Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone looked into this rear mount setup? and how do you guys think it will fare up (reliability, spool time, etc?) since it looks fairly new and the way its setup is quite interesting, was looking at their a2a supercharger for a while but for the price it looks intriguing, thoughts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
246 Posts
I was talking to Aaron about this a little while back, and was close to be one of his first customers before I decided to move to a V8 car instead. It seems very promising for those looking for 500-600whp, but may be a bit small of a squirrel-cage for much more than that. Oil-less turbos do make a me a tad uncomfortable, and searching around CompTurbos as a whole seem to have a mixed reputation. With that said TopGunZ has been top of the boosted VQ game for ages, so I doubt he'd pick a lemon to build his kit around. Not going to be very many of these around, but I'd be exicted to hear from anyone who has installed and gone for a more serious build than the 7.5psi it was tested with.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,131 Posts
What's the turbo boost lag considering how long the piping is?

Reactions: SkylineDreamz

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was talking to Aaron about this a little while back, and was close to be one of his first customers before I decided to move to a V8 car instead. It seems very promising for those looking for 500-600whp, but may be a bit small of a squirrel-cage for much more than that. Oil-less turbos do make a me a tad uncomfortable, and searching around CompTurbos as a whole seem to have a mixed reputation. With that said TopGunZ has been top of the boosted VQ game for ages, so I doubt he'd pick a lemon to build his kit around. Not going to be very many of these around, but I'd be exicted to hear from anyone who has installed and gone for a more serious build than the 7.5psi it was tested with.
looks very promising and i’m very intrigued if i’m being honest, unfortunately my daily is my q so on the reliable side of things and maintenance i’d probably feel as if the a2a would be a better route for me, but at the same time i also wouldn’t mind the rear mount so i’m stuck in between lol, i am i’m socal and we hardly get rain but sometimes when we do it gets pretty messy, how’s your experience with rain and a rear mount? any issues or things i can do to avoid getting water sucked into the filter and into somewhere it shouldn’t ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
from a video i saw that topgunz linked from a discussion they started here a few months back it doesn’t seem to lag like you’d expect it tbh, sounds like the turbo spools pretty decently quick
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=588197602362432&id=100035165914070 this is the link they posted where you can see the video, it’s not working anymore for me and asking me to log in but i did screen record it, i’m just not sure how to post a video onto here

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
My current toy is a rear mounted billet 7875 turbo with a 10.5:1 LS6 with a 6 speed manual. Makes north of 700whp and is hilarious to drive. A few rules to pay attention to:
  • You must size the turbo properly if you want it to spool well. This typically means a slightly smaller turbine size and A/R.
  • You need to retain as much heat in the hot side as possible to the turbo. No headers, no larger diameter exhaust pipes, etc. Wrap/coat everything.
  • Personally I think the oil-less turbo's from COMP are obnoxiously over priced and you still have to run a water line to them. Their grease is outrageously expensive and it has to be done basically every oil change. So a standard oil fed turbo needs oil ran from the motor through the turbo and then back with some type of scavenge pump. Do not cheap out on the pump and always run a check valve right at the inlet to the turbo or you'll end up coming out to the car every morning with a puddle of oil under the car and a puff of blue smoke on start up from the turbo pooling oil due the gravity overnight. The oil to the turbo needs to be clean/post filter if possible and the return line should be larger than the feed and returned as low as possible to the motor. You dont NEED a restrictor on the oil feed line, but you'll run into issues if you don't a good enough return to get the oil back to the motor.
-Run some type of low oil pressure idiot light or buzzer in the event that the oil line comes loose and you drop oil pressure.
- Rear mount turbos are very sensitive to post turbine exhaust. It really needs to be free flowing and as short as possible. I have a full muffler as well as an electric cutout right off the turbo. It barely makes boost with the cutout fully closed and will crack 15 psi no prob with the cutout open.

·
Registered
2016 Q50 Redsport 400 RWD
330 Posts

·
Registered
Infiniti Q50 Premium 3.0t AWD
1,241 Posts
What's the turbo boost lag considering how long the piping is?
Not sure about the specifics of this kit, and I know it's different with a Coyote, but I saw a video about a boosted 5.0 F150 with the turbo in the bed, and the boost lag was not bad at all. Obviously it could be a different story with the displacement of the VQ37, but it wasn't close to as bad as I expected.

·
Registered
2016 Q50 Redsport 400 RWD
330 Posts
Not sure about the specifics of this kit, and I know it's different with a Coyote, but I saw a video about a boosted 5.0 F150 with the turbo in the bed, and the boost lag was not bad at all. Obviously it could be a different story with the displacement of the VR30, but it wasn't close to as bad as I expected.
He's referring to the VQ37HR powered Q50.

In all seriousness OP it is not that bad if you set it up right like mentioned above, my buddy just completed a Single Turbo G37x and he says there is barely any lag

·
Registered
Infiniti Q50 Premium 3.0t AWD
1,241 Posts
He's referring to the VQ37HR powered Q50.

In all seriousness OP it is not that bad if you set it up right like mentioned above, my buddy just completed a Single Turbo G37x and he says there is barely any lag
Oh that's what I meant, I was thinking 3.7 vs 5.0 in my head and typed the engine code for my car. My bad!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
A 3 liter is fine, you just need to size the turbo appropriately. You're not going to make 700whp and spool at 2000 rpms on a rear mount with a normal 3 liter daily driver.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,836 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.