Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Rochester, NY
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took advantage of the “buy 3 get 1 for a dollar” tire deal from Infiniti as an excuse to ditch the run flats and get new wheels and tires. Wheels are ESR RF2 18x8.5 ET 30 in graphite and tires are Conti DWS 6 plus 245/45/18. Loving the new look. It sits almost flush - probably as far out as I want to go. I debated about 18 vs 19 inch but since I intend to keep these on year round, given that the pot holes and roads in the winter can get pretty bad, I wanted a little extra cushion with the 18 inch sidewall. And yes, it would look better lowered but that’s something I don’t want to do.

There are two negatives, though. These new wheels cover less of the brakes than the OEM wheels which mean the ugly non-sport brakes show through! A brake upgrade might be in my future. And secondly, as mentioned above, the wheels/tires are more flush (by design) than the OEM setup so mudflaps are probably a good idea. Too bad the OEM ones don’t extend very far out but I guess they are better than nothing?
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
looks great! dont worry about the brakes, you care far more than anyone else. its not like someone is going to publicly shame you over them. ive viewed the oem mudflaps as mainly an aesthetic mod. they have limited practicality due to the body lines, especially the rear.

Reactions: Q50Wolf

·
Registered
Rochester, NY
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks great! dont worry about the brakes, you care far more than anyone else. its not like someone is going to publicly shame you over them. ive viewed the oem mudflaps as mainly an aesthetic mod. they have limited practicality due to the body lines, especially the rear.
Thanks. I hear you about the brakes but red calipers sure would look nice against the graphite wheels! Lol.

·
Registered
Rochester, NY
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2018 Signature.(sold)
2,879 Posts
I took advantage of the “buy 3 get 1 for a dollar” tire deal from Infiniti as an excuse to ditch the run flats and get new wheels and tires. Wheels are ESR RF2 18x8.5 ET 30 in graphite and tires are Conti DWS 6 plus 245/45/18. Loving the new look. It sits almost flush - probably as far out as I want to go. I debated about 18 vs 19 inch but since I intend to keep these on year round, given that the pot holes and roads in the winter can get pretty bad, I wanted a little extra cushion with the 18 inch sidewall. And yes, it would look better lowered but that’s something I don’t want to do.

There are two negatives, though. These new wheels cover less of the brakes than the OEM wheels which mean the ugly non-sport brakes show through! A brake upgrade might be in my future. And secondly, as mentioned above, the wheels/tires are more flush (by design) than the OEM setup so mudflaps are probably a good idea. Too bad the OEM ones don’t extend very far out but I guess they are better than nothing? View attachment 112483 View attachment 112491
18" wheels have been my choice on the Q, the are like my Fast FC 04 that I still have.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Will a brake upgrade fit the wheels you got? I’ve read that some 18s clear and some don’t, depending on how concave they are. I’d love to get 18s for mine, but I also want 6 pot front and 4 pot rear calipers, so I think I have to get larger discs which will probably make 18s impossible for me.

·
Registered
Rochester, NY
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will a brake upgrade fit the wheels you got? I’ve read that some 18s clear and some don’t, depending on how concave they are. I’d love to get 18s for mine, but I also want 6 pot front and 4 pot rear calipers, so I think I have to get larger discs which will probably make 18s impossible for me.
Good question. I'm not sure. I'd have to find a way to figure that out first. No hurry though, it's not something I would do any time soon.

Here's a short discussion on that very subject. It looks like some of the OEM 18 inch will work:

Reactions: SkylineDreamz

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I guess I’m too demanding, but OEM wheels won’t do it for me unless I get them rebarreled for more offset… at which point I should just order custom wheels from stance. Which I would consider… if I could find a guarantee that they’ll clear a massive break set up….. or just accept that 19’ wheels are my most economical option lol. I hate compromising.

Reactions: Q50Wolf

·
Registered
Rochester, NY
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I’m too demanding, but OEM wheels won’t do it for me unless I get them rebarreled for more offset… at which point I should just order custom wheels from stance. Which I would consider… if I could find a guarantee that they’ll clear a massive break set up….. or just accept that 19’ wheels are my most economical option lol. I hate compromising.
At some point, if I get serious about a brake upgrade, I could measure the current clearance with the stock non-sport calipers (seems like there is a lot) and if I had dimensions of the Akebonos I might be able to determine if they would fit.

Reactions: SkylineDreamz

·
Registered
Rochester, NY
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did a quick search and I came across a few folks using aftermarket 18 inch wheels for winter with Akebono brakes. So there is an existence proof. However, as you mention, I’m sure it depends on the particular wheel offset/concavity.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yeah, should be fine with regard to the barrel ID on an 18" wheel but it's the spokes (and offset) that will determine if they'll work. That part could be said on a 19" or even 20" wheel though.

EDIT - here's my stock RS set-up to show how much room is left between caliper and barrel

Front

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hubcap Tread

Rear

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
Rochester, NY
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, should be fine with regard to the barrel ID on an 18" wheel but it's the spokes (and offset) that will determine if they'll work. That part could be said on a 19" or even 20" wheel though.

EDIT - here's my stock RS set-up to show how much room is left between caliper and barrel
I know the the same wheels in 19x8.5 ET 30 (same offset) clear the Akebonos as @dal3_gribble had these wheels upgraded with the BBK. So maybe my 18x8.5 ET 30 might as well.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,706 Posts
I'm running 18 x 8.5, +38 in the winter. Not a lot of spoke and barrel clearance, but enough.

Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
Rochester, NY
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
Reactions: mapleDom

·
Registered
2018 Signature.(sold)
2,879 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: Pillboy

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
Sharp, looking there Pill, newer now, then when you bought it. When I had the 18x10 on my car there was more space.
LOL, those pics are from when the car was 6 months old in the fall of 2018.

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
I'm sure it still looks the same now.;)
A little over 18k miles...almost worn out.

I figure if I don't drive it much the block will remain non-porous and the turbos shouldn't fail and the blend door actuator should still work and the DCU's SD card won't fail.

Basically I'm afraid to drive it.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,718 Posts
A little over 18k miles...almost worn out.

I figure if I don't drive it much the block will remain non-porous and the turbos shouldn't fail and the blend door actuator should still work and the DCU's SD card won't fail.

Basically I'm afraid to drive it.
These are my hopes also but I'm at 27K miles. I feel like the clouds of doom are closing in on me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts