Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New q50s AWD Owner: Intro, Pictures, Feedback, & ??'s (Tech features frustrating me)

I am a new q50s owner from Pennsylvania (Northeast, PA).

Note: If this post is too long and you would prefer I post the different parts in the proper sections, I will.​

I switched over from Acura after owning two TLs; 2005 & 2010. I had considered the g37x in the past, but I'm a big fan of technology inside cars. I felt that in the past, that the g37x didn't offer the technology that Acura TL offered. With the g37x big more money, I didn't find it to be worth it the cost.

I had been considering making a change (buying something new). When I saw the q50 (early this year) on the website, I was immediately intrigued by the details, photos, and specs. I remember looking for info to test drive three times in May & June; only to find out it wasn't available. I went and looked at a Audi A6 when a friend mentioned to me in early September that the q50 (that I mentioned to him) was finally out.

So, I began negotiating with the dealer over the phone before even test driving. I test drove and got down to the price I wanted. It felt like an instinctive purchase and I didn't get a feel for the car before buying. I was blown away with the combo of style, design, performance, and technology. I didn't really like how the more expensive hybrid engine offered more power.

Price:

Anyway...I paid $49,700 my Q50s AWD w/Navi & Tech (which they head listed around 54 retail). So, I felt I got a good deal, especially with the high end value I got on my trade in. I also was very firm in my negotiations.

Purchase:

The whole purchase process at my dealer too WAY TO LONG. I was there from 3:30pm until 9:30. But, whatever...it is what it is...

The sales lady did a horrible job of explaining the features.

For example: She actually thought you couldn't turn the seat heat off with the hard button (she didn't realize it was three different settings).

So, I was left with learning the car myself (which I am usually fine with)

I still gave them fantastic ratings, because I am nice...

However, I do have some serious concerns about the car...

Initial Problems/Questions

First, I am really wondering when all Infiniti In-Touch Apps update will be released. I was a little annoyed after I bought the car to find out Pandoa and apps weren't available yet. The sales lady said "this month" is when the update would be released. Well...the month's nearing end.

After taking the car home......I pulled into my driveway after being on the phone with XM for another 30 mins getting my account moved over. However, I figured out the XL channel lock issue by reading these forums. My nav screen also froze a few times. I don't know how this can happen on a car of this price.

I called the dealer a few days later (as I already spent one entire day there) and he said they have an update available that fixes the screen delays, freezes, and XM issue. However, I found out that this new update didn't include the in-touch apps and new features. So, if it really was due out "this month" like she said, I figured I would wait.

Drive:

I am pleased with the drive. It rides nice, feels powerful, and the driving move features are nice. I feel it handles turns nice (with and without the turn stabilizer feature). The seating adjustments are comfortable and adds to to the driving experience; love the setting that wraps the seat edges around your torso.

I am still breaking the engine in for the first 500-600 miles before I do the first oil change. I still haven't really unleashed it's full power potential yet. I am always careful about the break-in before the first oil change on my new cars. Many car guys that I know all tell me that the pistons leave specs and other stuff in the oil before the first change and all new cars (especially luxuries need a good break in period and an early first oil change)

Look:

I love the style, the rims, and it's more sporty than my 2010 AWD TL was (although the 2010 TL had more truck and backseat space). It looks mean in the front and I absolutely love the overall style. I wanted the Sport for the 19" Rims and run flat tires. Those rims are awesome looking. I like them better without the high gloss ones.

Third Party Response:

The reaction has been a bit entertaining from friends and family. A friend who drives a lower end Nissan kept wanting to compare it to his little "Nissan Juke" (which might be the ugliest car ever made). Of course, my snobby ("Mr. 1upper") friend (who thinks BMW & Mercedes Benz are the only luxury car manufacturers worth buying) asked me, "What made you buy THAT specific car"....I just laughed. I had another jealous friend said "Nice Spaceship" in comment to my Facebook photos (which everyone didn't quite understand). But, everyone tells me how nice the car looks and I get comments from strangers as well...

