Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm in Canada , Actually i have a 2012 TL SH AWD, end of the lease this december. Before i owned a 2010 G37X, and before 2 acura TL 2005 and 2007. I never have the awfull acura beak. :D

Actually i tried some cars like IS 350AWD , Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD, and Q 50.
Audi S4 and 335, for several reason, price and reliability i put them aside.

So i have narrowed my choice between ATS and Q50.

I was really impressed by the ATS, and engine sound was very nice. Q50 was like i was driving my g37X 2010. Q50 is a nice car, and i have always like the fun to drive factor of the infiniti. The exhaust sound is a bit muted thow.

why would you choose the infiniti other the caddy. I know i m on an infiniti forum, but i hope i will have honest comments.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Big reason is more interior room, especially in the rear. The V6 engine sound is still there, put it in sport mode. The biggest draw for me is the known quantity that is the Q50 drivetrain.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed. That ATS drivetrain is still in it early stages of life.

You will get bias opinions but most here would probably say go for the Q50.

Any interest in the TL replacement? (TLX)
I can't wait for a TLX because i must give back my lease car. And i just so a camo TLX pictures, so at best the new TLX will be available in spring. Too late for me

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Big reason is more interior room, especially in the rear. The V6 engine sound is still there, put it in sport mode. The biggest draw for me is the known quantity that is the Q50 drivetrain.
Thank you the quality and reliability is the question about the ATX. Smaller car yes for sure , but i don't really need the rear seats.

The rear fold seat in Q50 is a plus. It does exist in the ATX but only in low and high equipment level. Not in the middle one

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking at the same two, ATS and Q50. Right now I own a 2010 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon. I love the car. Like the way it handles, power (3.6 AWD), rear room. My wife does not find the seats very comfortable. From what I read on the Caddy forum, the cooled seats are harder than the non cooled. Also the CTS is a drop in car, not a slid in car, getting older and not as easy to get out after driving for a couple of hours.

I was really disappointed in the small trunk in the ATS. I has to have room for the golf clubs or when we travel, a couple of large suitcases. I haven't gotten serious enough to take clubs and suitcases to the dealer. My other nagging question is reliability of the Cadillac.

So far all I've done is research the Q50 on line and I really like what I see. Don't have an Infiniti dealer in town so I'll have to make a trip soon and check them out in person. I'm thinking if the Q50 is comfortable, easy to get in and out of and has a good sized trunk, it's going to be a red one. So glad Infiniti is finally offering a great red colour. To me, reliability is not going to be an issue. Had a murano and it was one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. Sold it because I was tired of seeing the same car as mine a hundred times a day. Haven't seen another sport wagon on the road in two and a half years of driving mine.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I haven't driven the Q50 yet, but here's my review of the ATS:

http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/in...-2013-cadillac-ats-today-thoughts-inside.html

Here's how I look at it:

Amenities:
Option for option, both cars are pretty much the same---I don't know what kind of options, engine, or drivetrain you're looking for, but the Q50 is likely to undercut the ATS price-wise maxed out option for option. The Q50 also has a few more gadgets available over the ATS, so if you're into a lot of tech in your car, the Q50 has the upper hand. In addition, both cars seem to be struggling a bit in their infotainment gadgetry as they're both relatively new cars.

Steering/Handling:
From everything I've read and seen and felt, the ATS is the much more nimble car. It's lighter and tighter in both its steering and handling. The Q50 is also a great handling car, but its higher weight will be felt a little bit more. As for the steering of the Q50, it's a mixed bag. Some people like it others hate it.

Practicality/Individuality:
If you're single or the car is just for you primarily, this is a wash--a lot of people will say that the ATS is too small in the back or has a tiny trunk, but it depends on your personal usage. It's especially evident in this comparison since the Q50 is nearly a small midsize sedan in comparison while the ATS is a true compact sedan. From an individuality standpoint, the ATS will provide you a bit more as it offers a little bit more in packaging for specific accessories/individual options. The ATS also has a bigger selection of interior choices.

Fuel Economy:
Comparing the V6 engines (3.6 versus the 3.7), the Q50 is more efficient in the city however the ATS is more efficient on the highway. Therefore I would think that the efficiency are quite neck and neck regardless.

Luxury/Looks:
Overall, I don't think the ATS is quite as head-turning as the Q50. The Q50 is a much more classy and sophisticated looking car by comparison (in my opinion). However, the ATS is still an extremely sharp and unique but in a different way. Interior wise, the ATS is much more shiny and elegant whereas the Q50 is more luxurious and technology-centric in its design.

Power/Performance:
Negligible, IMO. The Q50 might be a little bit faster due to its larger engine and transmission. HP and torque numbers are very close in each car as well. So, to me, it might just come down to how you prefer the engine and transmission delivery.

To me, both cars are equally great but in very different ways!

It's best to post this topic on an equally knowledgeable Cadillac ATS forum if you haven't already.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I dunno. It's conjecture at this point. There's not enough data to say whether the Q50 or the ATS specifically has the reliability edge.

In terms of JD Power Dependability, Cadillac (as a manufacturer, not the ATS specifically) has the better numbers overall compared to Infiniti. As far as the powertrain/engines are concerned, both the 3.6 and 3.7 have been a part of each company for quite some time. As far as the tech is concerned, it's also hard to say. I think the ATS might have an edge in their 2014 models specifically as their CUE systems are in their second generation while the Infiniti's Intouch is still in their first year.

