) and dash eco light feedback even in other transmission shift modes - Toyota/Lexus has a nice total power output meter instead of a tach which makes it easy to drive economically, the eco pedal display is superior to this but not always available like on my Lexus

-love it if intouch would boot faster but the car still works fine even if you take off quickly so not the end of the world

-this is a very minor gripe but would be great if fuel economy history display included the scale on the right side of the graph too (or numbers over the bars indicating the actual mileage for that block of time).

As I said before I love the car and look forward to at least some of the quirks getting fixed and the app stuff added to intouch eventually.

Thanks again to everyone for your help,
Craig

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Congrat on your Q50 hybrid AWD. It's an awesome car once you get the hang of it. It would be nice if you can show some pics ;)
The benefit of the Q50 hybrid is you got power and fuel economy.
The downside is the braking. It can be done to brake somewhat smoothly, but it certainly take some practice.
There is setting for camera/sonar. It is hidden somewhere in the Intouch. Let me know if you need help finding it.
Forget eco mode. Base on my experience, it's better to drive in Standard mode to get best fuel economy. The reason is because it's much easier to go into EV mode driving. EV miles is what give you the best fuel economy.
There is fuel economy history. It's located in Information --> Fuel Economy (I think). Make sure you press and hold the "Trip Reset" everytime you fill up gas so it keep track for you. Also, reset the Fuel Economy from the steering wheel button.
Enjoy you Q50 hybrid, it's going to be a fun ride.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got an Obsidian Black with a graphite interior. I don't think that I can post pictures unfortunately, might have to upgrade my membership.

I've found the sonar setting, my issue is that it doesn't get saved with user profiles. The same setting goes for everybody who uses the car. My hope was to make a special "snow" profile as suggested on another thread and avoid the false readings from slush and snow buildup - unfortunately that won't work unless sonar settings save with profiles.

I've found the fuel economy display, I just wish that the graph had the scale on the right side or they labeled each bar with the actual number. The screen is pretty wide and it isn't quick to see what your economy was the past several measurements because the bars as so far from the scale on the left side. Ironically my Lexus had exactly the same issue. It is just a minor usability quibble.

I'm doing my own testing to figure out what mode works best for me. I have found that the charge/power needle on the tach is not always totally reliable to predict when you've put too much power on for EV mode to continue. The eco pedal display does a better job on this but is still imperfect. The Toyota power output display was almost right on target. It was also more predictable since it was paired with a CVT so the gearing changed more gradually. With the automatic transmission the gearing can change quickly and the electric motor power needs can as well.

Just have to adjust to the different type of hybrid, that's all.

Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
324 Posts
Your name makes me cringe. Four years ago I spent over a week in the hospital due to an exposure to clostridium difficile. Such bad diarrhea that I very nearly pooed out my spinal column. The full story is an exercise in hilarity, and losing 17 pounds in two weeks was a bizarre experience.

But welcome to the forum, C.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry - didn't mean to bring back bad memories. The name was originally referring to a different clostridium species (botulinum) that produces the toxin of the same name. There is yet another species (perfringens) that causes gas gangrene. The difficile member of the family that produces the toxin that causes the potentially life threatening diarrhea has been grabbing all the headlines though.

Craig

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.