Driving Technology (little irked...still tweaking):

The safety features, highway driving assistance, blind spot and sonor features are nice features. However, sometimes I don't want to use them. I am trying to figure out what I can turn off and on with the push of the button on the wheel. It seems only some of them are able to be actived with the button (and if I turn some of them off, they stay off...regardless of whether the wheel button is active or not). I am trying to customize it as much as possible, but it seems I am limited it what I can do.

In-Car Technology Features (Growing Frustration)

After 3 weeks of driving (breaking it in under 3000 RPMS). tinkering with the technology, I am beginning to have some serious concerns. I am someone who always uses the bluetooth phone features and I also use the voice commands to make calls.

Setup & Bluetooth Phone (iphone5):
The sales lady (in the 10 minutes of showing me my car) initially helped me connect my phone and setup the usersetting (and kept the other key on the sidewalk as she said you can only setup one key at a time and it might confuse the system). I thought this was strange. But I figured it out that it assigns the key to a user. Anyway, she put my username in and I connected my bluetooth phone.

However, after one week, the Bluetooth features have begun to drive me absolutely insane. I need to be able to use my phone in my car at all times. However, my phonebook greys out at random times (more often than not) on the navi screen when I hit the menu on the wheel and my ability to make calls is not available. This happens while driving all the freaking time.

Text Messages:
The lady at the dealership said the text message feature would not be available until the next update. However, my text messages were popping up on the screen during the two weeks and I was able to quick reply and read them (when stopped). So perhaps she was wrong about this? However, I was getting annoyed with the voice reading them to me (getting tired of the voice lady on the voice recognition features as well). I couldn't find a way to turn this off.

Bluetooth & Text Not Working At All Now
Just yesterday, I got in my car and my bluetooth wasn't connecting at all (perhaps because I got in with another key). So, deleted my user setting and turned off the card. I then re-did the user setup for this key (and figured would make sure to use this key every time).

However after doing this, I would make a call by hitting a number in my phone book with my steering wheel menu controls. My phone would make the call but nothing would come up over the speaker. Tried checking the volume. However, I ended up being stuck picking up my actual phone and changing the source to my iphone's headset. When I did this, I heard "hello? hello?" as if they were waiting for a while. I tried calling the dealer at 6:05 yesterday and nobody was available to help me.

Also, now that I re-did the set-up, my text message feature doesn't work either now and it says "This feature may not be available on your phone"

Not pleased with this in-touch at all at the moment. I find the news and stock feeds are lame and don't provide you with any content on the screen. The buttons aren't responsive. It just has the voice thing reading them to you (which is rather annoying).

I am really hoping this new update comes soon and provides solutions for these obvious bugs and glitches. I was expecting much better, more responsive, technology features. I don't want the machine voice lady talking to me every time I want to use voice commands or every time I get a text (which doesn't work now). I also need to use my bluetooth phone.

I am pretty tech savvy and can pick things up pretty quick. I went through all the settings in on the touch screen. I didn't exactly get blown away with the options and customize settings. There were some settings that I didn't understand, which I guess I have to look through the manual for.
Other:

I washed it the other day and found it weird that I had to pull back on the rain wipers in order to turn them upward (as this is the only way to lift them for cleaning/changing).

Any suggestions with regards to my concerns and issues that you may have, I'd very much appreciate. I know this is an introduction forum. So, I will gladly take my questions to the appropriate forums if necessary.

Thank You!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Congrats on your Q50 S AWD and welcome to the forum Louie. A lot of people here in the forum are experiencing technical troubles / glitches with their Q50s as well which has made me hold off on leasing one until the "big" update and have even started looking at other cars (BMW 335i Sport). I use my iPod and backup camera on my G37 daily and I just don't think that I couldn't handle these issues on a day to day basis, especially on a 45-50K car! (don't have the patience)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome and grats on your new Q.