I guess it depends on how you want to look at it.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
I has to have room for the golf clubs or when we travel, a couple of large suitcases.
Had room for two full set of clubs in the Hybrid (smaller trunk than non-hybrid). There is not room for clubs and large suit cases in the hybrid.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The real deal breaker for me on the ATS is the rear seat room. I drive a full carload of people around too often to go for a car with a cramped rear seat. The Q50 seems to be the best in its class on rear seating room.

The ATS has had some excellent reviews as a driver's car. The only real knock on it that I recall (besides the lack of room) was the transmission. Some reviewers felt the transmission was not nearly as good as the rest of the car.

I have some degree of bias against GM cars from prior experience, but Consumer Reports has said recently that all GM divisions are not the same. They indicated that Cadillac in particular had improved a lot in both performance and reliability in recent times. They also really, really liked the new CTS (coming out this fall), but that's another story. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you everyone for your very complete comments.

i agree on few points about the ATS.
rear room is not big
transmission not bad but not the best one.

Here in Canada the deal on lease for the cadillac are very good.

On the other side the Q50, i have had sone time to play with the two screens and i really like gadgets in the cars. but when i try to shut off the heated seat it was difficult , and it wasn t on the screen but on a simple button. and i did it few times and same thing. i think there is some bugs here and there. I know the infiniti service is quiet good, and it s the risk to buy a first year model.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm shopping the same two cars. I almost pulled the trigger on the ATS earlier this year, however I waited to see what the Q50 had to offer. I thought the G-series was going to go away, however now I understand they will continue to offer it until 2015 although I am no longer considering it now that the Q50 has arrived.

I need to drive both cars, however I'm leaning towards the Q50 due to the rear seat and trunk space. I use my car for business purposes and on a regular basis need to have room for 4 adults plus business cases/luggage and the rear seat and trunk space of the ATS will probably not work for my needs.

I just need to get past the "Angry Birds" look of the Q50 front fascia.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm shopping the same two cars. I almost pulled the trigger on the ATS earlier this year, however I waited to see what the Q50 had to offer. I thought the G-series was going to go away, however now I understand they will continue to offer it until 2015 although I am no longer considering it now that the Q50 has arrived.

I need to drive both cars, however I'm leaning towards the Q50 due to the rear seat and trunk space. I use my car for business purposes and on a regular basis need to have room for 4 adults plus business cases/luggage and the rear seat and trunk space of the ATS will probably not work for my needs.

I just need to get past the "Angry Birds" look of the Q50 front fascia.
i m in the same boat. i work with my car as a technical salesman. i need a lot of equipment and actually in my acura TL i m almost lacking of space. So trunk space is a point to look at.

For the look i like the angry bird look of the non sport Q50. on the rear i don t like the look of the hyundai sonatesk look

·
Registered
26 Posts
Consumer Reports gives a rating of 95 (which is highest) out of 100 to Infiniti G37 sedan and is a recommended sports sedan. ATS gets an over all rating of 76 in the same report for Compact sports sedans.
I think this sums it up. If reliability is your primary concern, then the Q50 is essentially a tried and proven G37 with new sheet metal and better fit and finish.

Cadillac does not have a similar track record, and let's face it, turbo charged cars tend to be more problematic as a whole (comes with the territory right).

Nonetheless, this really only matters if you keep your cars for 7-10 years. Since you are most likely leasing again, the Cadillac will be a fine car for a couple of years. In fact, the Audi S4 and BMW 335i would be as well. It's when you hit the 6-8 year period that Japanese cars shine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i change my car every 2.5 or 3 years. I m always within the warranty. but even within the warranty, it s a pain to. bring the car just for issues and not only for regular maintenance

oh and the ATS i m looking at is the 3.6, so no turbo

·
Registered
48 Posts
i change my car every 2.5 or 3 years. I m always within the warranty. but even within the warranty, it s a pain to. bring the car just for issues and not only for regular maintenance

oh and the ATS i m looking at is the 3.6, so no turbo
I'm also looking at the ATS 3.6. A friend of mine bought one earlier this year and I've road shotgun with him and it is a spirited car and definitely targeting the BWM 3-series in terms of performance. I just don't think I can get past the small back seat/trunk. If it was just me and I didn't need to worry about carrying passengers, luggage and golf clubs I would probably give the ATS the performance edge. I also like the Cadillac red better than the Infiniti red but that's just subjective taste. I'm sure there are people who like the Infiniti red better than the Cadillac red.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think this sums it up. If reliability is your primary concern, then the Q50 is essentially a tried and proven G37 with new sheet metal and better fit and finish.

Cadillac does not have a similar track record, and let's face it, turbo charged cars tend to be more problematic as a whole (comes with the territory right).

Nonetheless, this really only matters if you keep your cars for 7-10 years. Since you are most likely leasing again, the Cadillac will be a fine car for a couple of years. In fact, the Audi S4 and BMW 335i would be as well. It's when you hit the 6-8 year period that Japanese cars shine.
AGREE! My Acura TL APEC 6MT is 9 years old, 116,000 miles and problem free! My touch screen has never 'locked up' and needed to be rebooted! :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.