Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
'17 AWD Q50SS
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
While driving long distance I realized my car was a little out of alignment and/or unbalanced, it shuddered when speeding up especially.no problem, I scheduled a time at the dealer for alignment rotation and balance. Went to dealer, asked them to check suspension components for anything abnormal as well. Suspension came back good, but I was told by the dealer my OEM wheels are bent.
I ended up buying the bullet and purchased OEM Q60 wheels
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Cloud

I thought, great problem fixed! But while driving this weekend UT->NorCal I realized the car has the same issues! If suspension components are all good, what could it be? I’ll try to take a video, but has anyone else experienced this?

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,381 Posts
Driveshaft lost a balancing weight?

·
Registered
427 Posts
You will still need an alignment after getting new wheels if the dimensions of the new wheels are different than the original wheels. If the new tires are wider or different in size youll need an alignmen. Also the wheels shake due to improper balancing of the tires. I know this because I was in the same dilemma as you and got new tires and new wheels and they were still vibrating like crazy. I went back and found that each wheel was off by a couple ounces of weights which is quite big. So make sure they do a road force balance of the wheels and there proper.

·
Premium Member
'17 AWD Q50SS
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Driveshaft lost a balancing weight?
Funny you should say that, I was thinking it had to do with the driveshaft since I had experience with that on my Jeep. I thought otherwise, since I had not heard anyone having issues with driveshafts.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,381 Posts
It's a really crappy shop that can't balance wheels right the first time.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It's a really crappy shop that can't balance wheels right the first time.
Yeah man, but it also depends on the person working on your car. You go to Americas Tire also known as Discount Tires and you’ll have that problem. Sometimes youll luck out and they’ll get it just right with the balancing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi guys,
While driving long distance I realized my car was a little out of alignment and/or unbalanced, it shuddered when speeding up especially.no problem, I scheduled a time at the dealer for alignment rotation and balance. Went to dealer, asked them to check suspension components for anything abnormal as well. Suspension came back good, but I was told by the dealer my OEM wheels are bent.
I ended up buying the bullet and purchased OEM Q60 wheels View attachment 109296

I thought, great problem fixed! But while driving this weekend UT->NorCal I realized the car has the same issues! If suspension components are all good, what could it be? I’ll try to take a video, but has anyone else experienced this?

welcome to the shudder club.. my car does the same thing if its at a lower RPM 3k and below and you give it gas and speed up..i talked to my tuner about it and we did tuning while driving to try and tune it out it's still there just but not as bad. and it doesn't do it all the time

Reactions: Batell

·
Premium Member
'17 AWD Q50SS
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
2021 Q50 RS400
175 Posts
Hi guys,
I ended up buying the bullet and purchased OEM Q60 wheels View attachment 109296

Could be TIRES!

I had a flat, too thin to patch, so i had to replace both rear tires (unplanned.) So i chose the Goodyear non-run flat, all season something or other. ++ handling and higher speed rated to 186.

It's like i got balloons on the back wheels. All over the road. Have to babysit the car in a straight line on a level service, with a shimmy that i can watch by the visors shaking.

Going back in today. OEM dunlops for now, until i do some more tire research.

12k miles and im replacing tires. Is that normal?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Could be TIRES!

I had a flat, too thin to patch, so i had to replace both rear tires (unplanned.) So i chose the Goodyear non-run flat, all season something or other. ++ handling and higher speed rated to 186.

It's like i got balloons on the back wheels. All over the road. Have to babysit the car in a straight line on a level service, with a shimmy that i can watch by the visors shaking.

The best tires in the runflat category for me that I have found are the Michelin Primacy 3 ZP 245/40/19 and 275/35/19 run flats. They also have a 30,000 mile warranty and there great with no vibrations and are a softer and smoother tire compared to some run flats on the market.

·
Premium Member
'17 AWD Q50SS
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could be TIRES!

That would be quite odd. My tires are relatively new @ ~4k miles. I did size up to 265/35 and I have stuck with Conti DWS06+
I feel your pain. After summer, my all seasons were almost slicks

Reactions: RaceCar

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Could be TIRES!

I had a G8 GT that just chewed through tires. The belts would start shifting at around 15K miles to the point that a Road Force balance could not get them right. Goodyear Eagle RSAs, Conti DWS (first gen to be fair). The Michelin Pilot Sport AS (first gen) held up the best. Not sure why I had these problems. Were tires worse in 2009? Was simply the weight and torque of the G8 too much for them?

I know we are talking apples and oranges here with both the car and the tires. My point is that tires can go bad and cause problems long before they wear out. A Road Force balance attempt by a competent tech may shed some light on this.

Reactions: Batell and RaceCar
1 - 14 of 14 Posts