I am also from NE PA and based on your pictures, we purchased from the same dealership. I also experienced the same all day affair and had a less than stellar salesperson. Not impressed! I actually sent an email to the owner and sales manager to complain. Since then, I have spoken with both the Executive Manager and the Owner and they assigned me a new salesperson (Brandon) whom I greatly recommend! They also through me a 3 yr basic maintenance packages for my troubles and say they are changing some internal policies to try and prevent these sort of things in the future.

They should have setup a follow up to review any questions/concerns after your first couple of weeks of ownership. I would recommend requesting Brandon as he was very knowledgeable.

I have not experienced any glitches with the Bluetooth and my phone (Samsung Galaxy S4). And text messaging definitely has been working. I would make sure you have the latest software version, even though it will not include the apps, it has fixed a lot of issues for people.

As far a the wipers while washing, the manual says to turn them on and then off mid sweep so you can lift them when replacing. I would recommend the same during washing. Although, I do find that a bit cumbersome as well.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Congrat on your new Q50.
I highly recommend you take your car in to get the current software update. It should fix a lots of the issues you encounter.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your Q50!

I am a new q50s owner from Pennsylvania (Northeast, PA).

I switched over from Acura after owning two TLs; 2005 & 2010. I had considered the g37x in the past, but I'm a big fan of technology inside cars. I felt that in the past, that the g37x didn't offer the technology that Acura TL offered. With the g37x big more money, I didn't find it to be worth it the cost.
I also came over from a 2005 TL and I was really impressed with the technology in the car. This was one of the biggest reasons for jumping back over to Infiniti from my TL, even though I loved my 3rd Gen TL.

Initial Problems/Questions

First, I am really wondering when all Infiniti In-Touch Apps update will be released. I was a little annoyed after I bought the car to find out Pandoa and apps weren't available yet. The sales lady said "this month" is when the update would be released. Well...the month's nearing end.
Yeah this had been a big deal for most of us here. It should be released sometime soon. Infiniti has done a great job though dealing with the issues that we've encountered since the release and they've had a great turn around time on fixes. The last "update" that came out was really a patch to fix issue than an "update" per say. That's why it was listed as a TSB instead.

Other:

I washed it the other day and found it weird that I had to pull back on the rain wipers in order to turn them upward (as this is the only way to lift them for cleaning/changing).

Any suggestions with regards to my concerns and issues that you may have, I'd very much appreciate. I know this is an introduction forum. So, I will gladly take my questions to the appropriate forums if necessary.

Thank You!
This video and the manual also shows how to deal with the wipers:

Its actually not a bad process, I like the fact that the blades are hidden under the hood and there is a straight forward way to get them to pop up to clean.

As for the other issues you are having with the inTouch, I would take it back to your dealer and let them know. Maybe there is some new stuff that needs to be looked at and the engineers could find a solution for. The engineers were really great with working on the issues in our cars for drivers who got their cars back in August and coming up with fixes for them.

I was particularly pleased with the way the engineers handled my issues and worked on my car for over a week and how they worked with me to pinpoint actual scenarios for issues.

Good luck with your car. I'm sure you will be pleased over time as updates come out.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
The safety measures can be confusing at first. The button on the steering wheel needs to pressed every time you start your car to activate any of he tech safety features (forward collision, emergency braking, lane departure warning & prevention, etc).

It's sort of the 'main' on switch for turning on all of the features you've selected.

Now, each feature can be manually turned off via in-touch so, for example, I turn off the lane departure warning and prevention on regular, back road driving but enable it on the highway. You can do this with each of the tech safety features by going to the main menu, swipe left to the second screen and select 'driver assist'. Here you can select or deselect the individual options you want activated when you press the button on the steering wheel.

Right from the manual, as an example, below. You can turn off the lane departure prevention as follows:

Pg 5-35 or the manual:

How to enable/disable the LDP
system
Perform the following steps to enable or disable the LDP system.
1. Push the MENU button *1 and touch [Driver Assistance] on the lower dis- play.
2. Touch [Lane Assist].
3. Touch [Lane Departure Prevention] to enable or disable the system.

When you press the steering wheel button, you should see a graphic of the car and green lines will designate what has been individually activated or deactivated via in-touch.

Give it a try with lane departure first by activating and deactivating it and look at the graphic in the central display and you should see what I mean.

It was confusing to me at first but the folks on the forum helped a lot.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies...

My bluetooth phone worked when I drove my car today. However, I am starting to wonder if this is a safety feature which doesn't allow you to access your phonebook (using the steering wheel menu controls) when the car is in motion. This is a little frustrating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on your Q50 S AWD and welcome to the forum Louie. A lot of people here in the forum are experiencing technical troubles / glitches with their Q50s as well which has made me hold off on leasing one until the "big" update and have even started looking at other cars (BMW 335i Sport). I use my iPod and backup camera on my G37 daily and I just don't think that I couldn't handle these issues on a day to day basis, especially on a 45-50K car! (don't have the patience)
I am not having an issue with the backup camera or the ipod / bluetooth audio. That being said, if this is your main concern and this is the car you want, I wouldn't be afraid to purchase it. I am very pleased with the ipod/bluetooth radio features. It brings up the album covers, my podcast menu, playlists, etc...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome and grats on your new Q.

I am also from NE PA and based on your pictures, we purchased from the same dealership. I also experienced the same all day affair and had a less than stellar salesperson. Not impressed! I actually sent an email to the owner and sales manager to complain. Since then, I have spoken with both the Executive Manager and the Owner and they assigned me a new salesperson (Brandon) whom I greatly recommend! They also through me a 3 yr basic maintenance packages for my troubles and say they are changing some internal policies to try and prevent these sort of things in the future.

They should have setup a follow up to review any questions/concerns after your first couple of weeks of ownership. I would recommend requesting Brandon as he was very knowledgeable.
Nice to hear from someone in my area who owns this new model as well. Unfortunately, we are limited in our dealership options unless we are willing to make a 75+ mile drive (especially for luxury cars in a blue collar area).

Yes, I wasn't impressed at all with the dealership experience at all. I purchased my first Acura in Lancaster and I felt I got A+ service and was treated very well (pales in comparison). The car I bought back in 2005 had just gotten off the truck and I actually got the whole thing done quicker there (even went for lunch while they were cleaning it). I bought my next TL at Motorworld and this was very quick. The negotiation wasn't as tedious either.

I did speak with sales manager briefly at Bennett when I was there. I wish I had stated I wanted to deal with him and him alone. I still dealt with my sales guy, who wasn't great at all.

After my test drive, I waited for a good 30 minutes before even getting back to negotiations.

I also found the finance manager to be a little bit smug and unpleasant.

Can you PM me and let me know the name of the guy you emailed (I think I know who it is) and who you dealt with when you made your purchase?

I'm way too nice of a guy in the respect that I don't want some sales guy to lose his job (as I know what it's like to make a living in sales). I'm not a sucker when it comes to money, but I just can't leave bad reviews when I get them. But, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta in order to let them know where you stand as a customer.

It's nice to know another q50 owner in the area as I think communication between us on these forums could be beneficial.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another thing that pissed me off about the dealer is that when I got in the car for a test drive I specifically asked the sales lady, "Does any of this stuff require a subscription". He answer was "no". Not only do I find that infiniti connection is a subscription based service, but so is the itouch apps (when available). Also the infiniti connection plus is like $300 a year and only comes with a one-year subscription.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I took delivery of the car with the new update and so far it has been spot on. I was becoming hesitant after reading all the reviews before the update but ultimately made the right decision. And I'm sure the next big update will cure the other ailments as well

·
Registered
59 Posts
Funny, I actually got along very well with the finance mgr.

I am usually way too nice and easy going on people, and really took the approach of "You need to be aware so you can fix it, because I will not recommend you to people."

PM on its way.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got a 5 year loan from my bank at 1.7%, at first they tried to say I'd lose a $1000 discount the bank pays, but then they realized its the same bank they use and took the loan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.